It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vampire Origin Answer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It seems alot of people are always asking
"what are the orgins of Vampires?"
Or "who was the first Vampire?"
This Interesting Site
I found it pretty interesting.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Jaracara

Origin: Brazil

Description: Normally appearing as snakes, jaracara are said to drink the milk of sleeping women as well as their blood.

SMR

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Nice link,yet it fails to list one that may have originated VAMPIRES.

Judas Iscariot: The First Vampire

The Biblical Story of Judas Iscariot:

To begin with lets review a bit of bible history, for those of you who are not familiar with the story of Judas Iscariot. Judas betrayed Jesus christ to the chief priests and elders for 30 silver pieces, Judas then felt so horrible for what he had done when he found out that Jesus had been condemned, he attempted to return the silver pieces, but the chief priests and elders refused to accept them from him. Judas threw down the silver pieces in the temple, and departed, he then hung himself.

How Judas Became a Vampire:

Now there are many beliefs as to how exactly Judas becomes a vampire, the first belief and most common is that god cursed Judas and his family to walk the earth until the second coming of Jesus, and until that time he would thirst for the blood of jesus, which of course he could only receive through christians. Which is proof that perhaps this myth was propogated by the church.

The second belief is not as common, but goes along with the Last Supper, what many do not know is that during the last supper jesus was quite serious when he said to drink of his blood and eat of his flesh, in fact half of his disciples walked out on his because of this. There are quite a few people who belief Jesus himself was a vampire, thus it is easily believed that Jesus himself created Judas knowing he would betray him, and perhaps created Judas as a grand experiment.

The Folklore Involved in the Mythos:

It has been very common through vampire folklore to believe that those who commit suicide will become vampires themselves being that suicide is believed to damn your soul. This belief, most likely draws from the Judas mythos, as Judas hung himself in his guilt for betraying Jesus.

Another belief is the belief that vampires have red hair, a belief quite common in the Mediteranian region where red hair was uncommon. Judas is believed to have been a red head, and thus it was believed his children would also have red hair. This was found then to be a common sign of a person who was or would become a vampire.

Perhaps the most common of the vampire mythos is the belief that a vampire can be destroyed by a stake, more precisely a stake of aspen wood. Aspen is the wood that it is believed the cross upon which Jesus died was made of, thus because Judas had ultimately caused Jesus' death he would be repelled by the item of his demise.

It is also believed that the mythos of a vampires repulsion by crucifixes and other holy items stems from the Judas mythos. Simply put, Judas felt great sadness for what he had done, and as such he was repelled by anything that reminded him of his great crime, and the atrocities which he committed.

The final folk belief about vampires that is attributed to the Judas Iscariot mythos is the belief that vampires are repelled by silver. It is believed that since Judas himself cast aside the silver which he had taken when he sold out jesus that he now had a repulsion to the substance and as such was repelled by it.

The specific quote from the bible is as such:

3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. 5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himsef. (Matthew 27:3-5)

In Conclusion:

This myth is very obscure, it is old, and not as popular as many other myths, but it gives answers to why a few of the folklore beliefs exist. During the modern day the image of the vampire has changed, from a predatory creature of the night, to a almost romantic figure of modern culture. Perhaps this is why many origin myths have survived while others died out, there is a great deal less involvement by the Church in our beliefs and as such many of the truely religous vampire beliefs have all but died out.

In reality, most vampire beliefs were created by the Church to keep people from robbing graves, roaming the streets at night, and to generally instill fear in a relatively ignorant populace. And it is quite safe to say that the majority of our populace is far from ignorant, and as such, through novels and books the image of the vampire has become romanticized and glamorized.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Well i cant find the link but i read on a few different websites that lilith was considerd the mother of vampires. For people who dont know Lilith was surpose to be made befor Eve, but lilith wanted equality between men and women. So she was banished from eden and became the spouse of the devil.
This is the jist of the story, well anyway hope it was insightful.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I heard that back in Romania and Hungary and other Central European Countries was where the whole Vampire thing started...well those where the countries where the story had the most impact

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I know that there are stories of vampires from Ancient Greece, plus I believe some were mentioned in Sumerian writings.

