It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harbor Freight (?)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Eh, this is one of those topics that inspires really strong opinions. Frequently based on short term experiences, long term biases, and staunch brand loyalty. Not unlike sports or politics, really.

Hard to burst someones bubble that has no brand loyalty whatsoever, though. My only goal is to get the most value for my money and have a tool that doesn't make the job harder or fight with me.

For now, I feel Porter cable does a good job of that balance. Given its price, I'd have to say it being on par with dewalt isn't exactly an insult. I only have maybe 300-400 hours worth of work on the newer stuff (not much, obviously, but they are new additions after all), but its done a good job of it, so my opinion follows that experience.

Interestingly, being owned by a company which owns other companies doesn't mean a great deal to me. Simply because its not a particularly reliable indicator of much of anything. A good example; Japanese Fender guitars.

Now, this all goes out the window when the products are all manufactured on the same line, in the same factory, and then slapped with different logos. But, countries like Mexico and China have really stepped up their game in regards to quality. Its all diverging a bit off topic, but I find the subject pretty interesting.

I'd say those countries are on, or nearing, the same tipping point as Japan once was.. where they are transitioning from unmitigated crap to some serious competition. Of course, doing things like buying from Chinese sellers on eBay is still very, very ill-advised.

Now. This:

"Man Gucci" grade tools

However! I take exception to, good sir!

Sometimes, a job simply requires style and finesse, sir!

Seriously though, finding something like an ultra fine finishing sander that actually works... well, you are going to have to look high up in the tool food chain. Cordless drills are easy in comparison.

I’m pretty brand neutral myself and the I was just trying to let people know that PC isn’t as good as they used to by IMO now I don’t make a living with my tools so it’s not that big a deal for me but I have my guilty pleasure tool brands as well didn’t mean to knock anyone who buys the real high dollar stuff but a lot of it just turns in to name and brand recognition much like with women and their designer brands. We all fall victim to the marketing wanketeers at times.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

What are your "guilty pleasure" brands? And how do you justify them?

Mine is undoubtedly mirka (finish sander) and Weller (soldering iron). Now, I feel my justification is sound in that the mirka actually works as a finish sander and the wellers don't crap out on me after a couple dozen hours.

In the latter, I actually do end up spending less over time. The sander though? It may or may not last longer, so can't use that. Air tools are usually pretty darn reliable due to their nature. With my health, I certainly can't wet sand things by hand in any meaningful time frame, so I feel the justification there is pretty solid too. Doesn't hurt that I got my latest one (MR-3SGV) for

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well my family is a long line of machinists and mechanics so brands like Starret get put pretty high on a pedestal as far as digital calipers I swear by Mitutoyo. Now I’ve always been more on the electronics side so for irons and the such I run Hakko, electrical tools mainly Klein, DMMs Fluke, pliers knipex all the way. As far as mechanics tools I inherited $75k (in 1995 monies) worth of snap on.
edit on 9/11/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR
Well my family is a long line of machinists and mechanics so brands like Starret get put pretty high on a pedestal as far as digital calipers I swear by Mitutoyo. Now I’ve always been more on the electronics side so for irons and the such I run Hakko, electrical tools mainly Klein, DMMs Fluke, pliers knipex all the way. As far as mechanics tools I inherited $75k (in 1995 monies) worth of snap on.

Yeah, I've inherited quotes bit myself. Not my preferred way to get excellent tools, to say the least, but I do enjoy having high quality tools that have equally high quality memories.

I pretty much swear by all those names too. Ill probably never use another micrometer than mitutoyo. Though, I do like my Browne & Sharpe stuff too. Ideally, ill never have to replace them either way

The Hakko gear I tried just never lasted. Weller seems the only one that can meet my needs, which are admittedly much more extensive than the norm.

Never tried Klein.. anything actually. Ill check them out. One tool that's grown on me is my Irwin Vice Grip auto wire strippers. Its the only one I've ever found that works, and works well.

I love fluke gear too, but my keithley benchtop eventually took over the top spot. Couldn't even really tell ya why, it just happened.

Another interesting member of the stable is that I switched to using scalpels as my hobby knife rather than something like an xacto. I'm surprised more folks don't do it, though they really are scary sharp.

I've also found myself hitting up a site like Etsy before I go to a place like Harbor Freight. You can get some very cool, specialized stuff there for great prices. Frequently made by some guy or gal in their workshop.
edit on 11-9-2018 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

Yeah, I've inherited quotes bit myself. Not my preferred way to get excellent tools, to say the least, but I do enjoy having high quality tools that have equally high quality memories.

I pretty much swear by all those names too. Ill probably never use another micrometer than mitutoyo. Though, I do like my Browne & Sharpe stuff too. Ideally, ill never have to replace them either way

The Hakko gear I tried just never lasted. Weller seems the only one that can meet my needs, which are admittedly much more extensive than the norm.

Never tried Klein.. anything actually. Ill check them out. One tool that's grown on me is my Irwin Vice Grip auto wire strippers. Its the only one I've ever found that works, and works well.

I love fluke gear too, but my keithley benchtop eventually took over the top spot. Couldn't even really tell ya why, it just happened.

Another interesting member of the stable is that I switched to using scalpels as my hobby knife rather than something like an xacto. I'm surprised more folks don't do it, though they really are scary sharp.

I've also found myself hitting up a site like Etsy before I go to a place like Harbor Freight. You can get some very cool, specialized stuff there for great prices. Frequently made by some guy or gal in their workshop.

I haven’t messed with high end weller but my Hakko stuff has always been rock solid but I’m more or less just an advanced hobbyist so it’s not like I’m worried about production or working an iron real hard. Oh I use all kinds of medical gear in my electronic hobby stuff I’ve got an entire container full of goodies like forceps and scalpels, stuff is worth it’s weight in gold to me! And I don’t need to do too much justifying of my tool purchases being a bachelor.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Geez, you guys are talking about tools now which I've never even heard of!

I didn't think that was possible, so they must be some pretty specialized tools.

I mean I've heard of Fluke (they're the only meter I'll own), but other than that...I'm lost.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Geez, you guys are talking about tools now which I've never even heard of!

I didn't think that was possible, so they must be some pretty specialized tools.

I mean I've heard of Fluke (they're the only meter I'll own), but other than that...I'm lost.

I didn’t even get into the obscure stuff those are actually big brands lol. Hakko and weller specialize in soldering/reflow gear, mititoyou and starret are super nice micrometers gauge blocks and the likes, Klein is an electricians best friend, knipex are tre the best pliers known to man....

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Okay, Klein is another one I've heard of and also use.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Okay, Klein is another one I've heard of and also use.

Do yourself a favor and check out a pair of knipex and thank me later you’ll never look back!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join