It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2006 RNC Strategy Preview (Luntz Report Leaked)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Republican pollster and talking head Frank Luntz is considered to be the definitive issue and language framer for Republican politicians. Any credit going to Karl Rove for knowing how to scare dirt farmers and make Christians clench butt cheeks, really belongs to Luntz.

He shared his secret with FRONTLINE in a recent interview...

"It's all emotion. But there's nothing wrong with emotion. When we are in love, we are not rational; we are emotional. When we are on vacation, we are not rational; we are emotional. When we are happy, we are not [rational]. In fact, in more cases than not, when we are rational, we're actually unhappy. Emotion is good; passion is good. Being into what we're into, provided that it's a healthy pursuit, it's a good thing."

Straight from the horse's mouth. The RNC platform... It's all emotion. Irrational emotion. No surprises there.

A zipped 2-part pdf of his inclusive 160 page 2004 recap and 2006 plan for the RNC is attached. (Hosted by dailykos.com)

Get it while it's hot.

Republicans may be interested to learn now what issues they'll suddenly become irrational over in 2006, and get a head start on the hot button emotional language all the super cool kids will be using in new ATS headlines ripped from propaganda dumps like FreeRepublic and NewsMax.

Democrats may just like a laugh.

Back with relevant summaries and predictions after I get my waders and snorkel for this latest load of Republican excrement.

Isn't this exciting? Will "holocaust" imagery be the new black next year? Will "secular humanism" replace the "homosexual agenda?" And what would Jesus do for a Klondike Bar?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Read it if you dare. It's getting around anyway, so you can pick up analyses anywhere.

In his memo on how to manipulate American perception on the economy, right-wing spinmeister Frank Luntz advises conservatives to “resist the temptation’ to use facts and figures about the economy. (You know, all those pesky statistics about lower wages, unemployment, skyrocketing deficits, etc.) Instead, he advises, you can’t go wrong if you continuosly remind people about the terrorist attacks of 9/11. “This is the context that explains and justifies why we have $500 billion deficits, why the stock market tanked, why unemployment climbed to 6%.”

Oh, yes, he advises preying on the emotions tied to the terrorist attacks to distract Americans from the truth about the economy, writing, “Much of the public anger can be immediately pacified if they are reminded that we would not be in this situation today if 9/11 had not happened.” It’s also an easy way to get President Bush off the hook: Luntz points out that convincing people that the struggling economy is a consequence of 9/11 (as opposed to, say, Bush’s tax cuts for the wealthy) will convince people “it is unfair to blame the current political leadership”

Finally, Luntz advises, 9/11 is the perfect way to dodge responsibility for sinking the country in red ink. In a section headed “Without the context of 9-11, you will be blamed for the deficit,” he points out “supporters are inherently turned off to the idea of fiscal irresponsibility.” The best way to counter that fact? “The trick then is to contextualize the deficit inside of 9/11.”

I'm about 50 pages in and sick of it. 10 things the GOP should talk about, 10 things they shouldn't. 10 ways to talk about something without talking about it. Basically, a play guide on how to confuse the hell out of red state rubes. But the GOP is soooo in touch with "family values" and full of "perceived integrity" they can't help but win regardless. It's really disgusting.

Especially the parts on leave Washington! Don't attend votes, be the incumbent outsider, hang out at home, get on TV going to church.

It's meaningless garbage. Quite perfect actually. It's the GOP playbook!

911911911911911911911911911911911911911911 :shk:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
You know what they say...

If the strategy ain't broke, then don't fix it.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Accidental double post. Mods please delete this one.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by radardog]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I downloaded it, but have not had a chance to crack it yet. I can bet that Dean and his boys will be checking this out very carefully. Tips?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think they're going to have a hard time milking 9/11 again without something else hapening. I hope they do have a hard time, as they cake walked the last election talking about nuclear bombs in American cities and pushed daily Homeland Security briefings with Tom Ridge (illegally) campaigning for Bush all over the country, then Osama (who?) shows up on election eve weekend with a "threat to red states"...

Then all of a sudden on Nov. 3rd we were "safe" again.
Nada. Nothing. No threat. No coverage even.

They even bully spun the "blue finger" photo ops into such a "success" the media hardly mentions dead soldiers anymore (2 today). Conflict coverage is like blasphemy now.

I don't know. I think it's obvious we got schooled and not even Bush sycophants believed the hype and were willing to let it all slip away on Nov. 3rd...but we're more sophisticated than Reagan days. (Some of us anyway.)

We aren't "safe" because Bush magically got re-elected. Though that would certainly seem to be the narrative (or narrative by ommission as it were).

So how are they going to scare us #less all over come 2006? And again in 2008? How? More gay stuff? Please. :shk:

I hope they do stick with the plan. 911, 911, 911 and enough finally see through it to send the bums packing. God knows they've got nothing of substance to run on.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Rant,

Americans tend to have short attention spans. Granted soldiers are getting killed, but they are getting killed everyday -- this then becomes unimportant. Moreover, the threats are still there; the other day the FBI came out and said some things. A link to the article is posted below. In 2006, the strategy seems to be to mention security in terms of appealing to "security moms." The GOP had a lot of success appealng to females in 2004 with this ideology. The RNC strategy also suggested talking about social security reform. Nothing of substance? This reform has a lot of substance, and has caused a lot of debate because of how deep it goes.

I don't know, Rant. It seems you have selective hearing and/or seeing. I hope Dean has a really good grasp of Rhetoric; the democratic showing after the last state of the union was pathetic. Supposing that the democrats had truth on their side, they will still need to be able to sell it, and selling it tends to be the worst thing the DNC is at right now. This is my greatest critique of democracy: it's not the truth that matters, but rather what you are convinced the truth is.

FBI Forecasts New Threats to the United States
www.mensnewsdaily.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by radardog
Nothing of substance? This reform has a lot of substance, and has caused a lot of debate because of how deep it goes.

I don't know, Rant. It seems you have selective hearing and/or seeing.

I'm "aware" of the grave and looming catatastrophe that awaits us with Social Security in 2042.
I see them using the scare tactics there. I've seen the ads bashing AARP. I've also see college Republican rallies and FreeRepublic posts exposing the real intent of this "substantive debate"...

Hey Ho, Social security has got to go!

I also know were not safe from Terror and threats loom large as in your example (and the considerable time I spend on ATS), but my mainstream take was and is Bush and Cheney are no longer playing chicken little, Homeland Security and Osama have left the building, the borders are a free for all, and everybody left standing from the greatest domestic security failure in American history just got promoted.

I'm reading what you're reading though and agree there. They are going after Moms again in 2006 with 911 and trying to inherantly tie the economy to war (I mean the war on terror), but we know it's war. The military industrial complex is the bread and butter of these guys.

top topics

join