It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should American Employees Speak English?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ToddB
Do we bitch about Chinatowns, or the variations, thereof?
Pockets of ethnicity ought not knee-jerk people into legislating more pages of laws. They will always be, just not in the majority.
Grow up and find something REAL to complain about, such as re-instating our Bill Of Rights, or stopping 5G, or sexual abuse by trusted authorities.
Or, god forbid, one could learn a different language...

Never met an Asian who didn't speak english deny me food because they didn't understand. That's for sure.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
The bottom line is the bottom line. What does it cost to not provide service in English? What does it gain? Multilingualism makes sense in business. Don't want to provide service in the countries dominant language? You're losing sales and as far as I know TB isn't a non-profit.

You're right. It makes a lot of sense to have employees that speak multiple languages. I assume this means you're all for your employer only hiring people who speak English and Chinese right?

If the business wants to lose sales, that's their choice as a business owner.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
That's like telling me you wont accept a dollar. Personally, I'd like to see a 25$ bill made with Trump's face on it so people can 'try' to deny my legal tender.

Legal tender must be accepted. As a business however I have a choice as to if I'll accept something other than legal tender. Ever seen a business that won't take credit, or that operates on cash/check only? Nothing says a company has to take Bitcoins. Languages are no different. We don't have a single official language. It's up to the business to hire people that can use whatever language that business owner wants to communicate in.

I don't want a happy meal! I don't want a chicken mc plastic! I wan't a @#$ @#$% colon blow with sour cream!! ...and I want it now! Not 10 miles north.

Why do you feel entitled to that? Commerce is a two way street. If you want to deal with a particular business, you will do business in the manner they want to. That might mean a certain method of payment, or a dress code, or a certain language is used. If you don't like those terms, then go somewhere else.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I've never seen asian people have their ethnicity politicized.

FWIW, "asian" represents multiple ethnicities that encompass the majority of human population.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Cause some nights after the bar closes, you just have to have colon blow. It's the only way. Nothing short of Waffle Mouse will suffice. I mean, if you're into tag team wrestling, Waffle Mouse is the way to go. You're almost guaranteed to see some drama and hair pulling.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Cause some nights after the bar closes, you just have to have colon blow. It's the only way. Nothing short of Waffle Mouse will suffice. I mean, if you're into tag team wrestling, Waffle Mouse is the way to go. You're almost guaranteed to see some drama and hair pulling.

Ok. So why do you have to goto that specific restaurant? If they don't do business the way you want to do business, why are you trying to patronize it? Go somewhere that agrees with you.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

The bottom line is the bottom line. What does it cost to not provide service in English? What does it gain? Multilingualism makes sense in business. Don't want to provide service in the countries dominant language? You're losing sales and as far as I know TB isn't a non-profit.

You're right. It makes a lot of sense to have employees that speak multiple languages. I assume this means you're all for your employer only hiring people who speak English and Chinese right?

No. Whatever works for your area. WAY more than just those 2. Spanish. Indian languages. French. Etc.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

No. Whatever works for your area. WAY more than just those 2. Spanish. Indian languages. French. Etc.

And Spanish seems to work for that area. If the business owner cared about English speaking customers, they would hire employees that speak English.

So if you want to do business at that location, you can put the effort in and learn enough Spanish to place an order. Alternatively, you can seek out a different business that's run how you like.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Ok. So why do you have to goto that specific restaurant? If they don't do business the way you want to do business, why are you trying to patronize it? Go somewhere that agrees with you.

Maybe I was at a club across the street and my home is in the wrong direction to have to go out of my way.

Look, it's simple. If you don't want to cater to me, fine. But I WILL call your office and make a stink, right after I sit there till I'm made to move by police. I'll boycott them that moment, for sure, but it goes beyond that. If you're a company that wont sell to me based on my actions, that's one thing. If you're doing it for racist reasons, that will just piss me off. I'll show you exactly what level of pissed off I am by my actions.

- Sit on site till I'm served and refunded or moved by police, whichever comes first
- Contact their manager - then their corporate office
- Post in related forums and display what I ran up against on social media

I WILL spread the word

I'm not going to sue... I'm just going to let you and everyone else know what kind of issues plague that place.

