It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Marijuana may block Alzheimer's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Scientists have found that The active ingredient in marijuana may stall decline from Alzheimer's disease. A synthetic version of the compound has shown to reduce inflammation associated with Alzheimer's, reducing the decline.

news.bbc.co.uk
Microglia collect near the plaque deposits associated with Alzheimer's disease and, when active, cause inflammation.
The researchers found a dramatically reduced functioning of cannabinoid receptors in diseased brain tissue.

This was an indication that patients had lost the capacity to experience cannabinoids' protective effects.

The next step was to test the effect of cannabinoids on rats injected with the amyloid protein that forms Alzheimer's plaques. Those animals who were also given a dose of a cannabinoid performed much better in tests of their mental functioning.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

With no known cure for Alzheimer's this could be a major breakthrough in prevention of it, and is yet another call for the legalization of marijuana for medicinal purposes, which has been met with resistance by governments.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Am i understanding correctly that it helps the imflammation, but that they don't actually get high from it?

what a mixed blessing....

i was kinda hoping that grandma and i could bond while watching harold and kumar go to white castle...
darn...

seriously though, anything that will help the future plague of alzheimers victims will be a good thing.

With the "Prion plague" coming, we need all the help we can get...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
i was kinda hoping that grandma and i could bond while watching harold and kumar go to white castle...
darn...

bwahahaha!

Thanks for making me laugh out loud.

Yeah it appears it's just a compound of it, so I'm guessing there'd be no effects of getting high although I couldn't say for certain. It might make those against legalizing it get their knickers in a less of a twist though...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Already covered here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Already covered here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry sardion, didn't see it...

top topics

join