It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International court says it’s ‘undeterred’ by US threats

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Since the wars in the Middle East are a direct result of 9/11, I feel today is even more fitting to post these news.

Hague is a city in Netherlands that has been the center of international courts since the 1920s, the most famous being the "World Court" or the International Court of Justice. Some of the most notorious international criminals and war criminals were tried and indicted at the Hague, including more recently the cases from Congo, Sudan, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Libya, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia and Kosovo, among others. The court is established with the support and participation of a 123 countries on our planet. There are a 195 in total.

USA has always been kept out from charges during our wars.

That has changed and warhawk Bolton gave a surprising speech when it was disclosed that the Hague was potentially investigating the USA for war crimes in Afghanistan.

During a three-month period that ended in January, the court received a staggering 1.7 million allegations of war crimes from Afghanistan, although some of those accusations involved entire villages.

Still, thousands of individual statements as well as those filed on behalf of multiple victims were received by the ICC in The Hague. The statements were collected by organizations based in Europe and Afghanistan.

Bolton’s speech came as an ICC judge was expected to announce a decision soon on a request from prosecutors to formally open an investigation into allegations of war crimes committed by Afghan national security forces, Taliban and Haqqani network militants as well as U.S. forces and intelligence officials in Afghanistan since May 2003.

I'm going to write that number out so it hopefully makes more sense how many cases have been filed against us and our allied forces over a three month period -- 1,700,000 cases.

In a speech Monday, U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton said Washington would not cooperate with The Hague-based court and threatened it with sanctions, saying it put U.S. sovereignty and national security at risk.

The CIA and U.S. forces have been accused of committing war crimes in Afghanistan.

Still, “the ICC prosecutor has not hesitated before in demonstrating that it will prosecute major powers,” Nasser said.

“I think what the U.S. is promoting is a sense of the ‘righteousness’ and being above the law,” she said in an email interview, noting the ICC has yet to decide whether there will be an investigation or its scope.

Associated Press

So, what do you think folks -- are we above the law; is anyone above the law? As many here believe, the wars were started under false pretenses, possibly a false flag attack on our nation -- does that not make it even worse to commit such atrocities on people that may not have even had direct involvement?

How high up should this go, if it goes? Do you support equality even if it means us being the bad guy for the first time ever?

Thanks for commenting.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Let them prosecute us, after they find us 'guilty' for bombing Afghanistan back before the Stone Age they can sic the United Nations or NATO on us. Or maybe both. I'm sure that will go over fantastically. Have fun Hague, and kiss our ass.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

We are a sovereign nation with our own laws. We do not have to fall under international law, no matter how much the Progressives want it. All we need to do in that case is withdraw from NATO and watch the EU become some weird mix of Western Russia and Northern Syria.

As Augustus has pointed out, see you in court.

Oh... and Hague? Suck it... LOL

edit on 11-9-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Need more information I know more than a few soldiers have been prosecuted for their conduct in Afghanistan.

The ROE was so screwed up I am sure a number of things occured that probably shouldnt have that would technically fall under the definition of a war crime.

But its really hard to say yes or no without that additional information, considering the current atitude of the US towards the troops any govt that says we should let foreigners put our troops on trial and punish them if found guilty would be political suicide.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It seems the ICC is singling out the US for supposed war crimes in Afghanistan . If they don't investigate England and Canada among other NATO countries. They are clearly showing their bias .

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

We are a sovereign nation with our own laws. We do not have to fall under international law, no matter how much the Progressives want it. All we need to do in that case is withdraw from NATO and watch the EU become some weird mix of Western Russia and Northern Syria.

That is funny.

Perhaps signing some of those peace agreements and such have entered us into a global system that you fail to recognize?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I'm going to write that number out so it hopefully makes more sense how many cases have been filed against us and our allied forces over a three month period -- 1,700,000 cases.