Judas Iscariot was used as a plot device for Dracula 2000.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Medical explanations of Vampirism.

Porphyria

Definition
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders involving abnormalities in the production of heme pigments (the base material responsible for hemoglobin (red blood cell pigment), myoglobin (reddish muscle cell pigment) and another group of materials called cytochromes. Porphyrias are characterized by three major findings: photodermatitis (light sensitivity causing rashes), neuropsychiatric complaints, and visceral complaints (e.g., abdominal pain, cramping).

Symptoms

Red urine
Sensitivity to sunlight
Blister (bulla) formation on exposure to sunlight
Skin swelling (edema) on exposure to sunlight
Photodermatitis

Crampy abdominal pain (may be extremely severe)
Constipation
Vomiting
Pain in the limbs
Pain in the back
Personality change
Numbness or tingling
Muscle pain
Muscle weakness or paralysis

More: health.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I know that there are stories of vampires from Ancient Greece, plus I believe some were mentioned in Sumerian writings.

Judas Iscariot was used as a plot device for Dracula 2000.

I think the truth about Vamps is that they are truely the Pisky baby o.O and I would photoshop the pic of the Vamp Pisky baby but Im lazy so I leave it to someone else to do

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yes, there are Sumerian vampires that predate Judas (ditto Greek ones.)

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Lillith (Adam's first wife according to non-included biblical era texts), Cain (as in he who slayed Abel), and Judas (as mentioned) are certainly good literary choices for the "first" vampire of the mythos.

It was interesting to see Dracula 2000 use the Judas explanation....they did a fairly good job of it imho....and excellent explanation for the silver and wood vulnerability

The concept though, is in all cultures, as the original legend is likely rooted in man's early misunderstanding of the processes of decomposition and used as a scapegoat for plague, etc. Surprisingly, most actual vampire legends are of mindless monsters who rise up from their graves and feast on the living, not romantic villains. The original idea of the stake was to quite simply, keep them fastened in their graves...
Another common ritual was to remove the head, stuff it with flowers (or garlic) and burn it, to drive away the evil spirit. Early American vampires were often destroyed by removing the heart and burning it on the gravestone...to prevent the vampire's ressurrection.

ID

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
SMR,

There are quite a few people who belief Jesus himself was a vampire, thus it is easily believed that Jesus himself created Judas knowing he would betray him, and perhaps created Judas as a grand experiment.
If you use biblical mythology you can easily disprove this theory. First and for most Jesus was the son of got and free from all sin including original sin. As vampires are almost always considered to be”evil” this completely contradicts the bible, also, vampires drink the blood of others and are thought to be undead, things not usually associated with holy persons. You mentioned that some believe Jesus “created” Judas, this is completely dismissible as God sent Jesus as a man not one who would be capable of summoning or creating a supernatural being such as a vampire.

Myths usually have some basis in fact; I believe the Vampire myth to be a combination of some misunderstood blood drinking rituals and several rare medical conditions that would frighten persons with out sophisticated medical knowledge. Below is my post from the topic “Vampiric Nation: Fact Or Fiction?” which I hope will shed some light on the topic.

Originally posted by ID
Here are a few diseases that are thought to have brought about the myth of the Vampire that exists to this day. After reading over these myself I can honestly see why this myth arose, people are often scared of the unknown and these symptoms are almost mirror images of the overall vampire myth.

Tuberculosis, which was formerly referred to as Consumption was a common false indicator of vampirism as it would usually effect an entire family and the person who died first of it would be though to be responsible and thus a vampire (strange I know).

Xeroderma pigmentosum causes the skin to become sensitive UV radiation especially sunlight and can result in blistering or freckling even from minimal exposure.

Catalepsy may be at part responsible for the myth of vampires as it slowly shuts down the nervous system slowing the individual’s heart rate until it becomes virtually non-existent. A person suffering from this condition may fall into a state where they are able to see and hear but cannot move. To the untrained eye it would look as though the person had passed on. Embalming dead bodies is a recent idea and so people may have buried someone suffering from Catalepsy only to find out later that they had awoken from this state and dug their way out.

