It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I be loyal to my country?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: DIEGLOKE2
Ok....... first of all for those that are patriots of whatever country they are from I am not critising you. But why should I be? ...

I think that ultimately - even for those self-avowed "patriots" - it's a matter of self-interest.

There is safety in numbers. And there is something to be said for maintaining some kind of status quo that lends to economic and social stability. If jumping on the bandwagon of patriotism is a means for maintaining that status quo and a person does not find it too offensive, it serves one's purpose.

Now, there does come a point when riding on the patriotism bandwagon becomes counterproductive. Sadly, there are many, many people (perhaps the majority of people) who stay on the bandwagon - perhaps even hold on more tightly in those cases.

I see what you mean.

For me self interest is going it alone and being a mercenary with my loyalty.

But yes I can understand if putting loyalty in a group makes them feel safer.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DIEGLOKE2

It's a valid question
It's worth a flag and a star

Now go to another country and see how they live then ask that question
I don't consider myself loyal to my country, I am loyal to the people of my country, those with common values

link   
Basic nature. Tribalism. We're defined by a country and we're supposed to loyal for the good of the tribe. The ones you're supposed to depend on and who depend on you.

ETA: That's why treason is such a high crime.
edit on 14-9-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

To the OP, you may have not thought it exactly through.

Allegiance to country has nothing to do with its government.

It is allegiance to the ideas put forth in your founding documents... what your Country actually stands for.

Generally, those are two entirely different things.

Like the USA right now, for instance.

In principle your right.

But there isn't a single country that actually backs up what it stands for.
Those ideals and founding documents are just empty words that politician give lip service too but ignore.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm a Vet, something you likely know nothing about, and as for an answer, it seems you are on the path of least resistance. Remember the IRA in the 80's ? But if you now are content to remain silent, it will be your lot in life. We have our problems, mostly coastal washing into the Pacific and Atlantic, homeless druggy blight of NYC, Seattle Frisco and LA, but the Heartland is much better, Sans Chicago and Detroit, along with a few others. But on the most part, The United States is the #1 place on Earth to live.

Seems everyone knows it also. You can set on the fence, but there is no reward for doing so. You can become active for change, or just watch the Telly an complain the circumstance.

Better you do something if you are young, because when you reach the Golden years, it's likely all you will be worrying about is your med schedule and staying regular.

Good luck in finding your pride and a reason to be a Loyal. The absence of 'Something'...... is nothing..

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."

~ Both quotes by Albert Einstein

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

There's a difference between being loyal to your country and being loyal to the state.

It's like what soldiers say about fighting for the people next to them. Think of it as a common loyalty among countrymen that's like an extension of familial bonds. I might currently disagree with 60-75% of my fellow Americans but at the end of the day, we have a common interest — we are all in it together — and at the level of nations, I'm for them as I would expect them to be for me.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
So what do YOU SAY..... or do you wear a Che Guevara T-shirt. Living in reality is taxing to be sure...

www.youtube.com...

a reply to: Kryties

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: underwerks

Not if you got 8 months to live

oh man this emoji isn't smug enough.

Especially then.

(Is that smug enough?)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Especially if you own a farm!

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I forget who said it- but here ya are: "To thine own self, be true". Think about it- who else can you *really* trust?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

This is the opening paragraph of a Sci-Fi book I'm writing about a futuristic guy who ends up running the Galaxy.

"I have no idol, no mentor, and no heros. I am not impressed by money, success, or possessions. I am a citizen of no world, a member of no tribe, and believe in no religion. I am not a son, a husband, nor a father. I am not proud of my race, my home, or my profession. I follow no sports team, celebrity, or politician. I trust no bank, government, or person."

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
No one should, all forms of "nationalist thinking" right, left, center, is toxic, you didn't select where you were born, under some other random occurrence you could have been born in another country

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

It's your home and native land. The country isn't just the people living in it, but also the land, the traditions, the culture.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

I forget who said it- but here ya are: "To thine own self, be true". Think about it- who else can you *really* trust?

I think it was some guy named Bill from about 400 years ago.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Why should I be loyal to my country......Can we get a gofundme going and move to somewhere 3rd world.

Sorry... In order to qualify for funds to move your operation to a 3rd world country you have to be a fortune 500 company...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It's been said already but it's self interest. There is no such thing as perfection where humans are involved but if you are in the west even on the poverty line you have it better than nearly all the humans that have ever lived. That didn't happen by accident it happened through the struggle of others to make it so and to protect it. That's what patriotism is, recognising the big tribe you live in called the nation has enough value in the way it's organised to be worth protecting.

If you don't think it does perhaps a move is in order. Other nations with other rules (or lack thereof) are available.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
So what do YOU SAY..... or do you wear a Che Guevara T-shirt. Living in reality is taxing to be sure...

www.youtube.com...
a reply to: Kryties

I agree with Albo.

edit on 14/9/2018 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: NiNjABackflip

Is that our culture of 'pay no tax if your a big company/ filthy rich', the bringing freedom to countries all over the mid east - how many millions are we directly responsible for killing now?, pillaging smaller countries for all their natural resources, staggering amounts of waste and pollution produced daily.......

Yeah a culture i can be proud of - NOT!!

Not seen any reasons for anybody to be proud of their country yet unless of course you are proud of the above

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I'm with you.
Same question about national pride.

I am not proud to be an American. I am fortunate and I am happy but not proud. That is reserved for accomplishments.

It's just something I don't understand.

My country or government have a relationship based on rules and institutions I had no say in and did not agree to.

They do things and I pay taxes to fund those things. Many of those things I don't agree with but I find it anyway.

Welcome to the machine

I am certain many will want to contribute to a go fund for you as well, is it Iceland for you as well ?
edit on 9/14/2018 by DJMSN because: Correction

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join