It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
How far is it from Roswell?

asking for DB...

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

A very interesting thread.I am thinking that something,or someone,
is either coming down from the sky or coming up from the ground.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
Observatories are always in remote locations. That would seem to rule out a gas leak because there probable is no gas or sewage service in the remote location.

Closing the post office, if the road is blocked it is completely isolated it seems.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
How far is it from Roswell?

asking for DB...

Looks like about 130 miles with naught but desolation in between.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Sounds like either radiation or explosives to me.

I'm looking at the same map. The observatory and post office are closed- What about the campground nearby? What about the house across from the post office?

Something isn't *quite* adding up if it were explosives or radiation. I drew a rough circle around the observatory and the post office- the whole place would go up if an explosion was big enough to wreck both spots. This cute little suburb would become a cute, smoldering wreckage.

Not to mention- this place makes BFE look like a metropolis... What sort of threat is this? Plus, that second link where the sheriff was just lost as to what the threat is, and the FBI's awful fast response. Plus- people swarming antennas and towers as well?

Also, this community is small enough that SOMEONE should have blabbed to the reporters. Even if it was gossip mill fodder- something additional should have been added to this.

Curious and Curiouser....

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

I'm glad someone else said it besides me.
I kinda ruled out all the possibles I could, and was left with... less possibles...

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Looks like the entrance with the stop sign and yellow tape could be here, which would mean all the houses were evacuated as well

For comparison

edit on 9 8 2018 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

Not exactly top security, a stop sign and some tape

edit on 9 8 2018 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Maybe someone had some type of special substance mailed to them opened it at the po and then took it to the other place.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

Looks like the entrance with the stop sign and yellow tape could be here, which would mean all the houses were evacuated as well

Why just single out the observatory and PO? Or is it a little less eye watering than "ENTIRE COMMUNITY OF SUNSPOT EVACUATED"?

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Well I guess it stared out as military

The telescope was originally built by the United States Air Force, completing construction in 1969. Following several years of operation, ownership of the observatory was transferred to the National Solar Observatory (NSO), part of the National Science Foundation, in 1976. The NSO carried out research into the Sun as an astronomical object in Sunspot from 1976 to 2017. The telescope was highly prolific scientifically, and during the height of operations a new instrument setup was built roughly every ten days. From 2016 to 2018 the New Mexico State University, funded by NSF, initiated a drive to upgrade and update the telescope, with the goal to form the Sunspot Solar Observatory Consortium that has run the telescope since late 2017.

Mentioned here
Close Encounters Of The Fourth Kind: Alien Abduction, UFOs, and the ...
By C.D.B. Bryan

books.google.com... L&sig=u5jlvZKmGXV9VEoqRZYpZLOsz5c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjlg8698qvdAhWSzlMKHStxC1YQ6AEwDnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=underground%20installations%20Sunspot%20O bservatory&f=false

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a curious read... www.revolvy.com...

There are two other Observatories that work with Sunspot NM.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

That's what I was thinking, no mention of clearing the whole area, unless the houses are all owned by the observatory, and the whole thing is considered as 1 facility.

But then, why mention the post office?

Confusing situation there

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Lol I somehow made my avatar background the Google map of the place

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Since the post office is involved. I wonder if it was something sent through the mail. Do they use anything radioactive at sunspot ?

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
a reply to: wylekat

That's what I was thinking, no mention of clearing the whole area, unless the houses are all owned by the observatory, and the whole thing is considered as 1 facility.

But then, why mention the post office?

Confusing situation there

I sure looks like the total including the camp ground are part of the observatory.
The Post Office has no idea why they were closed, normally you would think they would be notified if something dangerous was sent. They are wanting answers too it seems.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Since the post office is involved. I wonder if it was something sent through the mail. Do they use anything radioactive at sunspot ?

I haven't found anything that shows they do, it monitors solar radiation but it was military and according to Close Encounters Of The Fourth Kind: Alien Abduction, UFOs, and the ...
By C.D.B. Bryan
Has a top secret designation.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Could be a fire/arson and that's why the feds were called in. Crime in the national forest.

Or a bigfoot high on shrooms wandering around lookin for trouble; just speculation of course.

I Called the cloudcroft radio station, haven't heard back yet....
edit on 8-9-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Anything is possible .

I tried to look wiki names the two telescopes types. But it was all Greek to me .

My other thought was maybe they use it when developing the images ?

I'm just thinking out loud here, hoping for other input like yours. Thanks .

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Could be a fire/arson and that's why the feds were called in. Crime in the national forest.

Wouldn't there be fire crews? No mention of that.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
A little background. Notice the 'White Sands' reference.
www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join