It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher says she was fired for giving zeroes to students who didn't turn in their work

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Even the burger flippers know they have to actually do some work if they wanna get paid. C'mon now....

A2D

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Yeah, in the few years I was in classroom, I taught English/LA. I always started the year with one math lession - what would happen to grade averages if assignments were missed and become 0s.

But that wasn't enough for some kids. I'd have the ones who would slap-dash off answers just so they could turn in work without caring or knowing if the answers were right and get things like 20% or 30% and then get made because they were still failing.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
Even the burger flippers know they have to actually do some work if they wanna get paid. C'mon now....

A2D

Oh, but they don't get paid in school ...

C'mon! You *still* expect them to work? What's the point?

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah, in the few years I was in classroom, I taught English/LA. I always started the year with one math lession - what would happen to grade averages if assignments were missed and become 0s.

But that wasn't enough for some kids. I'd have the ones who would slap-dash off answers just so they could turn in work without caring or knowing if the answers were right and get things like 20% or 30% and then get made because they were still failing.

That's always my wake up call as a parent. They have some 0s or missing assignments and we know something's wrong. Do they need tutoring or help organizing or are thy just being lazy or is something distracting them. As a parent, I need to see that zero on a progress report so taht I know they're struggling.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

My mother was a 9th and 10th grade algebra teacher. She would INTENTIONALLY put something like "+17/20 70%" on a paper.... some kids noticed it, others didnt.

A2D

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
Im assuming the minimum 50% is some bleeding heart liberal trying to make his supporters feel better for showing up to school. Good on the teacher.

riiiight.....because there has NEVER been a Rich, white, conservative parent, cussing out some administrator for their precious spoiled kids lousy grade, threatening their jobs at school board meetings, or demanding some teacher be fired because their brat kids ignored their assignment and gave them a zero, thinking "since daddy is wealthy and a pillar of the community, he can fix it".......

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I started sending home letters for parents signature once a week that listed all assignments missing for each student.

I taught inner city, so getting acknowledgement back from most parents was a tall order, but I did send those letters home.

I even kept half the period clear on Fridays as make=up days where back assignments could be worked on up until a week before term ended.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I started sending home letters for parents signature once a week that listed all assignments missing for each student.

I taught inner city, so getting acknowledgement back from most parents was a tall order, but I did send those letters home.

I even kept half the period clear on Fridays as make=up days where back assignments could be worked on up until a week before term ended.

if you never got a response from the parents, the kid has a lot more problems than just getting good grades.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

How familiar are you with inner city?

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Not necessarily though. I got relatively good grades throughout my entire time in school...but if by chance I got something a little less than expected and I knew my mother was going to ground me or something...I'd go to the mailbox and recycle the evidence.

I did the same thing with permission slip requests for school field trips that I didn't want to go on....

I don't think my mother ever actually received a letter from the school because I always got there first.

A2D

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

originally posted by: IAMNOTYOU

originally posted by: Gothmog
Liberal parents wanting a "participation" grade .
Soon , if not already , they will push for doing away with grades just like in school sports. In which everyone gets a trophy...

Where does the insanity stop ?

To be fair, what good are a grade really?? You either know how to do stuff, or you dont!
All a grade tells me, is that the person, one day in their life, was able to get a good, average or bad grade, and that might have been achieved by cheating or having rich parents who can send you to a school where EVERYBODY gets a high grade.
I need someone who is able to multiply, so someone might get a good grade, because they are good at everything else, but knows crap about multiplying, so what good are the grade??

I agree on no free trophys, but rate people after what they can or cant do, a effing grade doesnt do nothing!!

But school is a joke anyways, you dont learn to think, only to read a book and accept the answers in it, without ever questioning if the information is right or wrong! (Just like religion) A high grade, only means that the person is willing to accept the "truths" you tell without asking to many questions...

This entire post sounds like the person writing it is one who got average to poor grades in school.

You get out of school what you put into it. No effort? You won't learn anything.

I got straight A's my ENTIRE school career. Grade school, junior high, high school, my undergraduate degree, and my master's degree. I didn't get those A's because I didn't turn in homework or because I was allowed to retake tests. I got those A's because I studied and applied myself and worked my ass off.

The folks who say that good grades only show that you can regurgitate what you read in a book are unfailingly the ones who didn't get good grades.

Full disclosure: I did get one B....in a PE course (Jogging) in college. If you missed the class more than once, your letter grade dropped. I missed two classes while I was on a required trip with one of my major classes, and I turned in the excused absence form AFTER the trip instead of before, so the teacher gave me a B.

ETA: I'm not even very smart! My point of this post is that I worked hard and applied myself. Just ask my twin brother, who got tired of explaining and helping me with our math homework every night. "We went over this LAST night! Why do I have to keep explaining this to you?!" 😂😂😂. Put forth the effort and you'll leatn the material.

I get why you might think that, but I actually did get good grades in school, was a top student like yourself.
I was lucky that my parents thought me basic writing skills and math before i even started school, so i did have a headstart compared to most other students. And NO that doesnt make me smart either

But i always loved learning, and that made it easy for me, being the nerd i was/am. But what i was thaught in school and what i have learned in life, are two very different things.
Iam from Denmark, where we generally have a very high standard in our education system - but that doesnt mean it cant be improved.

