It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should American Employees Speak English?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

Jokes have to be funny.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I'd prefer Farscapes' "translator microbes."

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: howtonhawky

He identifies as American, has an American job with an American union, has an American wife and kids. I mentioned Mexican American but by all accounts other than skin colour he's clearly an American.

I agree with you though, I could've been clearer. Seemed easier to word it as I did.

No you were clear enough and i just wanted to make the point that were all americans if we are citizens.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

They have apps nowadays that will do an albeit usually crappy job at it.

These employees were just being jerks imo and acting more than anything.

Working retail in Colorado, I frequently had spanish speaking folks approach me with the 'Habla espanol?' I guess I just have that look too some people.

Anyways, I do not and would say 'No, perdon.' Sometimes they would smile and move on. More often than not, they would already have their question typed into google translate and would simply show me their device's screen.

Problem solved. It just takes a little decency and common sense with everyone having a device these days.

I even had deaf/mute people do the same thing, although I noticed they liked to just physically draw a single word or two onto a Paint app and show me that. One time though a mute woman did this by literally etching a word onto her forearm using her fingernail. That one creeped me out.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Lightdhype
the fun part is knowing Spanish, but then butchering it so bad on purpose trying to help them they give up and start speaking English to me!! Oh i had so much fun with that at Wal-Mart back in the day.

Nowadays I have capitulated to Spanglish. I get it more often than full Spanish from people on the streets or in stores where I shop for goods/services.

But if they insist on Spanish only and they are working, I will make a scene, and it will get nasty with profanity laced obscenities as well. Nothing infuriates me more than enemies of America thinking they will change our culture.

I was born in America, raised in America, and am loyal to America. There is no such thing as Spanish blood, or Colombian blood, or Mexican blood. Its all human blood. Speak the #ing language of the nation which protects our liberty and ensures freedom to prosper.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

People living in USA refusing to learn English are stupid. I joined ATS to improve my English, which is far from perfect but at least I try.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: dug88
I was told to leave a Chinese restaurant once because I wasn't Chinese. Their menu had no English on it.

You should have went back with a person who spoke Chinese. Ordered lots of stuff. Then paid with Chinese currency.

I bet they want US dollars.

Now, that actually would be pretty funny in a strictly asshat kind of way because I am pretty sure only US dollars are legal tender here.

Also, that is just bad business on their part. A good chinese restaraunt will obviously have an English menu, and then also offer more authentic dishes for Chinese folk that they simply ask for. A second menu of spoken word that the gringos simply dont know about because why would they? Haha.

Strangely enough via my experiences with the local Chinese joints. The more assimilated they are - rudeness levels closely follow. The ones with Mexicans working the back end seem to have way less polite Chinese on the front end.
edit on 15-9-2018 by Lightdhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

citation required

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Actually, since you like being literal, most jokes are meant to be subjective by nature, thus meaning not for everyone.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What's really sad is that actual Americans can't speak gooder English either!

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Lightdhype

then also offer more authentic dishes for Chinese folk that they simply ask for

I figured that was how they all operated.

Why lose customers and dollars.

Maybe it was just a front for something else, Chinese mob.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
What's really sad is that actual Americans can't speak gooder English either!

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Its up to company policy. Typically....if you deal with customers you need to speak the language. Im accustomed to seeing bilingual skills as a requirement for some work

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
Senate Makes English National but not Official Language

James Joyner · Friday, May 19, 2006 · 18 comments

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
*answering to OP*

Si!
People need to asimilate, period.
And this is coming from a Puerto Rican.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: efabian
thats cool. Most of the Puerto Rican's I grew up with barely spoke Spanish themselves. Even my neighbor who is in his sixties, his Spanish is barely better than mine. We American bro. We like English better!

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

citation required

You want me to summons you?

Na i think your alright man.

edit on 15-9-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The EEOC has stated that rules requiring employees to speak only English in the workplace violate the law unless the employer can show that they are justified by business necessity. A rule requiring employees to speak only English in the workplace at all times, including breaks and lunch time, will rarely be justified. Facts About Employment Rights of Immigrants Under Federal Anti ... www.eeoc.gov...

Pretty clear that you have to speak american when serving the public.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
And now...a little traveling music.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Those employees are just being disrespectful.

Agree with you. Maybe they had history with the lady, we don't really know the full story but they could have made an effort.

I'm a Spanish speaker. Its my first language. You dont go to anothers country and not make an effort.

When I came to the US my parents enforced learning English.

I'm not a native spanish speaker, but I know plenty of them. One of my customers spoke no english at first, and I spoke no spanish, but we both made an effort...and basically traded languages. It was good for me and good for him. His coworker had been in the country for 13 years and spoke less english...I asked why and my friend said: "He lazy." Sums it up.

Anyways to the OP: I think it's pretty disrespectful the way they treated that customer. I certainly blame that on management: It's up to management to conduct the interview and determine if the applicant can communicate with the overwhelming majority of customers. There's always going to be that odd tourist that speaks only portuguese, korean or swahili...and those you cannot plan for.

Management didn't do that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join