If you're a mom and pop store, no big deal. I'll just leave and social media/forum my experience.

If you're a food chain... Oh we're going to have some fun!!! Then I'll social media/forum the hell out of my experience.

I mean... That's what we do now, right? If I'm gay, I goto a bakery and sue when they don't bake my cake.... soooo...

Game On!

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Choosing a language to conduct business in isn't a racist reason.

You're just feeling entitled that the business should cater to you.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Choosing a language to conduct business in isn't a racist reason.

You're just feeling entitled that the business should cater to you.

It's not about the person not being able to understand me. Anyone willing will go beyond the language barrier. This was about a blatant denial of service with what appears to be based on race vs race. ...or, an employee that didn't want to do their job. Either way, it's not about entitlement. It's about action and reaction.

To me, it would be the same as if a gas station attendant refused to sell me gas because I'm white, telling me to go to another county or town to get gas, where the white people at...

I've had similar issues where as a white boi going into a convenience store where a black girl treated a black man in front of me with courtesy but when it came to me, she was snooty and she tried to talk down to me. Instead of sucking it up like I could have done and just ignored it... I wanted her to feel the way she treated me... I'm just that kinda guy. Maybe it's the Cajun in me. I take no $#!^. I told that &!^@# how the cattle ate the corn before I left my goods on the counter and walked out with a smile. I could have gotten her management involved, got her fired or whatever but no... I had all the satisfaction I needed by throwing it right back in her face. The people behind me were obviously amused and I know she felt 1 foot tall after.

It has zero to do with entitlement.

It's simply about equality. If you treat me like trash, I will most likely come back and make that person very aware that I won't stand for it. I'll attack like a leftist crazed liberal!

I'm a God fearing man with old testament shortcomings. Do unto others and all that because fate definitely does unto me...

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
YES YOU MUST speak the local/official language. If i go to Barcelona i gotta speak Catalan (at least castillan " spanish").
Same in france if you're arab don't speak arabic to me, speak french. The foreign / immigrate should and must make efforts not the other way around or get the boot.
Don't overcomplicate things

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I reviewed this and the following can be stated:

The first thing that can be stated is that there is no law that states English is the official language. There never has been. The only reason why English is the official language, is that England did win the 7 years war, and thus all of its citizens were required to learn the language of the realm, to do business.

However, there are other things that are being shown here. The first is that as was stated in the prior post, the employee did indeed understand English, that much is obvious, and she did not want to serve those customers. It was clear, when the gal is talking to her and she was responding to the customer easily, and did not bat an eye. There was no signs of not understanding there. So it is clear that the woman did not want to serve the person.

There are many in this country where English is a second language, even in large cities. We still see the remains of things from yesterday present, and even today, one could find areas where the primary language is not English. As one poster pointed out, in some parts of Louisiana, the people speak Cajun French and English is a second language. Even currently, there is an active push to revive native languages before they go extinct.

Languages are one of the few things that are living, and changing over the ages, and English is more of a melting pot of different languages, where words come from other languages. It slowly grows and changes, even the meaning change over time.

The language issue has been around a long time. Even businesses that are global, have to have people who understand the languages of the countries that they are doing business in, that way it would allow for said business to be profitable, for contracts and to avoid problems with government and laws.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The real red pill. Tie everything together PR)DEURP(UPR(HJEP(_RHUE

No times to waste. RQHJP(#HRP(#E

SDOHJNPOSD CIA watching this PQ)[RHJ[O)HJEOR[IJR)[IRE Not trolling. Accounts already banned

google mark passio ptup[0ew5tyup94wt

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   

And Spanish seems to work for that area. If the business owner cared about English speaking customers, they would hire employees that speak English.

So if you want to do business at that location, you can put the effort in and learn enough Spanish to place an order. Alternatively, you can seek out a different business that's run how you like.

But the people that live in that area are not making enough effort to learn English as well, they are creating an English free zone

I don't understand why some people avoid it and create separate zones that exclude the culture of that country. When started living in the USA i tried to merge like crazy, in every possible way, that's why i wanted to live there

I don't understand why go to the trouble to live there just to reject the people from that country

Also she knows how to speak English, she just didn't want to, because i think she dislike them and they are not welcome on that zone, that's not good

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join