It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom in the work force, really what is it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I often dream of being totally free from being a slave working for someone who profits dearly from my labors. I learned something early on as a child, I wanted a go-cart, but I needed help in building it. I was successful because I had help in making it.
To become a soul of freedom in the work force , one must take on the challenge to be self-employed and hire "good" and talented people. When one can achieve that , then freedom in your work will become like playing a child's game of happiness, like swinging on the vines in the woods.
I followed my hopes and dreams, and I wanted not to be a slave to an employer. But it wasn't easy, and it wasn't difficult due to the fact that "I WAS TRULY FREE"

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I often dream of being totally free from being a slave working for someone who profits dearly from my labors.

How much do you think one person contributes to the net profits of a corporation ?
I believe it takes many folks...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Believe me when I say from personal experience, owning your own business is not being free.
If anything it's quite the opposite.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
A friend of mine had a great ideal.
He is a master electrician , certified. Wants to get a contractors license. Bid job at a certain price for electrical work, low bid it to local electrical contractors, keep the money left over without doing much.

You have to dream big and make sacrifices to achieve your goals. There is no easy way out.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Let your friend know that job is called 'general contractor'

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Dont worry, Amazon will ensure you have no hope of getting some sort online mail order thing from home going for yourself.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
"profits dearly for your labor"

Lmao. I wonder where mine were for the first 2 years. Oh that's right, it went to Expenses. Namely Employees.

Profits Dearly, that's a good one.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Every small business owner is rich...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
"profits dearly for your labor"

Lmao. I wonder where mine were for the first 2 years. Oh that's right, it went to Expenses. Namely Employees.

Profits Dearly, that's a good one.

Multiply that times union workers times benefits times expenses.

Think my employer charges at least $200 an hour for the $40 something an hour I work.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Oh, he knows, just pondering it. Just a kid straight out of the military.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

" if you're working for someone else you're working for the wrong guy ".

If you want to be happy at work build something instead of treading water . The satisfaction of having your business plan moving the right way because of you and nobody else . Gives you a sense of accomplishment and pride .

Many have the contacts, knowledge and the ability to do for theirself exactly what they're doing for their employer .

Don't walk in thinking " I can make my own hours " is actually true. You will more than likely end up working 16 hours a day seven days a week to get things off the ground.

Hardwork, drive and self confidence is your ticket. Accomplishment is your reward .

The first step is like it always has been. Get a box of business cards ( A must ) and "start knocking on doors" . (Colloquialism I think )

Serious side note to anyone in construction. You would be surprised how many owners/bosses will
help you after you have all your equipment. Edit; and insurance
edit on 11-9-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Dont worry, Amazon will ensure you have no hope of getting some sort online mail order thing from home going for yourself.

EBay disagrees with your post.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

To become a soul of freedom in the work force , one must take on the challenge to be self-employed and hire "good" and talented people.

So the secret of freedom in the work force is to enslave others?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

Then he definitely knows very little. Tell him to get a job doing electrician work for at least 10 years before he decides to try contracting.

If he contracts a cheap company and their wiring burns down the building, he would be liable. Let him know that

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagicTo become a soul of freedom in the work force , one must take on the challenge to be self-employed and hire "good" and talented people. When one can achieve that , then freedom in your work will become like playing a child's game of happiness, like swinging on the vines in the woods.
I followed my hopes and dreams, and I wanted not to be a slave to an employer. But it wasn't easy, and it wasn't difficult due to the fact that "I WAS TRULY FREE"

Yeah, but what about those people you hired? Those "good and talented" people are your slaves.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

Then he definitely knows very little. Tell him to get a job doing electrician work for at least 10 years before he decides to try contracting.

If he contracts a cheap company and their wiring burns down the building, he would be liable. Let him know that

He is my elevator apprentice this week and I will let him know.
Thanks.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

I often dream of being totally free from being a slave working for someone who profits dearly from my labors.

How much do you think one person contributes to the net profits of a corporation ?

