It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harbor Freight (?)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I've got one like that, too.

It's older than I am, and it's still as dependable as can be.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

That impact is BA, i just picked one up. It's a beast, and fits in really tight spots, unlike most 1/2 inchers. 700ftlbs, I think.

edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Only problem with my Porter Cable 18V Li-Ion set is they went to 20V literally a month after I bought them. So wish me luck when the batteries eventually need replaced.

I see me having buy all new...grr.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I've been buying Harbor Freight stuff since the 1990's. I've still got a lot of it.

If you are the run-of-the-mill DIY'er, these tools are pretty good; most of the time. But like anything else, it's hit or miss. Some products are better than others.

When I start a DIY job at home, I price in the cost of a few low-end tools. If the tools only last for that one job, then they've paid for themselves. Most of the time these tools will survive that job and go on to be used elsewhere.

HF also has some higher end tools that they claim to be of similar quality to name brand, but at a lesser cost. I haven't had the need for any high end tools, so I've not invested the money in those products.

I'm also a fan of the 20% store discounts and free tools. I collected a box full of those cheapo DMMs. I played around with a few of them and reverse engineered the circuit and the board. Maybe one of these days I'll make a thread detailing that effort.

-dex

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Most likely just another TTI Hong Kong tool they make most of the brands now, from craftsman to Milwaukee so having the same case and battery is a possibility but I doubt the batteries would switch over, usually they change it enough to were you can’t get over on them too easy by running the cheapo batteries in the higher end tools. It’s a bit off topic but any of you tool guys want to check out an awesome tool review channel search for Bored Of Lame Tool Reviews series by AVE on YouTube dude knows his stuff doesn’t take freebie tools and says things how they are and the guy is an absolute riot! I can watch his videos for hours. I just stopped into a horrible freight for the first time in 5 years or so earlier today, the chinesium smell hasn’t changed at all....

It’s amazing how much better cordless tools have gotten I’ve got a smaller craftsmen 1/2” impact its no 1000 ft/lb monster but it’s also a lot smaller and lighter and it’s still an absolute beast for it’s size, that thing has saved my bacon a few times, I think it’s rated around 750 ft/lbs breakaway. I actually had some fun with with the horrible freight guys earlier brought in my 4 foot snap-on breaker bar and asked if they’d warranty it (not that it was broken just for fun while I on lunch and happened to be parked in the lot).

They’ve actually been releasing some decent cordless tools as opposed to the absolute garbage they used to sell, used to be you were buying a disposable power tool now they’re not too bad. Almost bought one of those 212cc Predator Honda clone motors for a project but didn’t want to haul it around in the cab of the rig with me the rest of the day at work.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

originally posted by: Bluntone22

That impact is BA, i just picked one up. It's a beast, and fits in really tight spots, unlike most 1/2 inchers. 700ftlbs, I think.

Damn you beat me to recommendation for AvE’s vijeos, everyone check this guy out you won’t tegret it.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I've had great luck with my Porter cable gear, a brushless cordless drill and an impact driver.

They've been beat to hell, with significant (ab)use and keep on kicking. Only issue I've had is the brushless drill will shut off after maybe 5-10 minutes of continuous use (no let up, constant spinning).

Sadly porter cable is a zombie company now and not that great used to be awesome stuff and I still snag up the older stuff but anything newer from PC has been disappointing

Sounds like it probably went into thermal protect on either the battery or the mosfets for the electronics that’s the only downfall to brushless is more electronic wizardry to go wrong.
edit on 9/10/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

They all come from pretty much the same place.

I recently bought a drill hammer from HF. I had to take up some tile of the floor. It was waaaaaay cheaper than anything else I could find. On top of that? It worked like a charm.

It went through all the tile without blinking. No doubt there is still quite a bit of mileage in it.

The moral of the story here is not the cheap tools at HF but the descent in quality of "quality" brands elsewhere. They charge prices based on a name and give you a product produced at the loosest tolerances and specifications they can get away with.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Yeah, I've got an old Milwaukee 1/2" HD drill which would definitely break your arm if you hung up a bit and held on to it.

