It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook will start fact-checking memes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
As I said in the other thread: People wonder why the chasm between the left and right continues to widen. I'm convinced that various factions of right-wing extremism like the alt-right never would've existed if it weren't for fervent liberal extremism. You can only back ordinary people so far into a corner before they'll lash out in self-defense and create their own brand of extremism.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Xaphan

We can't even agree that censorship is a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is a sickening development.
The SPLC gets to "fact check" our memes (how do you fact check a meme?)
I have a better idea:
How about don't waste your time or money?

I hate to say it but nationalization is the only cure for this.
Only if government will never censor material.

edit on 13-9-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
This is a sickening development.
The SPLC gets to "fact check" our memes (how do you fact check a meme?)
I have a better idea:
How about don't waste your time or money?

I hate to say it but nationalization is the only cure for this.
Only if government will never censor material.

It's probably what they wanted all along.

Create something so untenable that people will beg for government intervention.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Why are people still using Face Book ?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

But an example of that is the Chinese government who banned the eye-roll meme off Weibo .

In terms of popular opinion it's like trying to grip a wet bar of soap , it's asking for backfires , lmao

but there is a sinister side when it comes to nitty gritty particulars that might matter most

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Just delete your accounts. Makes all of this irrelevant, like facebook in a few more years.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

The first meme they need to take down is the one suggesting to people to put valuable paperwork in their dishwasher during a hurricane. Don't know if this started as a joke or what, but i've seen it multiple times over the last few days. I pity the poor people that actually fall for this.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I just did a little quick research to get an idea of what type of images FB would be looking for.

This CNBC Article provides a little more detail about what Facebook plans to do.

This is an example of an ad purchased by the Russians during the 2016 election:

I'm sure there is going to be a lot of partisan analysis of this image in this thread. However, I'm not totally convinced this advertisement is all that Earth shattering.

If this image is an example of what FB is trying to censor, I believe that we are quickly approaching a very slippery slope. This knee jerk reaction by the major social media platforms to limit what they see as disinformation is beginning to cross the line. I'm becoming more fearful of the aims of these giant corporations than I am of the alleged assailants they are purporting to undermine.

-dex

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Attorney General Jeff Sessions Prepares to "Drop the Hammer' on Google, Facebook, Twitter.

Source: www.lifezette.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
People who use Facebook should flood it with memes.

So many memes that there is no way to possibly fact check them all.

They would have to start banning all memers.

People thought the run up to the election of President Trump was when the meme war was fought and won.

They were sadly mistaken.

That was merely the first chapter of the great meme wars.

edit on 13-9-2018 by SKEPTEK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Create something so untenable that people will beg for government intervention.

Isn’t that the very definition of the Liberal Agenda?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
How the heck do you even begin to fact check a meme?

...and why the blinkin' blue blazes would you even need to?

How do you fact check this????

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Oh stop.

SJWs and sensitivity mobs constantly telling everyone how they shall speak or behave. Many examples of this have been posted right here on ATS. Like what happens when a conservative speaker shows up to a college campus. The leftists go nuts and riot until they shut down the event and then blame the speaker for the violence.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

As expected. You were just making things up.

Sad that people have to be so dishonest in their discussions.

Oh well. Integrity is rare these days, so I am not surprised.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

As expected. You're here to do damage control.

Integrity isnt always a good thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xaphan
As I said in the other thread: People wonder why the chasm between the left and right continues to widen. I'm convinced that various factions of right-wing extremism like the alt-right never would've existed if it weren't for fervent liberal extremism. You can only back ordinary people so far into a corner before they'll lash out in self-defense and create their own brand of extremism.

Not true. You must have forgotten the entire Obama Presidency or not had any social media exposure for 8 years.

I never saw so many offensive, baseless memes in my life. I'll admit some of them were funny like "Broccoli Obama" ..you definitely needed the picture for full effect.

Maybe I'm just different in that I have friends who are pretty split down the middle..liberal/conservative. So I see the hate from all sides.

The conservative memes were not put up because of a backlash against liberalism or liberal memes. They were put up on their own...whether it was propaganda, just funny stuff, hatred ...whatever.

The problem isn't the liberals or liberalism is ruining American. The problem is that we still think there are two sides...democrats and conservatives. Don't fall for it. MOst normal people aren't who you see on the news or hear about on talk radio. Get out of the house once in a while.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Oh noes , memes will literally bring about the end of civilization as we know it, quick ban them now before its too late....

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join