Hmmm no...after going through quotes for jobs and calculating how much revenue they bring in vs how much time I spend working on each job vs my coworkers and with a rough estimate of wages. Our boss makes a significant amount of money off of us each individually....but....he also spends a lot of money. Just today I ordered a bunch of tools worth more than i make in a pay cheque, we'll have technicians come in for things at $400/h and spend all day there, i've made mistakes or broken things that cost more than I make in a week. I.don't have to worry about these things.

I've worked totally for myself as a freelancer. Finding customers is hard, dealing with taxes is hard, tracking your work and billing is hard, collecting payment can be hard even with contracts, agreeing to prices is hard, completing multiple jobs in specific time frames with customers as your boss is hard. These aren't things everyone can do and you need to have some kind of marketable skill. You also have to compete with others with the same marketable skill. In the end, while I was making enough money to live, it was never guaranteed. I enjoyed it, I just wasn't at a good.point in life to have to deal with all that on top of everything else.

When we get a bunch of complaints from customers at work. We don't get yelled at we get shown the problems, shown a bunch of our work that's high quality and he pretty much tells us that he's not the boss, the customers are, if we.don't work well he doesn't get jobs, then we don't have jobs. The company wouldn't run without everybody doing their jobs.

I know this isn't typical of large companies and in a lot of cases some people's jobs are superfluous. I've found the secret isn't necessarily always being free and working for yourself. It's a great goal to have and someday i'd like to do it properly. But in the.meantime i'm happy to.work for a company where the work I do actually has an impact and is crucial to the business running. I feel like my boss is a fairly excellent example of a business.owner compared to many places.i've worked and i've tried as hard.as I can to learn as much of that side of the business as well as the technical and trade stuff. There's a lot that goes into running a business, much more than i was capable of doing before. I work for someone else now and learn everything I can, while someone else pays for that so someday I can do it properly.
edit on 11/9/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/9/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

originally posted by: Gothmog

Hmmm no...after going through quotes for jobs and calculating how much revenue they bring in vs how much time I spend working on each job vs my coworkers and with a rough estimate of wages. Our boss makes a significant amount of money off of us each individually....but....he also spends a lot of money. Just today I ordered a bunch of tools worth more than i make in a pay cheque, we'll have technicians come in for things at $400/h and spend all day there, i've made mistakes or broken things that cost more than I make in a week. I.don't have to worry about these things.

I've worked totally for myself as a freelancer. Finding customers is hard, dealing with taxes is hard, tracking your work and billing is hard, collecting payment can be hard even with contracts, agreeing to prices is hard, completing multiple jobs in specific time frames with customers as your boss is hard. These aren't things everyone can do and you need to have some kind of marketable skill. You also have to compete with others with the same marketable skill. In the end, while I was making enough money to live, it was never guaranteed. I enjoyed it, I just wasn't at a good.point in life to have to deal with all that on top of everything else.

When we get a bunch of complaints from customers at work. We don't get yelled at we get shown the problems, shown a bunch of our work that's high quality and he pretty much tells us that he's not the boss, the customers are, if we.don't work well he doesn't get jobs, then we don't have jobs. The company wouldn't run without everybody doing their jobs.

I know this isn't typical of large companies and in a lot of cases some people's jobs are superfluous. I've found the secret isn't necessarily always being free and working for yourself. It's a great goal to have and someday i'd like to do it properly. But in the.meantime i'm happy to.work for a company where the work I do actually has an impact and is crucial to the business running. I feel like my boss is a fairly excellent example of a business.owner compared to many places.i've worked and i've tried as hard.as I can to learn as much of that side of the business as well as the technical and trade stuff. There's a lot that goes into running a business, much more than i was capable of doing before. I work for someone else now and learn everything I can, while someone else pays for that so someday I can do it properly.

Ding Ding Ding* We have a winner. At least someone here gets it.

"I Feel like i'm actually making an impact" - And the truth - Shall set you Free.....

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Freedom is the absence of force.

Human beings are not capable of being free. We are doomed to forever long for things that are just not possible.
edit on 11-9-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I've been self-employed my entire adult life. I haven't made a ton of money but I was at every basketball practice and game, every cheerleading event, every school event, every doctor's appointment etc.. So I may not be financially well off but I'm wealthy in many other ways.

I have issues with authority which is why I probably never would've made it in the employee setting anyway.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join