It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to really make America great again.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I know most people think of making America great again as something tied to who you vote for but it is much more than that.

Some things I can think of that would really make a difference:

Smaller homes being built - which later turn into downsizing homes for retirees
I know this is a complex issue. Builders don't want to build small houses and getting through red tape to build your own is
a nightmare right now. Some towns/neighborhoods outright ban certain small sized homes. We need to reverse this trend
Affordable housing is a good thing. Maybe mom or dad could even stay home with a kid if this was possible.

Speaking of housing reform, we need a total overhaul of the insurance scam. There was a time when both home and auto insurance was affordable!

I am absolutely against socialized healthcare, and as a child that grew up using Military healthcare I can tell you it was horrible! Let's face it, the healthcare in the US is broken and it is 100% because of insurance & big Pharma.
If other countries can have affordable healthcare without socialized medicine why can't we?

Along with healthcare, we need a total overhaul of our food safety. Notice how many recalls there have been lately, it will get worse
More food safety regulation
More education on home and small community gardening, organic gardening, and even inner city gardens can be successful
The food in Europe is so much more "pure" for a better word than the US. Having lived in both places it is almost shocking. Seriously folks, the food here tastes like chemicals!

Education - Property tax based funding for education should be abolished. There can be a book written about this. How are other countries ahead of us yet don't use property taxes for education?

After high school service. Some countries require students to serve in the military or other social venues for two years after graduating high school.
Man, I think this is an amazing thing. Most kids just aren't ready for college right after high school. I think those two years are key. Maybe this isn't a forced thing, maybe they offer a big discount of local college or trade school tuition after you serve. This would be different than the GI bill because every student would qualify.

Just my 2 cents for the day! Happy Friday

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The main issue I see with your OP is the required Military service.

I'm on the fence, because an All Volunteer force is a force to be reckoned with, but that very force has to be ideologically strong.

When you require people to join, it just becomes another "check the block" approach and thus isn't a very effective force.

With a Volunteer force, you don't know what it entails, what strugglew, but you're willingly to see how far you go and what you can accomplish. This is the beauty of willful destruction, you embrace the suck and give your life when appropriate.

Mandated service, I'm doing everything to rebel against the system. I didn't ask to be here. It implies a force of second thinkers and opportunist, each pays a terrible price on the battlefield, but could be a boon if you survive.

I get it though, you're looking for that structure and stability for our young minds to be engaged in.

I feel a restructuring of our schools and curriculum that mimic almost real world task would be best. Here, you'll be required to get a part time job to experienced the labor force. Sit downs to discuss future societal issues and remedies, like Social Media and Moral ethics.

Otherwise, good thread. Star 🌟

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Thanks for your Dos Centavos.

Question: While I agree with the idea of doing away with funding for Public Schools with property taxes, what would you say to ending government run schools altogether and instead outsource education to private enterprise and/or Education Corporations. Considering the vast amount of resources for education on-line, it seems to me that the current "State Run" school districts are an enormous waste of money; their physical plant footprint is huge and altogether wasteful. They more resemble some 19th Century Factory operation and they deliver especially awful results.

Just a thought and a question.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Being in the military dosent necessarily mean bullets flying over your head or even having a combat related roll.
I don’t think volunteer service means you “embrace the suck” but each their own.

I am of the belief that some people cannot or will not amount to anything without a kick in the right direction.

a reply to: Arnie123

edit on 21-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Not required service, and not even necessarily military.
I think it should be so beneficial that the vast majority would want to join.
Maybe some students take care of elderly and then get a big discount on nursing school etc.

I am totally with you on the restructuring of the schools and curriculum. I think we are actually at least a decade past due.
We are teaching school like it is 1950 and too much has changed. I feel private schools and international schools are way ahead of the curve.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Having corporations run schools is a double edge sword.

I think a lot of school districts are failing because they don't know how to budget some business intervention could really help with that. They would also have a first hand knowledge of things going on in the business world real time and can help guide curriculum that way. For example, schools are teaching kids how to write and balance checks, which is ok, but they should already be delving in online banking.

I don't know how I feel about the influence certain corporations would have on shaping young minds. Would we really want a big Pharma company sponsoring schools? Would we want big banks that have already failed teach our kids?

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The school districts I see failing in Texas are failing for 2 major reasons. 1) Lack of funding, i.e. property taxes in poorer neighborhoods and then 2) wildly excessive spending on Administrative costs. I dont know the actual numbers, but it certainly looks as though there's only maybe 2 teachers for every administrator. And that's all because of bureaucratic red tap and regulations.

When I was talking about Corporations I wasn't talking about them funding the schools; I'm talking about the companies that are right now in charge of actually running charter schools!

This is what I'm talking about:
www.charterschoolsusa.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Oh interesting, I heard that some companies were actually sponsoring schools like Pepsi-cola so that is what I thought you meant.