Porphyria causes individuals gums to tighten severally around teeth which would make the canine teeth appear to be much more prominent. It also causes the body to be unable to produce heme (a component of red blood). This lack of heme is today treated with regular injections however long ago victims may have attempted to treat it by consuming blood, this however does not aid the victim as the heme is unable to survive digestion. Garlic worsens the symptoms of Porphyria making the effects much more painful thus someone suffering from this disease would attempt to avoid it.

Anemia is a blood disease which causes the number of red blood cells to drop drastically. Symptoms include a pale complexion and inability to consume food. Both of these symptoms were also thought to be signs that a person had been bitten by a vampire and thus was beginning their own transformation.

-id

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The oldest known document with a reference to a vampirelike being is a 2400 BCE tablet known as "The Sumerian King List", a very boring list
of all the kings of Sumer, their paternal lineage, and the years of
their rule. One entry is for the famous King Gilgamesh. It says that
Gilgamesh's father was a Lillu. In Sumerian myth, there were a number
of beings who, like the incubi and succubi [q.v. 2.04], come to sleeping
individuals to mate with them. Lillu is an incubus (male). One of the
succubi was Lilake/Lilitu whom some claim to be a forerunner of Lilith.

taken from www.faqs.org...

It also goes on to say that this is probably not the first vampire because there are no written histories before this.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Quote: "During the last supper Jesus was quite serious when he said to Drink of his Blood and Eat of his Flesh, in fact half of his disciples walked out on his because of this. There are quite a few people who belief Jesus himself was a Vampire."

Well looks like the secret is out! So much for the whole
"Satanic Black Mass" thing - it is simply the "CHRISTIAN MASS"! The Cool thing about being a Vampire is all of the Super Powers! I have said this before & I will say it again -> Christianity is PAGAN & that is the way we like it! Judaism is NOT the First or Oldest Religion - as a Matter of fact Christianity existed BEFORE Jesus (B.C. - speaking of Sumerians & Egyptians) in a REALLY, REALLY PAGAN Form! Will you people look into Gnosticism already - Jesus was a MASTER MAGICIAN!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Okay, it looks like i made a mistake.
This thread is supposed to be WHERE vampires originated...as in Culture-wise.

SMR

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
You cant really pin-point it as every culture has 'they're' version and many date around the same times.
I think maybe some of us thought to answer when,rather than where.Sorry.
Some articles ( stories ) have sightings,but no certain date.So saying the earliest date may infact be way later.Make sense?Probably not.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
the first document or recorded vampire was Lilith. the Babalonians worshiped her as a Vampire Goddess. If you research her you will find she was Adams first wife but because she would not submit to him. (wouldnt be on the bottom
) she was left da garden. she lived in the desert and started reproducing with demons in essence becoming one herself. she was said to have roamed the land searching for babies to drink there blood. the reason for this is she was asked to come back by an angel (cant remember which) and when she wouldnt all her children were killed. of course this is just a brief summary

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
i never get tired of writing this vampires did not originate from stories the idea that vampires have different starting or dont have as many weakness or its just some peoples definition of some disease are all just whats called spin stories from vampires......in the beginning there was eight taken from cain's grandchildren and great grandchildren cain chose but had nothing to do with the disease itself reason for it to help out man it a turmoiled world the disease was very very complex combined spider and some angel basic components plus sides improved sight hearing reflexes and strength denser muscles and bones negative sides sensitivity to UV light and silver based things..........things that take no affect garlic and forms of decapitation or disembodiment there are alot more details available but remember for every cool and amazing your government has already fooled you into thinking its lost or nothing is there

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SMR

Thats pretty damn cool, lol.

I believe in Vampires but Im not sure if there are any in recorded History that ALSO have evidence to go along with it. Right now, I have to say Vlad The Impaler. Not a real vampire though

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Lilith was not the first vampire, though she did consort with demons after leaving Adam. Lilith was the mother of Cain, while Eve was the mother of Abel. The vampiric curse was rendered unto Cain as punishment for slaying Abel. A punishment of living an eternal death, unable to enter neither heaven nor hell.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
one more thing lilith was not a vampire lilith was not a human this is just another myth....lilith is a fallen angel so that means she is a demon

new topics

top topics

join