It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Sec. of Defense Will Commit Royal Marines to Protect Odessa, Ukraine From Naval Blockade

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
We don't often get to read about Ukraine anymore, or UK military posturing. So lets get them both in one report! Russia allegedly wants to enforce an economic blockade against them, so the UK is going to reassure their support for Ukraine by deploying the Royal Marines, or at least that is what Gavin Williams has stated. I would like to primarily hear from our European partners on this and how they feel about it. Im just an American posting about it. I think it to be a helpful move for Ukraine as I find it doubtful that the Russians would challenge any UK naval presence.

Gavin Williamson commits extra British troops in Ukraine to stop Russia 'reversing Cold War outcome'

Only a month ago, a Ukrainian soldier was killed by sniper fire at the spot where Gavin Williamson, the Defence Secretary, is now standing.

This is the front line of the West’s new war with Russia. Two hundred yards away, Russian-backed separatists are in position, their sniper rifles at the ready.

Protected by helmet and body armour, Mr Williamson is surveying the remains of a hospital, its walls bullet-riddled and the windows blown out. Separatist fighters had targeted it with mortars and machine gun fire from across the fields that now represent an illegal de facto border between Ukraine and Russian-occupied territory outside Marinka, a satellite town about three miles to the west of Donetsk.

Britain will increase military support to its ally by sending Royal Marines later this year and increase the presence of Royal Navy patrols in the Black Sea in 2019. Odessa, Ukraine’s biggest port, located in the west of the country, is expected to come under pressure from the Russian Navy over the coming months as they try to effect an economic blockade.

Russia has become quite the threat to global peace and security. I can understand why the UK feels the importance of keeping forces at the ready nearby.

edit on 9-22-2018 by worldstarcountry because: I agree with Gothmog, the title should read Naval blockade

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

We don't often get to read about Ukraine anymore

I wonder why.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
ok, so this is my third "non Trump/GEC scripted propaganda" contribution for today. I got to go enjoy my weekend now. See yall later when we talk about the next earth shattering revelation about how Trump will/will not be impeached, arrested, abducted, mutated, assimilated, liberated, caught red handed, vindicated entirely etc.. etc..

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Russia has become quite the threat to global peace and security. I can understand why the UK feels the importance of keeping forces at the ready nearby.

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day considering they just had a plane downed through Israeli actions, who also admitted (with their US supplied gear) to having conducted hundreds of air strikes against Syria, where of course there are many terrorists being supplied by the UK, US and Israel

Thanks for the humour

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

UK Sec. of Defense Will Commit Royal Marines to Protect Odessa, Ukraine From Economic Blockade

Uhhh....
What are Royal Marines going to do against an economic blockade ?
You do realize that an economic blockade is not like a naval blockade , yes ?
Think trade sanctions. Especially energy.
Geez....

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
hey man I am just quoting the video. Basically, the new bridge they built across Crimea makes it impassable for most container ships, leaving only Odessa. The point of the UK naval presence, according to the article and likely the UK Sec. of Def. is to deter Russia from thinking of just such a naval blockade. If I could make the title longer It would say "To defend Ukraines Largest Port of Odessa from a possible Naval Blockade"

I prefer to use broadly descriptive words when forced to use shorter titles. I still have time to edit though. Do you believe it would make more sense if I changed the word economic to naval blockade? I initially thought about using that term, was not sure how well it would have been received.
edit on 9-22-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Britain will increase military support to its ally by sending Royal Marines later this year and increase the presence of Royal Navy patrols in the Black Sea in 2019. Odessa, Ukraine’s biggest port, located in the west of the country, is expected to come under pressure from the Russian Navy over the coming months as they try to effect an economic blockade.

That excerpt also makes sense.

Canada's military is in Ukraine too, but I think we're on the other side, not sure though. I think we're training or peace keepers or something.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

I believe Syria shot down the recon plane.

It's been shown that Israel did not use the plane as cover via flight patterns. The Israeli attack was hours in difference.

Did they eradicate a munitions stockpile scheduled to go to iran, yes. Never did they say they would not attack iraninian assets. And Israel will.

Syria shot down the plane, in the fog of war and inexperience.