As for the current corporations, they are doing a crap job. You are spot on when you talk about wildly excessive spending on administrative cost. I don't think a lot of people really know how much those costs are.
For example
"The national average salary for a Charter School Principal is $151,568 in United States."
"https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/charter-school-principal-salary-SRCH_KO0,24.htm"

Just think that is the average, I know here they make more than that and that is just for the principal. Many schools have an administrator too and some multiple principals.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The military or other service for two years was one of "Beto" ORourke's idea, the guy who is running against Ted
Cruz for Senator in Texas. He proposed it previously, ran into strong objections from college age students, changed his mind, withdrew the idea for the moment.... he is a flip flopper.

Beto is also anti-police, anti-guns, pro-illegal aliens and open borders and is running in Texas, a state that is primarily pro-police, pro guns and against open borders and illegal aliens. Some people in some of our liberal cities like Austin, San Antonio and Houston like him, but most elsewhere not so much. He is not Hispanic, just uses that nickname from childhood to gather support from Hispanics and liberals who don't know better.

edit on 9/21/2018 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: manta78

He wanted to make it mandatory, I think that is where the mistake is.

I guess I would like to see more internship (for lack of a better word) type opportunities available to a much much larger portion of the young population. Military would be one of them, but not mandatory. I think there are ways to make it very appealing to both students and companies/government.

Allow the kids to travel to different areas of the states, let's say 4 places in a 2 year tour.
Maybe this is where they can find themselves. It would be paid and basic dorm style food and housing provided by the sponsors. Maybe the tours would be divided. Two tours of things that people would consider hard/undesirable military/labor/farming etc, the other two tours would be things considered more fun/interesting like tech/art/media.

On a side note:
I am actually for the police, pro-guns, and not for open borders. I wouldn't call myself either liberal or conservative, but I do think there is room for a lot of improvement!

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I like many of the ideas proffered in your OP and by others. The only problem is getting our government to negotiate and talk to each other across the aisle again. Currently, it has been a cat fight that is spilling out across the general citizenry of America.

Negotiating to the middle spectrum is not losing...it is always a small win for everyone. I am just bringing this up foremost, since I hope some may have a real idea how this can be accomplished?

I agree with another poster that military should stay voluntary. Community and public services being mandatory for our young folks would be awesome. True it may eliminate some needs for some government employees but I believe it would prove more beneficial in the long run. It will build real world experience and self esteem in our youth.

Perhaps, even make it they also create credit towards attending college. Real world experiences can often be creditable to some college already. No need to take all classes if one is able to comprehend the coursework in a particular curriculum class.

Healthcare is still a biggy since our nation of states is so big and varied economically. I do think for starters it is best to leave that to individual states to experiment and find workable solutions. Look at how well the states individually are evolving working with medical and recreational marijuana! Literal experiments to be tweaked until a plan for the nation becomes obvious.

Just some thoughts. Thank you for bringing this thread. Looking forward to others ideas.

edit on 9 21 2018 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I know most people think of making America great again as something tied to who you vote for but it is much more than that.

Some things I can think of that would really make a difference:

Smaller homes being built - which later turn into downsizing homes for retirees
I know this is a complex issue. Builders don't want to build small houses and getting through red tape to build your own is
a nightmare right now. Some towns/neighborhoods outright ban certain small sized homes. We need to reverse this trend
Affordable housing is a good thing. Maybe mom or dad could even stay home with a kid if this was possible.

Speaking of housing reform, we need a total overhaul of the insurance scam. There was a time when both home and auto insurance was affordable!

I am absolutely against socialized healthcare, and as a child that grew up using Military healthcare I can tell you it was horrible! Let's face it, the healthcare in the US is broken and it is 100% because of insurance & big Pharma.
If other countries can have affordable healthcare without socialized medicine why can't we?

Along with healthcare, we need a total overhaul of our food safety. Notice how many recalls there have been lately, it will get worse
More food safety regulation
More education on home and small community gardening, organic gardening, and even inner city gardens can be successful
The food in Europe is so much more "pure" for a better word than the US. Having lived in both places it is almost shocking. Seriously folks, the food here tastes like chemicals!

Education - Property tax based funding for education should be abolished. There can be a book written about this. How are other countries ahead of us yet don't use property taxes for education?

After high school service. Some countries require students to serve in the military or other social venues for two years after graduating high school.
Man, I think this is an amazing thing. Most kids just aren't ready for college right after high school. I think those two years are key. Maybe this isn't a forced thing, maybe they offer a big discount of local college or trade school tuition after you serve. This would be different than the GI bill because every student would qualify.

Just my 2 cents for the day! Happy Friday

Flat income tax of 10% on ALL income. No deductions for any kind. I don't care if you make $1 or $100,000,000. Income tax is 10%. EVERYONE pays and has skin in the game.

No corporate income tax for any company that is headquartered and manufacturers in the US. If you are a US based company that manufacturers overseas, then you are subject to either tariffs or 40% income tax. If you are a foreign company, you can only sell products in the US with the same tariffs applied in home country for US products.

No corporate subsidies of any kind.

Eliminate welfare and other aide at the federal level. All unemployment, healthcare, welfare, food stamps, should be run at the state and local level.

