It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nike’s Market Value Surges By $6 Billion After Controversial Kaepernick Ad

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Parishna

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Annee

So, you're all for child/slave !abor in sweatshops at pennies a day ?
Asking for a friend.

The largest producers of Nike shoes are the factories located inChina, Vietnam and Indonesia, although dozens of other countries also contain Nike factories; these countries include Malaysia, Pakistan, India and Thailand.Jun 28, 2018

How else are they going to make 6b ? Can't do that employing well paid workers.

Besides, how can people burn their nikes, if they don't buy them first.

Apple
Dow
Exxon
Union Pacific
Yeah, you can make loads of money and pay your employees well...

And people were burning the shoes they already owned.
You couldn't have thought they bought shoes just to burn.

Why not? Are we not in the era of consumerism and disposable income?

And... people who burn perfectly good shoes?

You needn't bring apple into this. Foxconn would not be somewhere to look at, when talking about nike using slave labour.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Nike’s Market Value Surges By $6 Billion After Controversial Kaepernick Ad

Sad that thier quality can't do the same.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

This article is somewhat disingenuous, considering Nike's stock slumped last month and now they are just starting to recover...

i guess

the article did say

The campaign was immediately controversial and Nike’s stock initially tumbled more than 3 percent

Nike’s share prices were quick to rebound from that initial dip, however, and in recent weeks have been performing near an “an all-time high,”

and from your link

Nike Inc. NKE, +0.21% fell 3.2% after it announced that its new ad campaign would feature Colin Kaepernick,

sure sounds like my link and yours said the same thing

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Ummm...I've never owned anything by Nike...nor will this make me rush out and buy any...

I fail to see what the fad is in extremely overpriced sneakers made by slave labor...

To each their own I suppose...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...I've never owned anything by Nike...nor will this make me rush out and buy any...

I fail to see what the fad is in extremely overpriced sneakers made by slave labor...

YouSir

hey im with you

im not sitting here saying go buy nike and nike is awesome. not by a long shot

just making the point that the leader said the company was going to die or something to that and they did not and apparently all the outrage was in fact fake. just like it always is

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Because Capitalism, Consumerism, and Nike basically employing slaves is "radical activism"

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Sometimes the people really do get their voice heard.

Ummm...I know...right...?

"Heard you just bought a pair of overpriced sneakers made by slave children"..."Yeah man..cause...Kaepernick"...
"Righteous...I'm going to make like a lemming and follow...heardlike"...

Thus the voices of the herd...were heard...

YouSir
edit on 23-9-2018 by YouSir because: quotations require their marks...

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I used to wear nikes all the time, back in the day they made some fantastic running shoes.

Now a days.. not so much, declining quality coupled with rising prices, the sweat shops, bad ad campaigns that annoy me it was just better for me to find a new brand of shoes for when I am running and such.

As for the NFL, I honestly started losing interest after my favorite team won the super bowl for the first time (Bucs), since it feels like the quality of the game has decreased which further depressed my interest, then add in multi millionaires telling me I don't understand how they are oppressed and it was easy to cut the final cord.

Football is entertainment (IE gladiators) if I want politics I look up news, I don't want politics when I am trying to relax and enjoy something for a few hours.

ETA: I forgot to mention, the jump in the last couple weeks is irrelevent at this time. When the right folks started burning and frothing at the mouth shouting boycott, I am certain the left nuts would run right out to buy them to support their view point.

IF this bump continues then yea all the boycott talk was meaningless, the people calling for the boycott should have focused on declining qaulity coupled with the sweat shops as a reason to stop buying Nike.

edit on 23-9-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: YouSir

YouSir

hey im with you

im not sitting here saying go buy nike and nike is awesome. not by a long shot

just making the point that the leader said the company was going to die or something to that and they did not and apparently all the outrage was in fact fake. just like it always is

Ummm...I know...I know...

Proof that there are plenty of mindless worker drones that will shell out a few hundred apiece...all in an effort to support a corporations use of child slave labor...because...marketing campaign...

I am so...NOT...a herd animal...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Hey be proud. That means more sweat shops and child labour. Take that Trumpers.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
Because Capitalism, Consumerism, and Nike basically employing slaves is "radical activism"

How would you and your Antifa comrades EVER be able to organize to defeat Nazi's without your dumb phones brought to you by Capitalism?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

This hasn't surprised me. A lot of the time the so called boycotts last a few weeks maybe a month or two and then poof, like amazons tax bill, it vanishes in the night. I know people will say oh but we stood up to the big bad faceless organisation and they understood our messages and to them I say 'If you boycott a company because they hired a guy you don't agree with and not the fact that it costs them on average 30 bucks to make shoes that they'll charge you at the least 100 dollars for then more fool you'.

Boycotting doesn't work. Because for every one who boycotts there will be two or three people who will by in bulk to prove a point and that is most likely what happened here. I have never and will never wear shoes or clothes that cost more than twenty bucks per item (of course shoes come in pairs but you get it lol). The clothes in my closet probably cost a total of 140 and it is a t-shirt, jeans and boxer shorts for everyday, socks for every day, and two jackets, that's it. You don't need more than that (oh well I have a suit but haven't worn it in about five years so it might have shrunk while not being used lol).

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: NiNjABackflip

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip

hilarious trying to turn this into a labor practice thing

past few months all this nfl and nike # has been about the protest and you know it

now though

but muh slave labor

too funny
edit on 23-9-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

nobody on here was talking about their labor practices until the ole death of nike didnt happen and whatever boycotts didnt happen.

now all of a sudden it matters

hahahahahh

all the people watching football had no problem with their players and teams wearing nike # before all this happened. but after lets get all high and mighty and talk lave labor

#ing joke
edit on 23-9-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

dude i dont like paying more than 10 bucks for pants an 25 or so for shoes.

i will spend more on the rugrat but me and the wife go cheap

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

past few months all this nfl and nike # has been about the protest and you know it

now though

but muh slave labor

too funny

I do know it. I also know that anti-Trumpers are now standing behind a company that employs children in sweat shops, because “muh Trump”.
edit on 23-9-2018 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

now though

but muh slave labor

too funny

Your OP seemed to chuckling at how Nike was booming right?

So I guess that Cognitive Dissonance about those squaking about a living wage all the while supporting Nike would be a disturbing thing to chew on?

link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
This too shall pass .

everything does.

it seems some people were pissed for a couple days. boycott football. boycott nike.
blah blah

then it is back to how it usually is

fake outrage man.
its all fake outrage

“Just like the NFL, whose ratings have gone WAY DOWN, Nike is getting absolutely killed with anger and boycotts,” the president tweeted in the days after the ad’s launch.

did anyone here actually stop watching football over this?

that's what happens when people have money instead of spine.

link   

now though

but muh slave labor

too funny

I do know it. I also know that anti-Trumpers are now standing behind a company that employs children in sweat shops, because “muh Trump”.

maybe they are
not me

i am bigly anti trump but that does not mean i am pro nike

i was not pro nike then and am not pro nike now

i will so though if a person is going to boycott their labor practices are a damn good reason
trumps opinion on the company or them sponsoring players that kneel are stupid reasons

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join