It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kuwait Budgets $1.1 billion for new Eurofighters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Kuwait set aside another $1.1 billion for purchasing more Eurofighters. The number isn't given, but this is not the first time Kuwait has ordered the fighters. In 2016, Kuwait ordered 28 fighters for the price of $4.4 billion: 22 single seat and 6 two seaters. If that cost per fighter still holds true, then Kuwait will be ordering another 7 fighters.

I'd speculate they'd be getting another two seater and the rest will be single seaters. However, I could be wrong. In fact, it may be the cost per fighter will be lower or the total kit they order this time will not be as comprehensive as it was in the past. Either way, the number of fighters may be higher. Another option might be to not order a two seater, which may also reduce the per plane cost.

The fact the Gulf States are ordering European aircraft is almost assuredly because of the tie ups with the American aircraft previously: the State Department delayed approving export of F-15s and F/A-18s for years. Rather than become beholden to a power who may or may not approve the sale of aircraft to them, the Gulf States have started buying European fighters (Rafale and Eurofighters). Whether this continues or not remains to be seen. However, looking at it from their POV, I bet the days of near exclusive sales of American equipment are done in the Gulf. A diversity of suppliers and kit, in this case, is an asset.

www.arabtimesonline.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Nice find always good to see the Typhoons get a sale over the French. Which seem to get a good slice of the pie. Curious how big is the U.K. % in the eurofighter build?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blackbird9393

I think its 33% just like the other Eurofighters.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

The fact the Gulf States are ordering European aircraft is almost assuredly because of the tie ups with the American aircraft previously: the State Department delayed approving export of F-15s and F/A-18s for years. Rather than become beholden to a power who may or may not approve the sale of aircraft to them, the Gulf States have started buying European fighters (Rafale and Eurofighters). Whether this continues or not remains to be seen. However, looking at it from their POV, I bet the days of near exclusive sales of American equipment are done in the Gulf. A diversity of suppliers and kit, in this case, is an asset.

The actual reason for this is that the European aircraft manufacturers were about 10 years behind the US in Gen 4.0. Also, in the single issue of Kuwait, the Eurofighters were purchased to augment their air force. They have already purchased I think 28 F-18 E/F's earlier this year to replace their older Hornets.

I also think Qatar just picked up F-15's and Bahrain F-16's. I mean I am not trying to pick apart your argument because the Eurofighter and the Rafale can compete with American fighters.

Also, I do believe that the Saud Air Force has a pretty long history of buying British aircraft. Longer than buying American ones for sure. I dont think they bought anything from the US until the Iranian revolution occurred and they were looking at actually fighting american aircraft and must have seen the F-15 as the only logical deterrent to the Iranian F-14's.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   
4.4 billion for 28 fighters?

4.4 BILLION?!

Insanity. Kuwait has no other use for their money?

It's never going to stop. The world needs to stop feeding this industry.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
4.4 billion for 28 fighters?

4.4 BILLION?!

Insanity. Kuwait has no other use for their money?

It's never going to stop. The world needs to stop feeding this industry.

Actually for 28 typhoon that's pretty good.

Not f-22 or f-35 by any stretch but far better than the legacy craft or any Russian stuff on export.

For a small nation wanting to defend itself I would say it's a good investment.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

They're getting a ton more than just the fighters. They get spare parts, engines, weapons, support equipment, tech rep support....

new topics

top topics

join