It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about NYT Op-Ed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, but also, (in theory) you can’t be messing with the Government’s record keeping, especially at such a high level... And this wasn’t just a anon sourced tip, off the record. A (supposedly) “senior official” published a full document.

Well, when Comey gets more than mildly chided for releasing his memos the way he did even though they were government documents, I'll believe that the government will take the Times to task in any real way.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Treason? Who is the enemy that is being aided and comforted by this op-ed piece?

An enemy from within attempting an internal coup.

Who would have thought back in the early 2000's when the government wrote up all their concerns and warnings about internal enemies and infiltrating the government that we could possibly be talking about radical RINOs or Democrats as opposed to a radical Muslim?

I still can't believe that Imran Awan walked free.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

The precedence the last potus's set seems to indicate this is not a coup.

That depends on who's doing it. If it turns out to be someone who's on a first name basis with Andrew McCabe or Peter Strzok, I think we have a serious problem.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

No. By siding with Putin, against his own National Security team, at the Helsinki Press Conference, specifically.

Sorry, but our FBI and DOJ have proven that they're not anymore trustworthy than Putin and they didn't do themselves any favors when they came out with Russian indictments just a few days before Trump's trip to meet with Putin. They deserved this treatment.

Speculatively, and worst case scenario, he and his team knowingly colluded with the Kremlin to steal DNC computer files and publish them through WikiLeaks, etc.

That's the biggest pile of BS that made our intelligence agencies look bad. As if they don't already look bad enough for never claiming the DNC server for themselves. Fools. The FBI didn't want the DNC server because then they'd have to report what they knew about Hillary Clinton's relation to the DNC and they didn't want any part of it. Our intelligence agencies are getting exactly what they deserve for this attempted cover-up.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu
I have a question...

IF the author of the Op-Ed is in fact a “senior official,” isn’t the Op-Ed an official document that needs to be catalogued by the government for records? And if this is the case, the identity of the author would then need to be confirmed, whether the president says so, or not?

Seems to me, BECAUSE the anonymous author claimed to be a “senior official,” and the NYT chose to publish it (not just using an unidentified source), I would think the NYT LEGALLY has to cooperate...

I could be way off base, which is why I’m asking.

This falls under the "anonymous whistleblower" type action. See Wikipedia under "whistleblowing". This is a First Amendment right, and is not an official government document (though government authors may be anonymous).

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Doesn't matter because the "op-ed" was sponsored by the DNC as a campaign tactic and "written" by a professional PR firm.

Unless of course, it was plagiarized (or bought off) from somebody else.

The Autumn Witch of November is weeks away !!

💥tik😃😃tok💥

Winter is coming...

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

Treason? Who is the enemy that is being aided and comforted by this op-ed piece?

An enemy from within attempting an internal coup.

Who would have thought back in the early 2000's when the government wrote up all their concerns and warnings about internal enemies and infiltrating the government that we could possibly be talking about radical RINOs or Democrats as opposed to a radical Muslim?

Everyone, to answer your question, though you should be careful labeling RINOs or Democrats or anyone else. Internal coup means just that... any group of insiders that is opposed to whatever the current elected government is. So you could have had an "internal coup" for Obama or Bush or anyone else (though I think there was a partial move during Reagan and Nixon.)

However, the actions of other presidents didn't trigger alarm on this kind of level (and yes, that includes Obama. Here on ATS there was lots of howling and shrieking but elsewhere there wasn't.) None of them gave such "off the rails" speeches even when talking extemporaneously (read a few paragraphs of Trump speaking without a prompt and then read any other President. You can quickly see the difference.)

But yes, "internal coup" means people within the government. You might have thought Muslims but I assure you that officials weren't thinking Muslims. They were thinking radical Americans.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

Sorry, but our FBI and DOJ have proven that they're not anymore trustworthy than Putin and they didn't do themselves any favors when they came out with Russian indictments just a few days before Trump's trip to meet with Putin.

Not any more trustworthy than Putin, you say, but Trump put Putin's word above his own Intel Community's word.

They deserved this treatment.

According to you, maybe. But the American people didn't deserve that kind of betrayal.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

But yes, "internal coup" means people within the government. You might have thought Muslims but I assure you that officials weren't thinking Muslims. They were thinking radical Americans.

Not necessarily...

FBI officials from Muslim-majority countries, a minority in a predominantly white bureau, say they are subject to an organizational culture of suspicion and hostility that leadership has done little to reform. At least one decorated intelligence analyst has been fired this year after a long ordeal which began with a routine foreign visit to see his family.

His case and others in which Muslim agents have reported a workplace culture that includes open-ended investigations predicated on their backgrounds were brought to the personal attention of the FBI’s director, James Comey, throughout 2016.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

According to you, maybe. But the American people didn't deserve that kind of betrayal.

Americans were already betrayed by the behavior of our intelligence agencies when they attacked Trump and let Hillary Clinton walk.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

WRONG! Whistle blowing would be going to authorities in charge of oversight and telling them of illegal things being done, this is not whistle blowing, this is an attempted coup of a duly elected POTUS.. Try Again.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

No. There are rules for whistleblowers. They're supposed to go through channels and simply wildly leaking to the press about all the subversive things you do is not how it goes.

Do you honestly think there aren't plenty of memebers of Congress who would be absolutely salivating to get their hands on this leaker/whistlblower?

Not even Cory "Spartacus" Booker or Diane "Cold Medicine" Feinstein?

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

In general, whistleblowing doesn't need to be going to the authorities. For example, Snowden eventually went to the media to whistleblow. You don't have to agree with whistleblowers for their act to be legit. It's usually the public that will decide if going against the authorities is ethical or not.

I think it all depends on what we consider ethical. If a large part of the executive branch sees trump as unhinged/unstable, are their actions ethical?

I think trump is an idiot, but not sure where this resistance falls into ethically. I think boldly claim "coup!" is sensationalism.

edit on 10-9-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Yes, and Snowden leads a wonderful life lauded by all ...

Nope! He lives in exile in Russia.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Winter is coming...

I didn't think the intrigue of Game of Thrones could be surpassed but President Cersei and his dysfunctional White House has outdone even old G.R.R.

You even have hints of semi-inappropriate incestous comments.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

If only someone would blow up the flammable, glowing green sewers of DC ... *That* would be something! I'd pay to watch that.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
If only someone would blow up the flammable, glowing green sewers of DC ... *That* would be something! I'd pay to watch that.

Yes. YES. And then Melania can ride off on a dragon.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

WRONG! Whistle blowing would be going to authorities in charge of oversight and telling them of illegal things being done, this is not whistle blowing, this is an attempted coup of a duly elected POTUS.. Try Again.

What makes this an attempted coup? Trump is still in power.

Even if you are eluding to the op-ed bringing up using the 25th, that is not a coup, that is built into the constitution.

It's hard to have a serious conversation about this when people take it to such extremes.

You've called for charges of treason, which carries a max penalty of death, other members have actually called for the hanging of these people.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
You've called for charges of treason, which carries a max penalty of death, other members have actually called for the hanging of these people.

Hang them only after you give them the full William Wallace treatment.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Hang them only after you give them the full William Wallace treatment.

Easy there, you're giving them ideas haha.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join