It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher says she was fired for giving zeroes to students who didn't turn in their work

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (WPEC) — A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Florida claims she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work that is never handed in.

“I got fired. I was packing my stuff, and I was not going to see the kids,” Diane Tirado said.

Here is what really surprised me:

That’s when she says she learned about a no-zero grading policy, written in red in the school’s handbook, stating, “NO ZERO’S – LOWEST POSSIBLE GRADE IS 50%.”

wlos.com...

After seeing this article, I wonder who the **** put this dumb policy????/

This event reminds of that incident in Evergreen when a bunch of SJWs were demanding that they shouldn't be given homework:

I seriously wonder if the Evergreen kids went to this middle school. This is what happens when we emphasize on too much feelings over logic. No wonder our education system is failing.
edit on 9/25/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

God forbid you hurt their fragile little egos and tell them they failed at something. I swear we have the reverse of natural selection, let's call it UN-natural selection, we are making our species weaker and dumber.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
In what kind of system, is it ok to give someone 50% for nothing?
I weep for our future.

And I am damn glad that my grandsons mother has the same child rearing philosophy as we do. Although we will probably all end up in jail because of it.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
How does one give a 50% for 0 work...50% of what? Did the administrators who put that policy in place take math??? Sure doesnt add up to me...must have learned that common core math I guess.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
That school must really pump out some exceptionally intelligent and gifted people with that no zeros policy. Yup I mean they must, nobody ever fails at that school. They must all be geniuses. Well at least that's what the stats'll show at funding time.

edit on 25/9/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I weep for our future.

And I am damn glad that my grandsons mother has the same child rearing philosophy as we do. Although we will probably all end up in jail because of it.

The same system where it's more important for kids to show the process in math than it is for them to get the right answer.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I weep for our future.

The same system where it's more important for kids to show the process in math than it is for them to get the right answer.

To be fair...that's because it is more important to understand the process to achieving the right answer in math than just knowing it.

How can you apply math without understanding how it works?

I use math every day at work. I'm really glad people took the time to teach me the process behind it so I can use it now to make money....

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am an educator and this was the policy at the first LEA (Local Education Agency) were I worked. The policy was the '0' level was '60'. The explanation was, "anything less would be insulting, since the student is failing anyway". This is very common from what I understand. I you didn't follow these rules and sent a progress report or grade-period report to the guardian, then I could see a verbal reprimand or a letter in your file, not termination.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

I weep for our future.

To be fair...that's because it is more important to understand the process to achieving the right answer in math than just knowing it.

I use math every day at work. I'm really glad people took the time to teach me the process behind it so I can use it now to make money....

Process may be important, but so is the right answer. I think a person's priorities are skewed when a person gets points for process but not for right answer. How do you know process is right if the answer ends up wrong?

And if the process doesn't lead to the right answer, do you want that person to design your bridges and buildings?

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Dookie Master

That seems to be the opposite of education...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
K-8 with a 90% graduation rate. I'd hope so! Since when does any school teaching 8th grade and below have a high drop out rate?

This sounds like a funding scam. If true I'd expect this story to just be starting.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Well if you know and understand the process but still get the answer wrong because someone always told you it's okay if you always get it wrong, then what possiable good is knowing the process ?

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
LOL Wow
When I was in school, I had to show my work in math. If the answer was wrong? No point. If I didn't show my work? No point.
If I didn't turn in the homework?
Big ol fat 0

And math was certainly not my strong point.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Failing is failing.

But I would really like to know if the kids they send out are any dumber than other schools.

All high schools do is have kids regurgitate information. They don't have to understand or retain the information.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

I weep for our future.

Process may be important, but so is the right answer. I think a person's priorities are skewed when a person gets points for process but not for right answer. How do you know process is right if the answer ends up wrong?

And if the process doesn't lead to the right answer, do you want that person to design your bridges and buildings?

You're right both are important. The reason why you give points for process with wrong answer and not the other way around is because there's lots of ways to get the 'right' answer that don't demonstrate an understanding of how to arrive at that answer. It could have been guessed, cheated, come to through incorrect methodology that will only give the correct answer sometimes under certain situations. The teacher has no idea. By showing process even without the correct answer, it shows the teacher the student's thinking process and allows them to understand where the student is making mistakes.

Say you have two tests. Both students get half the answers right. Student 1 writes everything down, you can see student 1 wrote a couple formulas wrong, subtracted where they should have added and put an exponent in the wrong place. Student 2 just gave answers.
You can help student 1 do better, student 2 you have no idea what's going on.

No I wouldn't want either building bridges but at least the student that gets it wrong and shows why has a chance of learning how to And figuring out what went wrong.
edit on 25/9/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

No zeroes...heheh..yeah I'm sure that skool is introducing lots of zeroes into society.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I was always better at getting the right answer.

My brain doesn't work in straight lines. Or in ways that others can easily grasp. It's hard to explain, but the answers were right.

In the military we now call it "non-lateral thinking"

I ended up just writing down random groups of numbers along with the correct answer.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is just sad. A whole generation that can’t fail. Failure is the biggest teacher.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
eventualy degrees in america will be useless and treated like ones from 3rd world countrys

theres still china and japan

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Liberal parents wanting a "participation" grade .
Soon , if not already , they will push for doing away with grades just like in school sports. In which everyone gets a trophy...

Where does the insanity stop ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join