Eliminate HUD and Dept. of Education to start. Any of those programs should be done at the state level.

Max two terms for Senators. Max three terms for Congress. Once you serve, you cannot be employed by or run lobbying firm of any kind.

Voter test. Need to pass basic immigration exam in order to qualify to vote.

Voter ID, uniform law across all states.

Wall (figuratively) on southern border. Stop importing poor and uneducated immigrants.

Balanced budget amendment.

Any new regulation requires removing two existing regulations. All regulations need to be reviewed every five to ten years to show efficacy.

edit on 21-9-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
My husband's POV:

"Is that poster a COMPLETE retard?? NOBODY wants to be stuck next to the guy or girl who doesn't WANT to be there during a deployment, you want people you can count on because they felt the NEED to be there. Holy s#."

I'll just go with his sentiments there, it's logical. No forced service, that's a disaster waiting to happen in this country.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Where did you get mandatory military service? I never once said that. I said some countries do so but I don't think it should be mandatory, nor just military.

I come from a long long line of military folks. I can also tell you a lot of people that joined the military totally voluntarily don't want to be there during deployment!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Flat income tax of 10% on ALL income. No deductions for any kind. I don't care if you make $1 or $100,000,000. Income tax is 10%. EVERYONE pays and has skin in the game.

This is such a hard pill for so many to swallow because it is ~gasp~ fair!!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I don't think America ever was great. It was just a mass delusion. "Great" can't be great for real unless it's great for everybody. Therefore, great isn't possible.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
America has always been great, we just need to make it LAWFUL again.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The Op, has stated a few ideas on how to make America great again.
The ideas are unique and different and the following can be stated.
The ideas that the OP has pointed out, has a root in both mindset and money. If the mindset is not there, then it will fail, or will require money to make more effective, but here again some of that is also mind set as well. And ultimately many of what is seen are symptoms of a greater problem that is not addressed, and would be like putting a small bandage where stiches are needed. And if those root causes are not addressed directly, then in about 40 years, if not sooner, the same problems will come back and far worse.

Take housing. We talk about it, agree that we need more affordable housing, but it is not that the builders don’t want to build small houses, but the people in many communities don’t want them, or if they are for say those who are homeless, then it goes to not in my backyard mentality and they fight to keep such out of their neighborhoods. Many of the housing and neighborhoods are set with policies that go back to a time when it was legal to discriminate. And then there is the money aspect, after all a tiny house, the smaller units, the banks don’t like as there is not much profit in such, when a person could pay for it within a few years. Think about it, someone who pays off a loan in say 5 years, the bank is not going to make much money, but if it is say a 30 year loan, well that is money and profit for the bank.

Now the military service seems like a good idea, young people serving for 2 years in the military. However, at one time the US had that, it was called the draft, men were called up and serve. However it was corrupted, those who had wealth or political power, could pay to get out of it, or would bribe or force a person to be assigned to roll which kept them out of the line of fire. And ultimately, it was the poor and the undesirable populations that were often the ones who got the brunt of being stuck in the military and were often at the front. So that program was gotten rid of, as no one wanted to serve and fight for a cause that was not really the business of the US to be in. Vietnam Vets are a good example of that, and even now they have never gotten the help, many are trapped in the horrors that they saw.

The problems with healthcare, the op does not want to go with a universal healthcare, however has found that Obamacare was a bust, as it was still too much money. The problems with the healthcare today, started in 1973. With one person giving money to those in congress, and good friends with the president, a law changed healthcare. Before 1973 all US healthcare was nonprofit. One did not need health insurance to visit a doctor, or even the hospital, it was highly affordable. It was considered to the best in the world. But here again money flowed to the Democrats that held control over the congress, and it was a republican, Nixon, who signed it into law, making the founder of Keizer Permanente a very wealthy man. Who would then donate to the Republican Party. Want to make the health care affordable again, simple get that law repealed and a new law passed making all health care, medical, vision, dental, mental and all pharamacuitles used in health to be fully non profit.

And the food, well that is nice, however, here is the problem is that many do not see the need for so much regulations, after all there is a big push to render many of the agencies that could help the idea of home gardening, or even what makes the food safe to be deregulated. And if the regulations are tightened up again, then people will complain. Course then there is the whole organic movement. While yes food should be healthy, but it also has to be affordable, and many people can not afford that.

Education is one of the things that many are split on. Here again, many of the schools are based on a system that from a bygone era, where it was based on discrimination, those in the more affluent areas, often had better schools, while those that are in the poorer areas, tend to have far worse schools with not so many perks. And now those problems are coming more and more to light, and it can not just be cut the taxes to pay for such, not without a viable replacement that would address many of the problems that are present. Voucher program was a terrible idea, and in those countries that do not use property taxes to pay for taxes, those schools are funded by the state, that comes from all over, as it is a part of those national budgets, with rules and guidelines coming from the national level.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
How to make America great? Birth control. And lots of it.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Great Points , I Commend you on your Astute Observations about the State of America Today !.........

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join