Mg

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

I believe Syria shot down the recon plane.

It's been shown that Israel did not use the plane as cover via flight patterns. The Israeli attack was hours in difference.

Did they eradicate a munitions stockpile scheduled to go to iran, yes. Never did they say they would not attack iraninian assets. And Israel will.

Syria shot down the plane, in the fog of war and inexperience.

Mg

Desperate nit-picking mate and I'll go further, Israel is a terrorist state

Additionally, the Ukraine has been getting finance from the West for quite some time now, some of this cash goes directly into the back pockets of some Ukrainian politicians, while the rest goes to finance right wing groups, who in turn stir up anti-Russian sentiment

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Who’s got the UK’s back....

America.....that’s why the UK CAN TALK CRAP

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Apple's an oranges.

Iran is a proxy using, attempting to be a hegemon and a war mongering state, desiring to be a nuclear state. yes or no? All with a cash infusion delivered with roses via the past administration. Iran chose to spend the money on war material and not its' people.

Ukraine is a different animal.

I was referencing your blind comments about Israel which you brought in off topic. And I stated facts as I know them.

Mg

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The ex KGB Lieutenant colonel/midget/gangster. Has been doing the same thing to Ukraine in the sea of Azon since July .

Kind of odd that we haven’t heard more about that?

Putin is a thief

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Seems like the idiot should be replaced.

The same could be said about the rest of our sociopathic government.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Russia illegally annexed Ukraine's most prosperous region, then fomented a civil war turning its next most prosperous regions into a smoking crater, and now they're trying to further crush Ukraine's nearly nonexistent economy with naval blockades.

But do go on and tell us how Ukraine are actually in the wrong because they used the democratic process to oust a corrupt leader.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

It'.s appreciated your updating your knowledge of these situations and from reading the contribution about Iran I believe we're largely on the same page as regards a view of the surrounding global circumstances aka the two sides involved . It seems the only way any of us know about these things is from physically reading which you have been doing and the result is worthwhile
consuming.
If three different fronts have opened up in those 3 countries within one day , then the developments all seem in keeping with the defining precursors in terms of alliances . I suppose this threads content defines again for us that economic and militarily strategic aims are flexibly interlinked , one providing an excuse for other , and and as regards all three that two defined sides play the game , although I havent read them yet. Keep the titles coming
If you want to know how I feel about the UK marines being sent (what or who else from here is there in the Ukraine already?) , then I'm just a person reading your posts . Given what we know there wouldn't be much point being on anyone's side.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Wow, this is an alternative reality....

NATO has encroached on the Russian Federation against it's assurance it would not do so after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

History lesson:
www.theamericanconservative.com...

U.S. Deepstate & Soros meddling in Ukraine:
medium.com...@gmochannel/us-staged-a-coup-in-ukraine-brief-history-and-facts-898c6d0007d6
www.globalresearch.ca...
www.zerohedge.com...

The Neo-nazi regime in Ukraine needs to be starved out the same way NK regime was starved out with sanctions.

Another conflict the U.S. is on the dark side of history and caused the deaths of thousands and I'm getting sick of people trying to paint it in another light.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
UK troops are in Ukraine to train the Ukrainians against the Russians they and Russia-backed separatists. A Russia without opposition in Ukraine will end up annexing the entire east of Ukraine, enabling their already ill-gotten gain (Crimea) to be consolidated. This is clearly their current intent. People supporting this continued Russian belligerence are rather sad and warmongers.

The Royal Marines are not there to fight. The Russian separatists would not want to be any where near them if they were.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

But do go on and tell us how Ukraine are actually in the wrong because they used the democratic process to oust a corrupt leader.

It took Western cash to do that, if that's your idea of democracy then I suggest you stop playing the fool

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Desperate nit-picking mate

Technically, its not desperate and its not knittpicking if it didnt actually happen...........just saying.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

People keep making this claim and yet I have seen no proof. In fact, the US backed candidate didn't even win the election.

The fact of the matter is that even before Yanukovych lost the support of the people by selling the country out to Russia he was stealing billions of dollars from the Ukrainian taxpayers. He was as corrupt as they come. It didn't take "Western cash" to make the citizens of Ukraine see that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join