It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's in the box

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Lets start by saying I have been doing my work for over 30 years. We go from one jobsite to the next.

Started a job in the city where we park on the top floor of a parking structure. Company pays so probably cheapest parking for all of us. I'm good with that.

But, lately been a homeless guy sleeping in the elevator of the parking structure. Not every morning, but enough to have some apprehension when the door opens.

The last few times we have seen him he has a girlfriend and the now are camped out in the elevator lobby at the top floor of the parking structure.

At first we just took the stairs down and I laughed that he met her at a soup kitchen and invited her to his place...

But now, I want to make a box for them, something i can keep in my car and drop. They are not there every morning so Mc D's is out of the question.

I was thinking condoms and tampons... fresh fruit ....I dont know their story,... They had what looked like a comfy blanket this morning

What would you want to wake up to if sleeping in a parking structure? What can I put in a box that is non perishable, but you would be happy to have?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
What a kind idea. You are to be commended.
What to put in the box.....well depends on how big you want to go.
Sleeping bags, a backpack, some snacks, socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, baby wipes for cleaning up, case of water and maybe some gift certificates for Breakfast at McDonalds or somewhere.
Pay It Forward!
a reply to: tinner07

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: FreeFalling

Pop-Tarts, a flashlight/batteries, Gatorade, jar of pickles, morning paper and a port-a-potty.

My GF drives me nuts because she likes to give "homeless?" people cash, and they PROBABLY just go score recreational items rather than put it towards fueling the needs of a hungry body.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Wow, I commend you.
S&F

If everyone was like you, the planet would exist in ultimate harmony, encompassing universal compassion for our fellow humans, eradicating poverty, starvation and general corruption.

Ummm... But that might also mean there's no need for ATS... Hang on, I need to rethink that, lol.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FreeFalling

Don;t commend me. I think they should get off their ass and work like I have . but I like the socks and toothbrush and tooth paste.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Send me the bill....

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Pop-Tarts, a flashlight/batteries, Gatorade, jar of pickles, morning paper and a port-a-potty.

the morning paper would be hard because they are not always there. Plus I dont get the morning paper. But why the morning paper? Job listings? Why a jar of pickles? Is that a joke? I am being serious. I have never dealt with anything lke this before.

[''''''''''''

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinocchio

Send me the bill....

well those people need new shocks on their truck....that bill?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Canned food? Coffee, a box of sugar packets, water or soda cans if possible. Maybe kind of stuff you take for trips to the wilderness, survival stuff i mean

Money should be a no go, unless it is accompanied by a body bag for when they pass out and never wake up after the overdose?

But seriously, i went homeless for a bit and had to sleep under a bench park for a few nights, the thing i feel i wanted the most was something warm to eat, because i had to eat cold stuff from cans, but i don't know if there is something like that. Like a portable stove or something similar that doesn't require to connect to land power and can help them get some hot food or coffee

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Yeah honestly I want to do something for them but I have worked 30 plus years busting my ass learning my trade. I started sheet metal work when I was 18 years old.

I think the pop tarts suggestion is good....

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Yeah honestly I want to do something for them but I have worked 30 plus years busting my ass learning my trade. I started sheet metal work when I was 18 years old.

I think the pop tarts suggestion is good....

Crackers and tuna cans, the kind that doesn't need a can opener work well and keep you going for the day

Sometimes people just can't find the way out, even if they want to, i can't say i have a trade or whatever because i'm just starting college but still i know people who are out there with no way out

Like this guy he's like 60 or so and it's out there talking to himself and i learned he used to teach science at college level but had some mental issues that eventually took him down and now he just walks around town talking to himself.

Sometimes he sits on the street and starts lecturing about science, it's very sad, he needs help and no one gives it to him.

I admire what you want to do, can't explain well but it is wonderful, some people really can change if they get just a bit of help and a push forward to fix their lifes
edit on 27-9-2018 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Having known people in that situation, and having been in that situation myself, personal hygiene items and storable food items go a long way. Gift cards to places that don't sell alcohol might be appreciated, but even those can be exchanged for money at half their value at many places. Throw a bag of tobacco in, creature comforts like that can make someone's day. Fresh socks, boxers, simple clothing that most people take for granted or don't think about often.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

1 "My Pillow"
1 Flashlight
1 Sleeping Bag
1 Tent
1 Army Surplus Mess Kit
1 First Aid Kit
1 Bible
1 Hundred Dollars

Pass it Forward.
S&F

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
Having known people in that situation, and having been in that situation myself, personal hygiene items and storable food items go a long way. Gift cards to places that don't sell alcohol might be appreciated, but even those can be exchanged for money at half their value at many places. Throw a bag of tobacco in, creature comforts like that can make someone's day. Fresh socks, boxers, simple clothing that most people take for granted or don't think about often.

I don't smoke and i wasn't out for too long to not have dirty clothes so i missed that, didn't think about it but yes it makes perfect sense. Clothes specially i think would be way cool to have if they have been way too many days out there and have no way to clean them up

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Wonderful ideas in here. When you run into them again, you could ask them what they need. Your thoughtfulness and generosity will be greatly appreciated. Kudos!

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Amen.
With Grace.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Not anything too heavy because they have to carry it with them or stash it. I wouldn't do a jar of pickles. In the first place, it's glass, and secondly, pickles have almost 0 calories. A huge pickle will have something between 5 and 20 calories so if your objective is to provide food, pickles are not a great thing. Tuna is good, but again I wouldn't do cans here, there are foil pouches of tuna now, and I'd buy those instead.

I would do something like the towel, some chap stick, tuna pouches, bags of beef jerky, and some socks or gloves. Don't be afraid to give them used towels and socks. Instead of donating to Salvation Army or wherever, you can pass stuff on directly.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Wonderful ideas in here. When you run into them again, you could ask them what they need. Your thoughtfulness and generosity will be greatly appreciated. Kudos!

They are always sleeping when we see them. 5:30 in the morning and really don't want to speak with them, just drop a box of some stuff I guess.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I do like the idea of the tuna packs with crackers, some gloves and socks...jerky and some snacks.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Not sure if you have noticed, but maybe put everything in a backpack in stead, if they don't have one. Would make it a bit easier for him to carry the stuff around? And you can get a cheap one from any dollar store.
Very nice of you do want to do this, though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join