It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35B combat debut reportedly imminent

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
CNN is reporting their sources in the Pentagon are saying the USS Essex is steaming into place to allow the USMC F-35Bs to have their first combat missions. The USMC F-35B combat debut was expected for some time since the USMC had been 'leaking' they wanted to take the bird out and see how her talons were in the real world. Most, or perhaps just me, thought the F-35 would make its debut in Syria. To my surprise, those missions are likely to be in Afghanistan.

I am a little surprised. However, upon reflection, I am not sure I should be. Afghanistan would be more of a baby step than Syria. Syria would almost assuredly have Russians all over the F-35Bs like slies on fhit, if you get my meaning. If there were any oopses or whatnot, the world would see it and the Russians would have gotten more intel on the bird, t'boot. The debut in Afghanistan allows the Marines to test out the bird in an easier environment and one that would not require the use of stealth much, if at all. That would allow the F-35Bs to keep on their reflectors and minimize the damage from gathered intel.

Even so, this is a big moment, folks. The Lightning goes to war.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Just the tip....

.....of the spear!

Be interesting to see how she performs in the real world...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

edge of the knife.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

edge of the knife.

Eh I always liked the tip of the spear one I like double entendre but no accounting for taste.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Edge of Tomorrow quote.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

those missions are likely to be in Afghanistan.

So a USMC 200+mil 5th Gen Stealth STOVL fighter jet deployed on an LHD will sse combat over a landlocked country in a pointless nation building effort which has already lasted for 17 years with no end in sight.

just great

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Nvm

edit on 9/25/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight

those missions are likely to be in Afghanistan.

So a USMC 200+mil 5th Gen Stealth STOVL fighter jet deployed on an LHD will sse combat over a landlocked country in a pointless nation building effort which has already lasted for 17 years with no end in sight.

just great

Where would your live combat trials be? Should a fresh hip war be started for ya? I think keeping it in Afghanistan is just fine compared to the alternatives...
edit on 9/26/2018 by BigDave-AR because: Spelling pwns me

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
They'd get more out of decent wargames simulating relevant threat environments. Blowing up yet another random hut in Afghanistan is a pointless publicity stunt and showcases the absurdity over there rather well.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I would suspect Israel will use F35 in combat first..possibly to take out S300 systems there. And the US will just use it to patrol like we have with F22 in Syria as a show of force.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   

They'd get more out of decent wargames simulating relevant threat environments. Blowing up yet another random hut in Afghanistan is a pointless publicity stunt and showcases the absurdity over there rather well.

Well the fact is we’re there and it makes for a nice permissive area to do what’s going to get done either way and can give the weapons sytems the real world experience so I don’t see the issue. Look at all the other toys that made their combat debuts early thanks to a nice playground for them the stealth hawk the beast of Kandahar and the likes. The best war game in the world can’t ever replace the real deal, we’re strange creatures psychologically.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   

In Soviet Russia, wars train for you.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Wrong tool for the lob, giant waste of ressources.
Blowing up random huts in support of nation building exercises is not the 'real deal'. It doesnt preapre you for war, on the contriary it actually strains men and equipment and detracts from training against actual threats.

We see that time and again. Ask the Israelis how well their their tankers did in Lebanon after preparing for the 'real deal' via occupation duty in the territories.

edit on 26-9-2018 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Wrong tool for the lob, giant waste of ressources.
Blowing up random huts in support of nation building exercises is not the 'real deal'. It doesnt preapre you for war, on the contriary it actually strains men and equipment and detracts from training against actual threats.

We see that time and again. Ask the Israelis how well their their tankers did in Lebanon after preparing for the 'real deal' via occupation duty in the territories.

Id say your wrong lets look what they would be doing. Their role would be combat support the marines have airpower to help protect troops. They are not taking out air defences or even enemy fighters. Their job is simple air support for marines and Afganistan is the perfect place to get that experience. Those pilots will come out of there experts on not only working with ground forces but finding other ways to assist them. Next a desert is the best place to test the durability of equipment you freeze and night and bake during the day.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
Id argue its precisly the job of 5th Gen stealth jets to degarde air defense and achieve air superority against a near pear. The Marine Corps wont be storming any beaches in the South China Sea in a war against China. Nor anywhere else for that matter.
When was the last time the US had to provide CAS for its ground troops in a non permissive environment? Korea 1952?

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

edge of the knife.

Crack of my... ash tray in the new F35-B's holding one butt and leaving everything smoldering.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Whilst I am sure there is some value in actually using the plane in "combat", especially as they will likely be employed mainly in permissive environments... it cracks me up when people think that using a fighter in a permissive environment shows us what it can do. They're not designed for permissive environments. And they probably aren't going to tell us the details of real world operations.

This applies to the F-35 just as much as it does to the Super Hornet and Raptor.

But it is a good reminder that the F-35 is here now, and is not some future aircraft. The current plan is for 160 F-35's to be built in the next 15 months. I can only get so erect... Oh, and that's LRIP. Full-rate will be eye-watering, let's see if they can get the unit cost below $80 million.
edit on 26/9/18 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

a reply to: dragonridr
Id argue its precisly the job of 5th Gen stealth jets to degarde air defense and achieve air superority against a near pear. The Marine Corps wont be storming any beaches in the South China Sea in a war against China. Nor anywhere else for that matter.
When was the last time the US had to provide CAS for its ground troops in a non permissive environment? Korea 1952?

I think a test against a near apple would be more appropriate.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
look, this is military masturbation, done in conjunction with training.....fly s**t, drive s**t, fire s**t, launch s**t, blow up s**t...get your military "nut" off, while not hurting anybody.....relax, we'll know real quick when the actual s*t occurs

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

US F-35 fighter jet conducts first-ever airstrike

(CNN)The US military's F-35B joint strike fighter conducted its first-ever airstrike in the last 24 hours, according to three US defense officials.

The strike took place in Afghanistan against a fixed Taliban target. The aircraft involved were the US Marine Corps' variant of the aircraft flying from the USS Essex amphibious assault ship.

edition.cnn.com...

"Combat Proven".

In other news. TR3 (hardware supporting Block 4) new ICP has claimed 75% reduction in unit cost, 25x the computing power, reliability improvements.
edit on 27/9/18 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join