The allegations were levied from Afghanistan, not “against us and our allied forces” as you breathlessly and wrongfully assert.
edit on 11-9-2018 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

yea... but another country commits war crimes.... we release the hounds...

where are those wmds? what color are the uniform of our enemies in the ME? why are we still there?
how many times has the USA been sanctioned for accidentally bombing hospitals, kids, innocents?
sanctions for abu ghraib? gulf war? Vietnam?
Libya? Yemen?
arming rebels?

what , one country gets a free pass at destruction and chaos?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

what about every nation we "freed" aka bombed, rebels armed, spying, toppling a party and placing another in command..?
if it was Russia or China doing all that, the responses would be different

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Prosecuting war criminals is good as long as they're not "ours" (or Israel's) , I watched Bolton's speech and found it typical of this administrations attitude to the international community.

Sad times.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It still seems odd that the US virtually prevented itself from suing and further investigating Saudi Arabia in the 9/11 attacks, with the ultimate hammer on the situation (under the Obama administration) that it would lead to economic repercussions.
en.wikipedia.org...

Others that the Left probably doesn't want prosecuted are the Zanu-PF in Zimbabwe, particularly the Gukuharundi:
(en.wikipedia.org...), as well as the ANC who committed horrific crimes within South Africa, as well as their own gulags in other African countries.
This is more difficult to link to for a quick reference (in fact I'd say it's censored), but there is a good documentary titled Tainted Heroes.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Absolutely investigate the crimes, and lay the charges at the feet of those in charge. Like a couple of previous commander in chefs for example...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
what , one country gets a free pass at destruction and chaos?

What free pass? There's thousands of dead American men and women, that wasn't free.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Let them prosecute us, after they find us 'guilty' for bombing Afghanistan back before the Stone Age they can sic the United Nations or NATO on us. Or maybe both. I'm sure that will go over fantastically. Have fun Hague, and kiss our ass.
YEP..... and I have nothing to add. notice the last sentance...!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
seeing the sheer number of claims (1.7 million in three months), makes me suspect that this is about a lot more than things such as rape torture and the like. especially since there were only about 13,000 troops there at the time. that would mean each and every service member would have to commit about 15 war crimes each, every day. that sounds rather off. i mean each and every serviceman would be hard pressed to do things like rape torture and the rest 15 people a day, every day. and while i am sure that the number of servicemen does not include the CIA, it is doubtfull that there were really enough to make much of a change in that number. but i suspect the answer is also contained in the OP's link

“The solution to put an end to war is by making everyone accountable, whether it is the Taliban or the Haqqani network or whether it is the Americans or the Afghan army or Afghan government,” said Ehsan Qaane, of the Kabul-based Transitional Justice Coordination Group, which represents 26 organizations working in Afghanistan.

now it makes a heck of a lot more sense if this is not really about "war crimes" at all. war crimes being things against the Geniva convention. but the "crime" of war. if you are basicly trying to charge them with injuries and deaths, property damage and such caused by the WAR, that number of 1.7 million claims in three months is a lot more viable. and that is exactly what it looks like they are trying to do.

so is this yet another case of "fake news". twisting facts to show something that is not true? it would certainly make sense that t5he US would freak out and not coperate with such investigations where they are trying to nail them with the "crime" of war, and being held responsible for things that happen in war. and not just "war crimes". and yes to cooperate if that is the case would indeed be putting US soveranty and security at risk.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
1.7 million.... I smell a rat in there..... like George Soros.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Would that mean we could stop paying those high bills for the UN, NATO ect.?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
seeing the sheer number of claims (1.7 million in three months), makes me suspect that this is about a lot more than things such as rape torture and the like. especially since there were only about 13,000 troops there at the time. that would mean each and every service member would have to commit about 15 war crimes each, every day. that sounds rather off. i mean each and every serviceman would be hard pressed to do things like rape torture and the rest 15 people a day, every day. and while i am sure that the number of servicemen does not include the CIA, it is doubtfull that there were really enough to make much of a change in that number. but i suspect the answer is also contained in the OP's link

Have you seen a United States Gyrene? Just one could rape and pillage an entire village in Netherlands single handedly.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Would that mean we could stop paying those high bills for the UN, NATO ect.?

My solution is to drop out of NATO and let the Germans run it.

We'll see how long the Hague takes to get on the batphone.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

It is fake news, as that amount of allegations isn’t against “us and our allies”, but also the enemy, as evidenced by the article.

allegations of war crimes committed by Afghan national security forces, Taliban and Haqqani network militants as well as U.S. forces and intelligence officials in Afghanistan since May 2003.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join