It starts up like it's in granny gear. I think that thing must be geared about 50:1 It's still in the original red metal box they used to come in too. Got it from Dad eons ago. It's definitely 50's-60's vintage. Looks brand new too, and it's seen duty in two lifetimes at different construction companies. I think it looks so new because no one ever used it because they were afraid of the damn thing!! It weighs a ton too. Definitely not a little boy's tool, this thing is a manly man's tool!

It even sounds mean! LOL!

I use it for core drilling asteroids and bank vaults.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

There are so many things I want to say; but this will only be the second post I've replied to. So first, a little more background on me.

Small engine tinkerer/chainsaw collector. Background as a machinist, foundry (casting department) laborer, small engine mechanic, farm/orchard laborer and friends with a former scrap yard owner. Former antiques, coin and vintage jewelry dealer. Electronic scrap recycler. Father of a professional hand tool distributor (truck route sales). Twenty years criss-crossing our great nation in a truck; somewhere in the middle of those other descriptions.

I don't want to be like a hog at the trough. I'm going to respond to everything I've read so far in one general reply.

The HF tool debate. I could dedicate pages to the topic, but won't. The HF chain has been dumping dangerous knockoff products on us for a couple decades. I recommend never purchasing anything from them, that could endanger your life. Avoid all their safety equipment for safety's sake. I also believe that working under anything supported by a HF product is a major gamble with your life. I would't trust their jack stands to hold a matchbox car over me. I would never trust their grinding wheels (not paper abrasives) spinning at ten thousand RPM's just in front of my vital organs. Life is precious, saving a little cash, not so much. Chain hoists, nylon straps, transport chain and comealongs are also a HF no thanks for me.

Using hand and power tools made of highly questionable metal alloy is another safety issue. I'vs had tools shatter and lodge steel splinters deep in my body. Not cool. A shattered socket (non-impact or impact) can explode like a small grenade. An angle grinder housing made of junk aluminum can fail, with the same grenade type results. Both are real life examples that have happened to me. If a person wants to use their wrenches, screwdrivers or pliers go for it. Don't expect to be treated too seriously in a commercial repair shop, or in heavy industry armed with their products.

I see no harm in buying non-safety related HF products for light duty homeowner type applications, and throwaway type situations. Their heaviest grade of poly tarps are really tough. My wife had some of their decorative outdoor things. I looked at their metalworking equipment and found it to be of laughable quality. My neighbor had one of their air compressors fail right after the warranty period.

Chinese chainsaws? No way. Whoever said that HF sawchain was junk, is correct. Chinese sawchain isn't something I want spinning at 10-15K RPM's anywhere near me. Once again it's a quality control issue. Chinese steel is known to have horrible quality control. One of my favorite descriptions of Chinese steel is that it has the properties of both rock candy and taffy at the same time. Hard spots and soft spots in the same product. HF no longer carries their off brand gas chainsaws, but beware the Chinese Poulan Pro model they have now. Homelite, McCulloch, Hitachi, Poulan, Blue Max and some others are made in China, and not to be trusted. I don't trust their plastic handles not to break. I don't trust their chain brakes to save my life, if needed. I suspect they have a very limited lifespan, as well. I don't recommend any Husqvarna product due to the low end dangerous equipment they market to consumers. Redmax, Poulan, Poulan Pro, and Jonsered are some of their brands. Craftsman riding mowers and push mowers are another Husqvarna product. I used to recommend their pro saws, but I lost all faith in Husky, when they brought out the all plastic transaxle in their riding mowers (I forget which model). I figure any company that's that greedy, can't be trusted.

The predator engines at HF are Honda clones. They use very low end alloys and bearings. Some people like them, I don't.

I want nothing to do with TTI products. Based in Hong Kong, TTI's brands are: Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, Ridgid, Homelite, Empire, Stiletto, Hart, Hoover, Oreck, Vax and Dirt Devil. They have been doing some highly questionable promotions with you tube members. There are quite a few youtubers who are shilling their products shamelessly, with fake reviews and classless product placement. It's going on in multiple video categories, not just straight up tool channels. I am seeing this crap on car detailing, lawn care, home repair, home flipping and other channels. Guerrilla marketing like this isn't legal in the US, and I wish the Federal Trade Commission would get involved.

