It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should American Employees Speak English?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Is America British?

there is no "American language" unless you want to go back to the native peoples language

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

How are there so few stars and flags for a great topic...clearly the employees were dishing out there version of hate or payback to Americans....great...to all the frustrated bilingual folks that work in fast food..keep it up..we shouldn't be eating that garbage anyway...people suck

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
if buisnesses think the loss in sales is worth the reduced labor cost thats up to them

but not even my wife will order food in spanish and shes a native speaker

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

It would be a weird day when we have to learn different languages in order to dine on international foods.

You are very much correct with your statement.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
Is America British?

there is no "American language" unless you want to go back to the native peoples language

American english.

Our language is very much entrenched in using shorter versions of words and meanings along with acronyms but when people use the term american to describe our language people get their panties knotted up.

Yes there is an american language and it is the language that the majority of americans speak.

fyi the indians did not use the word america very much so that word would not really denote having to do with first people here.

I think many of them were using the words turtle or great turtle island and such. Even that is lost to the times cause imo i believe turtle island refers to Pangaea and not a single continent.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

There is no American Language.

If you think there is, then please find it on this list.

www.muturzikin.com...

Americans use a number of languages. The main one being English.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

lol

You are intentionally missing my point.

Using the word american when referring to language is short for american english.

not really a hard concept to understand and i am really wondering why all the push back thru the years when people use the word.

gramah notz's?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

short for american english.

No such language as " American English "

English is English and nothing else. Did you find " American English " on that list ?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I believe that English ought to be the universal language. That is not being condescending but practical. One only has to look at the airline industry, no matter what nationality the pilots and air traffic controllers, English is the predominant language no matter where in the world.
New technology is nearly all explained in English with die hard countries and peoples changing the terms to suit their language. Take "computer" , they either call it a computer, with a couple of letters added on or make up a word rather than use the word computer. Because, well it's our language.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

English is English and nothing else. Did you find " American English " on that list ?

Your list is lacking if it does not include the american english language.

that is a fact

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Commonly spoken tongue in the US is ENGLISH.

It is the basic language with which we communicate with here.

The employee is in the wrong and thus, FIRED.

www.foxnews.com... ue

I don't care if the area is predominantly Spanish or German, by that logic, the greater are, state and overall country speaks English.

You don't refuse service because you can't speak English, just no. Honesrly, its the other way around, ye, sucks but meh.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

that is a fact

Type me a few sentences in " American English " I will see if i can understand it.

As i don't speak " American English " logic says that i won't be able to.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

There is no "official" language of the U.S.

It's been a while since I've seen this particular topic on ATS...

If you're living in another country, one that there is a dominant language other than your own, wouldn't it behoove one to learn the language?

I've never understood that.

When in France, speak French. When in Belgium, speak Flemish. Russia, Russian. Is it that hard to figure out?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Actually, there is a difference in American-English, and English-English... Not a great deal of difference, mind you, but differences none the less.

More a dialect of English, rather than a separate language unto itself.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Seems alright to me?

You certainly seem to have the written English alright... Better than mine, truth to tell, and I'm a native speaker of American-English.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

that is a fact

Type me a few sentences in " American English " I will see if i can understand it.

As i don't speak " American English " logic says that i won't be able to.

Taking the piss here bloody mate?

Oh wait...

You jackin with me broseph?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Over half the states in the U.S. have made English an official language. Although there are no laws stating that English is the official language at the federal level, 31 states have made English the official language.Aug 16, 2017 What Is The Official Language Of The United States | Babbel Magazine www.babbel.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Actually, there is a difference in American-English, and English-English... Not a great deal of difference, mind you, but differences none the less.

More a dialect of English, rather than a separate language unto itself.

Agreed.

Dialect can be a use of English words but given a different meaning.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

You jackin with me broseph?

What you used there is an example of " Slang "

Not a language.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Your funny enough.

Slang is very informal language. It can offend people if it is used about other people or outside a group of people who know each other well. We usually use slang in speaking rather than writing. Slang normally refers to particular words and meanings but can include longer expressions and idioms. … slang Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary dictionary.cambridge.org...

To begin with, American English across the Atlantic was a dialect of British English technically. Now the Atlantic is flanked by the two equally beautiful dialects of one English. According to the celebrated wit and playwright, late George Bernard Shaw, America and Britain are two nations separated by one language. Is American English a dialect of British English? - Quora www.quora.com...

American English (AmE, AE, AmEng, USEng, en-US),[3] sometimes called United States English or U.S. English,[4][5] is the set of varieties of the English language native to the United States.[6] English is the most widely spoken language in the United States and is the common language used by the federal government, to the extent that all laws and compulsory education are practiced in English. Though not an officially established language of the whole country, English is considered the de facto language and is given official status by 32 of the 50 state governments.[7][8] As an example, while both Spanish and English have equivalent status in the local courts of Puerto Rico, under federal law, English is the official language for any matters being referred to the United States district court for the territory.[9]

I refer to it as american..not a big deal.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 15-9-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join