It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Richat Structure, the Eye of Sahara, the remains of Atlantis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Atlantis was described by Plato as being a circular city surrounded by multiple rings of water and land...

The Richat Structure in the Sahara appears to meet Plato's description. The Richat Structure was originally thought to have been caused by an impact crater but there isn't enough melted rock to support that theory. So scientists still arn't sure how it formed.

This youtube video compares the Richat Structure to Plato's description of Atlantis.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

The Richat Structure was originally thought to have been caused by an impact crater but there isn't enough melted rock to support that theory. So scientists still arn't sure how it formed.

The definitive test for an impact crater is shocked quartz and shattercones, in which this crater has many and scientists DO know it is an impact crater.

That does not mean the concentric rings and troughs inside the crater, and the central uplift were not used by another civilization though....

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
lol..

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Initially interpreted as a meteorite impact structure because of its high degree of circularity, it is now thought to be merely a symmetrical uplift that has been laid bare by erosion. Paleozoic quartzites form the resistant beds outlining the structure.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Been in a number of meteorite forums where this crater was discussed ad-nauseaum. Some went and collected samples. Unless some academic chair stands up for the real evidence, then NASA will certainly have it's way.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

It really doesn't matter if it was or not created by an impact as it doesn't exclude its use either way. Research Paper I was quoting from is old (1969).

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

It really doesn't matter if it was or not created by an impact as it doesn't exclude its use either way. Research Paper I was quoting from is old (1969).

I understand that. It is just that science has to catch up to latest research and it just does not fast enough, with all of the research and archeology that is going on today. May be a good thing, because rushing to expected conclusions is not healthy for science either.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

it could very well be the impact crater that caused the end of the younger dryas no, if what you say is true?

also it being an impact crater is irrelevant overall to weather or not it was the home of atlantis correct?
edit on 4-9-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I think dated to 80-110my but not "authenticated" yet. Not contributor to YD.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I tried to answer you other thread but was blocked. Yes I would love to visit too when its not so hot (expected temperature today 104F). It must have incredibly beautiful when the rivers were flowing. A real garden of Eden.

If Atlantieans were mining for gold someone should cover the area with metal detector to see if they can find any coins and such.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Could it be a mine itself? Its obviously not just a natural formatoon something unusual happened there

How much you want to bet the hidden hands knows the truth?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

If it is an impact crater the heating element of the impact can skew the data can it not?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

If it is an impact crater the heating element of the impact can skew the data can it not?

Actually it is the force of impact that really supplies the data. Shocked quartz and shatter cones, followed by the inclusion of iridium, the presence of nano-diamonds and carbon spherules. No other cataclysm on Earth can produce the combination of these markers. (Nuclear explosions are not even powerful enough to shock quartz, but they do melt glass.)
edit on 4-9-2018 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I meant as far as dating was concerned

Good info though

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

It is my belief that the Eye of the Sahara is actually the remains of an ancient caldera that possible caused an event much like we are all waiting for from Yellowstone. I haven't really researched it, it's just a gut feeling I have. Take it or leave it, doesn't bother me either way.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

I meant as far as dating was concerned

Good info though

The dating is tough. Measuring the shock veins in quartz, spectroscopy of minerals in igneous rock and the geology of the rock strata itself.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

It is my belief that the Eye of the Sahara is actually the remains of an ancient caldera that possible caused an event much like we are all waiting for from Yellowstone. I haven't really researched it, it's just a gut feeling I have. Take it or leave it, doesn't bother me either way.

Well if a volcanic caldera, then it has to be basalt.. but the evidence is not there for that.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Just found this:

Molten rock pushed up toward the surface but didn't make it all the way, creating a dome of rock layers, like a very large pimple. This also created fault lines circling and crossing the Eye. The molten rock also dissolved limestone near the center of the Eye, which collapsed to form a special type of rock called breccia. A little after 100 million years ago, the Eye erupted violently. That collapsed the bubble partway, and erosion did the rest of the work to create the Eye of the Sahara that we know today. The rings are made of different types of rock that erode at different speeds. The paler circle near the center of the Eye is volcanic rock created during that explosion.

Scientists still have questions about the Eye of the Sahara

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

hat would explain the channels filled with water. Good thinking.

How much you want to bet the hidden hands knows the truth?

I had to ponder this question. If a cataclysm did strike the earth 13,000 years ago, that caused massive tidal waves, wiping out all of civilisation, they might be in the dark just as much as we are today. But given they don't let the public browse the vatican library does indicate they want to hide knowledge. Why, I don't know.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

This thread here is I think the best explanation for the location of Atlantis that I've come across.

South America: The Definitive Geographic Location Of Atlantis

You may find it compelling.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join