It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make Your Own Pizza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hi ATS

A couple of years ago my mom went on a mission to find the best pizza crust recipe and I'm happy to report her mission a success.

I thought I'd share the results here in case anyone is interested.

Roberta's Pizza Dough recipe, first published in NY Times, makes as good a crust as any I hope to find anywhere.

www.epicurious.com...

The first two times I made it, I did not have the 00 flour to mix with the regular and it still turned out amazing, but I'm looking forward to tonight (and even better, tomorrow-- the refrigerated dough I use the following day is always the best) now that I am following the recipe to a T.

I'm also using this recipe for the sauce- got some ripe romas from the garden and fresh basil, garlic I grew over the winter.

cooking.nytimes.com...

Top it off with fresh mozzerella, some more fresh basil and garlic, for some of the best pizza you've ever tried

Mangia!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I like me a good pizza.......thanks!!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Damn you double post you have bested me again.

edit on 27-9-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Glad to share info that's of interest to some!

Enjoy!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I love pizza, my first job (not a paper-route) was at Olympia Pizza here in Seattle.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Fellow pizza lover here too, so you me and that rat definitely have something in common!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I will try the pizza dough recipe, the sauce link wants me to give up personal stuff to read.

I did work at place in high school.... Little Ceasers. we did make the pizza dough into balls every day... let them rest in the cooler and used yesterday's pizza dough today. I lasted 2 days lol

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

The dough really is legit. I haven't tried the sauce yet but it really looks to be promising. And simple which I don't mind either.
As for the sauce, well no sauce is worth one's privacy. Here's what you'll find on the link

5 lbs roma tomatoes, pinch salt, olive oil, a sprig of fresh basil, clove garlic, and a bay leaf.

Cut the tomatoes in halves or quarters. Squeeze out the seeds, or don’t (I never mind a few seeds in the sauce). Place the cut side against the large holes of the grater and gently rub until only the tomato skin remains in your hand. Add a pinch of salt, a little olive oil, a garlic clove and a sprig of basil. A spoonful of tomato paste helps thicken the sauce.

This makes a very fresh- and bright-tasting sauce in a manageable small batch. It doesn’t cook for hours — 15 to 20 minutes are really all it takes

www.nytimes.com...
But the real gem here is that dough recipe.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the post, I could live off the stuff. I'm going to try it.

If you like tomatoes on your pizza try this. Use your crust (sounds amazing) and make a Hawaiian White

Olive oil instead of sauce followed by a Romano/Parm cheese mix. then add tomatoes,onion,ham,pineapple,bacon. sprinkle a little mozz on top to keep the toppings in place. delicious!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabrechucker

Yes, really sounds incredible and I have most ingredients on hand. I'll try it for lunch tomorrow with the leftover dough!

Thanks, looking forward to it

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Deal, I'll try the crust. I make my own every friday

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Only after I bought (and used since) a pizza stone for my oven, homemade pizza came close to perfection.

How do you do your toppings?
Try should be sauce - cheese - toppings.
Not sauce - toppings - lots of cheese.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I'll give it a go

I've got a good dough recipe kicking around somewhere, bugged my old boss for it since the restaurant made some amazing pizzas.

He told me to make the dough and leave it for 24 hours in the fridge, so I hear you on that one!

Now I want pizza

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Pretty good recipes, my suggestions on the sauce are to never use the seeds (the recipe says to discard 'if you like') and always use the 00 flour. I've eaten at Chez Panisse and I can tell you the pizza is pretty damn good.

Also, if you can get fresh buffalo mozzarella it's your best option.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll second discarding the seeds on that sauce (which was very good btw)- bitter taste and the texture is all wrong for sauce.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Hope you enjoy! Also good to have another endorsement on the refrigerated dough.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll second discarding the seeds on that sauce (which was very good btw)- bitter taste and the texture is all wrong for sauce.

No worries, as someone who made pizza professionally and now for fun I can tell you it's all about the ingredients and the method since the amount of ingredients is so small they should always be of the highest quality and prepped with a great deal of care.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I make my own crust as well, this seems similar to what I make for pizza dough only it doesn't need to rise but for about 15 mins then it's ready. I will have to find the actual recipe as it's my moms. I do it by memory and I haven't measured in years.

I also have a nice French bread recipe I use as well for pizza. It does have to sit and be kneaded twice but it is really good.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Mmmm... some French bread fresh out of the oven sounds so good.

top topics

join