And i still stand by my statement, i know NOTHING about what you know, other than you got straight A´s, so youre properly pretty smart. My point is that we could grade way better than we do, so it would be easier to tell what a person is actually good at, and in which areas there need some improvements - i cant tell that by looking at youre grades

Take a look at Finland, and how they do things over there.

There are no mandated standardized tests in Finland, apart from one exam at the end of students' senior year in high school. There are no rankings, no comparisons or competition between students, schools or regions. Finland's schools are publicly funded. ... “Equality is the most important word in Finnish education.

Source

the top 10 Education Systems In The World according to this site

The Top 10 (And Counting) Education Systems In The World

it is dominated by Asian countries, and got Finland ranking at number 5
It goes like this:

1. South Korea
2. Japan
3. Singapore
4. Hong Kong
5. Finland
6. UK
7. Canada
8. Netherlands
9. Ireland
10. Poland

Denmark ranks as number 11, and the USA as number 14 just behind Russia (13)

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

They are separating the ying from the yang

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

a reply to: dug88

And thanks to this line of reasoning, I have a nephew who's getting penalized.

He has an intuitive understanding of math. He knows the answer. He understands.

But because he also has ADD/ADHD to a high degree, getting him to write the long, drawn out convoluted process required of common core math is nearly impossible. His working memory doesn't hold all the steps.

So he can give you the answers, but he can't give you the process.

To use your prior posts analogy, do you want someone to design a bridge who can't communicate the building process from step a to step b. That's all math is, it's communication skills outlining a logical thought process.

What good is having the right answer if you can't ever defend that answer?

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa
In the real world if you choose not to go to a job, you are not going to be given a paycheck of 50%..this is not a benefit to anyone to give credit to someone that is not even trying.

You pretend to do the job, get paid 100% of the paycheck, keep up the ruse for a year, and then move to management.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

My mother was a 9th and 10th grade algebra teacher. She would INTENTIONALLY put something like "+17/20 70%" on a paper.... some kids noticed it, others didnt.

A2D

The logical conclusion from that is that not every question was worth the same number of points. Not that the teacher made a mistake.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
This entire post sounds like the person writing it is one who got average to poor grades in school.

Grades don't mean anything. There is no standard from school to school. The quality and approach of professors differs, the exact course content differs, the tests differ, and most importantly... testing is not indicative of knowledge.

In grade school I went to some elite private schools, never scored under 99th percentile on any standardized test. Around 10th grade, my grades started slipping (though test scores remained high). I graduated quite literally last in my class. I still had a 34 on my ACT, and understood what I was taught.

Eventually, I went to college. I have 5 degrees. 3 from one school and 2 from another.

The school I got 3 from was a joke. The teaching quality was poor, the student quality was poor, and the usefulness of the information was poor. I got A's in every class but one (which was a drawing class I had to take twice). Graduated as the top student of my class in all three programs.

The school I got 2 from was split. The gen ed's were much easier, and my business classes were a joke. The other major though was extremely difficult. There were professors who gave two grades, D- and F. The material was deliberately taught in a way to wash out as many students as possible. On several occasions over the 4 years I was in that program I had to walk out of class, go to my car, and simply cry over the fact that I was too stupid to understand what was going on. The stress and harshness of the program gave me PTSD and severe depression. I finished that program with quite literally the minimum grade possible, a 2.0 GPA.

Despite those poor grades I ended up employed before graduating, and managed both the best and the best paying job of my class. My first year out of university and I was already making more than my professors and had made the transition from a junior to midlevel position (something that typically takes ~5 years).

Grades are meaningless. No one ever checks your GPA for a job. What employers do check is your ability to contribute and solve their problems while grades simply ask that you know the answer, and not necessarily what questions to ask in order to arrive at a solution.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Here's a similar story that was local here a few years ago.

www.cbc.ca...
www.cbc.ca...

Basically, the guy got FIRED for giving out zeroes for students who didn't do the work. It was completely ridiculous that a no-zero policy was in place. He tried to do his job the way it should have been done, and got punished because some idiots decided a no-zero policy was a good idea.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Um what?

Lol...

17 right out of 20 is 85%...always.

She would put a different % to see if kids actually pay attention. If they came to her to fix it, she would give them a bonus point or two.

I don't know what kind of school you went to, but where I'm from everything was either right or wrong...one or none.

A2D

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   
First off, yes this is just more progressive liberal cancer, that much is obvious.

But I am curious how they break down their final grades, because where I came from, anything under about 55% was an F grade anyway. If that's the case, they are doing this purely to make the student feel better about not seeing a 0 or some other low number.

But, it could also be effecting their final grade giving them a higher GPA. And falsely giving the school a higher GPA average. Depending on how their grading system works.

Pretty soon they'll start handing out PhDs to these crazy howling maniacs and you'll go in for heart surgery with a Dr who has never "failed" at anything before. LoL

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

17 right out of 20 is 85%...always.

10 questions are worth 3 points, 10 questions are worth 1. You miss 3 of the 3 point questions. You still got 17/20 questions but you only got 31 out of 40 points which is a 77.5%.

You should always assume you're wrong first. Only after that has been reasoned away, should you go to the teacher with a possible error.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join