It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accessing websites that offer Ebooks with a trial "free membership" or account - any way around?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'm sure we have all seen these sites, there are probably 1000+ domain names, but they all look almost identical. You will probably find the site by searching for a PDF or ePUB/ebook version of the book you want. You'll get this site and it says "download free" or "read online" with a link to free access for 7, 14, 21 or 30 days. When you click on the link it asks for all the normal information like name, email and some other info. when you think you are done, then the Credit card or paypal page pops up and that is where I bail.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across a plugin that allows a way to get around this or maybe a site that has access to these things. I know there are some sites that you can type in the book or the name of the site that hosts the book, and it will access it with their account and you download it through this proxy site. There are some really amazing scientific sites that allow you to access high end science sites for research where you might have to pay $40 - $3000 for a single paper (where you may only need a page or two) - it's meant to keep the general public from having knowledge and keeping it for the elite. The site says it is "operating costs" that keep the costs high, but the author gets something like a fraction of 1% of the price paid for the download (if they get paid at all - as sometimes the site witholds payments for years under some contractual clauses...)

If you know of anything that can do this, what I should search online, or any other helpful tidbits, i'd be very grateful! I'm looking for the 1992 release of Dope Inc and it is impossible to find online except for these sites that want your credit card (they look like phishing sites to begin with, so there's also that.. - Oh and most are run from China or Russia). I'd try to buy it but at $180 for a copy, that is a little steep for me.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
don't know if this is any help to you, and it's the 1978 version...
but I found this...

archive.org...

I managed to get the text file without any hassle...
hopefully legally??

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Check out worldcat.org. I was able to find it at several local libraries. Of course, I live in an uber college town, so results may vary. Once you find the book, click "find in a library" on the left of the page. Put in your zip. It will find the closest copy. I hope that helps. For future reference, you local library has reference librarians. They are always there to help. Good luck!

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

There are some really amazing scientific sites that allow you to access high end science sites for research where you might have to pay $40 - $3000 for a single paper (where you may only need a page or two) - it's meant to keep the general public from having knowledge and keeping it for the elite. The site says it is "operating costs" that keep the costs high, but the author gets something like a fraction of 1% of the price paid for the download

You may benefit from reading this piece by Dr. Holly Witteman; Getting Access to Paywalled Papers

I wrote this to explain some things that are often invisible to people who don’t publish in peer-reviewed journals as corresponding authors. My primary purpose for putting up this post is to share that even in the current, imperfect system, there are things that anyone can do to more easily access paywalled papers.

“...it's meant to keep the general public from having knowledge and keeping it for the elite.”

...Oh behave, lmao

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

there you go. all the books are free with the links to the external websites and with membership, which is very cheap, you get access to everything locally without going to the files hosting sites.

MOBILISM

(post by Brywilson2 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

A few from my Rolodex

The old Baen CD is at the Fifth Imperium

Baen CD at the Fifth Imperium

H P Lovecraft Complete works

Project Gutenberg - free ebooks

And the infamous Library Genesis & Sci-Hub

Library Genesis

Sci-Hub - removing barriers on the way of science

As far as those that require Credit Card I suppose you could use a prepaid card with little or no balance, fake name and throw away e-mail.

edit on 9/9/2018 by Bramble Iceshimmer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I usually know someone with the book and convert into epub with Calibre -- acting in the capacity of a security analyst of course.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

And the infamous Library Genesis & Sci-Hub

Library Genesis

Sci-Hub - removing barriers on the way of science

A friend of a friend told me those sites are pure excellence.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Sometimes colleges allow local residents to join their libraries. They may have an online portal that provides access to some journals that are typically behind paywalls.

Larger local libraries may also have these online portals. And if not online, you may be able to access the material from workstations in the library.

-dex

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I have never signed up on any of those sites, nor would I.
When I’m home later I will post you a link.
The link will bring you to a glorious place that you will most likely find any and every single Ebola you want.
I goto chapters look for a Book I want. Come home and download it for free.
But if it’s a book that I respect the author or if it’s their first work, I will pay for it.
...but 90% of the time it’s just a download away

new topics

top topics

join