It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishermen Find 10,000-Year-Old Skull and Antlers of Extinct Giant Elk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

A pair of lucky Northern Irish fishermen pulled in this skull with enormous antlers, measuring a whopping six feet in length. The extraordinary specimen belonged to the extinct Great Elk, which hasn’t been seen in Ireland for over 10,000 years, Belfast Live reports.

This was pulled up by a net from 20 feet down in a freshwater lake in Northern Ireland. 4 years ago a jaw bone from a Great Elk was pulled up in the same spot.

gizmodo.com

edit on 8-9-2018 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Sep 8 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Wall-mount!
I have the hand and forearm of an allosaur I found in Texas hill-country when I was a kid.
I spent weeks cleaning it up.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Damn, that's a hell of a set of antlers. I can't imagine the muscle structure it would have taken to support a head & neck with that much weight. I'm sure it was nothing to the Great Elk but still!

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Pictures or it didn't happen

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis big I swear it!

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Can you imagine seeing that elk running full speed, must of been one heck of a sight.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The megaloceros giganteus had on average a 12 foot tip to tip antlers weighing up to 90 pounds and the elk itself stood about 7 ft tall and weighing 1300 pounds.

Magnificent beast.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: Nyiah

Can you imagine seeing that elk running full speed, must of been one heck of a sight.

That would be the proverbial "S# Your Pants" Special, no doubt.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Some artists impressions:

prehistoric-fauna.com...

Just under twice the height of an adult human:

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Nice, talk about filling up the freezer

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Nice rack.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Imagine the balls on that sucker. Right at human t-bag level lmao. That is insane, thanks for sharing OP.

I had no idea great elk once existed. With a 12 foot horn wingspan, how the hell did those beasts navigate a forest? Lol.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lightdhype
Imagine the balls on that sucker. Right at human t-bag level lmao. That is insane, thanks for sharing OP.

I had no idea great elk once existed. With a 12 foot horn wingspan, how the hell did those beasts navigate a forest? Lol.

Hehe. That's exactly what I was thinking. Would they be able to see the edge of those things?

When I was growing up, whitetail would occasionally get antlers caught in a fence. Very few people have the testicality to try to untangle a pissed-off buck in a situation like that, especially at certain times of the year.

I bet that if one of these guys were to really get going, they could just put their head down, and act just like a bush-hog.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
And those horns/skull didn’t disintegrate in water over 10,000 years because.... ?

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
double posted
edit on 982018 by oriondc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: oriondc
Because it is bone?

edit on 8-9-2018 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: oriondc
And those horns/skull didn’t disintegrate in water over 10,000 years because.... ?

Because it's bone, and depending on water conditions (acidic or not, anaerobic or not, etc) water can preserve bone a long damn time.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

That is the coolest find! I would have soiled my linens if I had found it. Build a house around it I would.

Why does it seem that period had some really cool animals?

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: oriondc

Bog peat marshes with low oxygen levels, so nothing decomposes.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

I agree, all our animals are girly animals compared to back then.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join