Sorry if this was too long, these are some of the things I'm most passionate about. and I've been subbed to AvE for a log time. He's skookum as frig.

edit on 10-9-2018 by BubbaFudpucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2018 by BubbaFudpucker because: I'm not much of an author.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaFudpucker

So you pretty much hate, well, everything.

LOL!!

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Should be good as long as the connections are the same.

They pretty much all use li-ion batteries (18650 specifically). The difference between 18v and 20v is mostly marketing. They are essentially the same, with the former stating nominal voltage and the latter stating peak voltage, of the same batteries.

I'm sure there are probably exceptions, but until the ubiquitous 18650 stops being used.. it'll be pretty spot on.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Ill simply have to disagree on quality, though the gear I have is a couple years old. I've been reaching for my Porter cable stuff before my ryobi, dewalt, and Bosch for a while now.

I'd agree on the thermal protect. It has enough pros to outweigh that con for me though, and I have no doubt I could hack it if it was a big enough deal.

I suspect none of them will last as long as my decades old tools, or air tools though. Then again, if something like my mirka's died.. I'd probably be inconsolable for weeks.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Really, I've had nothing but good to say about my porter cable grinder that I bought last summer for cutting tile and siding. I've used it to cut/trim rebar--though not something I'd do again, if I had a choice...

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wasn’t trying to burst y’alls PC bubbles but since 2004 when they were bought out by black and Decker and no longer owned by Rockwell they’ve gone downhill a lot, now they’re about on par with DeWalt as they’re both made by Black & Decker.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

I bought a PC oscillating multi tool and it crapped the bed after less than 5 hours total fairly light use, now it may have been a fluke but I’ve seen a lot of people having trouble with modern PC, I’m sure there higher end power tools are still decent but with the cheaper you’re probably better off just going with dewalt IMO.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: BubbaFudpucker

So you pretty much hate, well, everything.

LOL!!

Aside from say Hilti of Festool or some other “Man Gucci” grade tools.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I too am a contractor...cheap or re-conditioned.......pretty much the same thing. You end up getting what you pay for or willing to pay for. I've always held the attitude that the best tools in the hands of the best people leaves you with the best results.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I've got one of those, used it mostly drilling out house's when wiring them. Will certainly take you for an unwanted ride if your not holding the hell on. I like Milwaukee and Porter Cable....electrical contractor I worked for when i was young...only brand they bought. I was sold on both years ago.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

The tools are basically built by 3 different companies:

Stanley, Harbor Freight, and TTI

Stanley makes DeWalt, Porter Cable, and Black and Decker
HF makes Hercules, Bauer and Warrior
TTI makes Milwalkee, Ridged, and Ryobi

This guy goes through this pretty well (at about the 5:50 mark) - this may help explain a bit about the differences between the brands.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Eh, this is one of those topics that inspires really strong opinions. Frequently based on short term experiences, long term biases, and staunch brand loyalty. Not unlike sports or politics, really.

Hard to burst someones bubble that has no brand loyalty whatsoever, though. My only goal is to get the most value for my money and have a tool that doesn't make the job harder or fight with me.

For now, I feel Porter cable does a good job of that balance. Given its price, I'd have to say it being on par with dewalt isn't exactly an insult. I only have maybe 300-400 hours worth of work on the newer stuff (not much, obviously, but they are new additions after all), but its done a good job of it, so my opinion follows that experience.

Interestingly, being owned by a company which owns other companies doesn't mean a great deal to me. Simply because its not a particularly reliable indicator of much of anything. A good example; Japanese Fender guitars.

Now, this all goes out the window when the products are all manufactured on the same line, in the same factory, and then slapped with different logos. But, countries like Mexico and China have really stepped up their game in regards to quality. Its all diverging a bit off topic, but I find the subject pretty interesting.

I'd say those countries are on, or nearing, the same tipping point as Japan once was.. where they are transitioning from unmitigated crap to some serious competition. Of course, doing things like buying from Chinese sellers on eBay is still very, very ill-advised.

Now. This:

"Man Gucci" grade tools

However! I take exception to, good sir!

Sometimes, a job simply requires style and finesse, sir!

Seriously though, finding something like an ultra fine finishing sander that actually works... well, you are going to have to look high up in the tool food chain. Cordless drills are easy in comparison.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join