It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidencies. How many have you been through?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

With age, comes knowledge. What comes after that involves how people process that knowledge and, hopefully, come to be wise.

I was born in the Johnson admin. Still not particularly a political guy as I never could pick a side. Even as a youngster I couldn't figure out the sides and still don't understand the left/right debate. Both are corrupt scum if you ask me.

Don't know if I'm wise or a fool, but I'm trying.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

If I read that correctly it doesnt make you a lot older than I am.

Quite possible; my assumption was based on your apparent preference for youth over maturity.

I certainly understand your point about age giving you a different prospective. I would describe it as aging giving you an understanding of coming to understand that you dont know as much as you think you do. A concept many young people dont have.

And is not the realization that one does not have all the answers an inherent part of wisdom?

But realizing this doesnt make one smarter; just more humble. Its entirely possible for those young brash people to have the right idea and for older people to stifle it because they think they know better.

I believe you are confusing knowledge with wisdom. The two are not the same. As a matter of fact, your first post in this thread seems to make the same false comparison.

All the knowledge in the world is useless if one lacks the wisdom to utilize it.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

As a teenager and even early 20's didn't get caught up in politics, it was the 80's after all. You just knew those bastards from the government took a chunk of your first jobs paycheck and you would rarely if ever comment on a president or much less a politician among friends unless they got shot or did something stupid.

Funny... we felt the same way in the 70s. I would bet people that age felt the same way in the 60s and the 90s. I'm pretty sure my parents felt the same way in the 50s.

It's not the era. It's the coming of age and the beginnings of experience. As I have already said, I have lived the age of the young, but the young have not lived at my age yet. There are people here obviously older than me; They have been my age but I have not been their age yet. There is no shame in either; there is only reality.

The names change with every generation, and the issues change with every generation, but the reality remains: the young want to use their vitality to change the world, while the aged desire to ensure that the proper changes happen. All change is not good. Ask a Venezuelan.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Ten Presidents...beginning with Johnson and continuing through Trump. Several I don’t remember of course. I do remember my parents ridiculed Carter and thought he was weak and embarrassing. The first President I recall vividly myself was Reagan, and to this day I still consider him to be my favorite. I didn’t like Bush Sr. Even though I thought he was incorrigible, I found Clinton to seem likeable and pleasant. I liked GW Bush at first but by his second term my feelings had changed. I never warmed up to Obama—too elitist and ameteurish. And now Trump...he is keeping things lively...he is the Ring Master of the big loud lively tent, and how the show ends will tell the tale I suppose.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I was 10 in 1970 so Presidents before that I really don't remember...

Nixon: Talked more crap than Trump could ever think of, but then he didn't have 24/7 coverage either. Not a bad President, not good either.

Ford: Who?

Carter: Just planed sucked can someone name one good thing from his Presidency? Even giving back the bases in the PI and giving back the Panama canal was some of the worst things he did on a long list of bad things.

Reagan: Was good to me...I was in the military and he actually brought the military out of the dark ages of Carter..

Bush senior: Who?

Clinton: Not good to me being in the military. If there was ever a time that Russia could have attacked us and won it was about 1998...I started the 90s off better than they finished.

Bush jr: Was super good to the military...I had great gains during his years but cost a lot of lives and trillions wasted

Obama: I reached the point a President couldn't touch me so I did great...but then 40%+ of America was hurting bad under his failed policies, and being Bush 2.0 cost a lot of lives and trillions...lol Hillary...geez... Do any of you know that Hillary curses worse than a drunken sailor...lol

Trump: Anyone but Hillary....With all the bad crap everyone talks about he actually hasn't hurt any Americans like his last two predecessors... I gained 6k from his tax cuts, so I'm good. Trillions lost with the last two Presidents and you all bitch about a stupid wall...lol

edit on 5-9-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

As a teenager and even early 20's didn't get caught up in politics, it was the 80's after all. You just knew those bastards from the government took a chunk of your first jobs paycheck and you would rarely if ever comment on a president or much less a politician among friends unless they got shot or did something stupid.

Funny... we felt the same way in the 70s. I would bet people that age felt the same way in the 60s and the 90s. I'm pretty sure my parents felt the same way in the 50s.

It's not the era. It's the coming of age and the beginnings of experience. As I have already said, I have lived the age of the young, but the young have not lived at my age yet. There are people here obviously older than me; They have been my age but I have not been their age yet. There is no shame in either; there is only reality. The names change with every generation, and the issues change with every generation, but the reality remains: the young want to use their vitality to change the world, while the aged desire to ensure that the proper changes happen. All change is not good. Ask a Venezuelan.

TheRedneck

Im not even sure I agree my generation even wanted to change the world in their teens and early 20's that was the point of my post. Think mostly they were glad the turbulent 60's and 70's were over, it was also the first generation of teens where both mom and dad worked, pretty much aka latch key kids. Now it seems and again not saying its a bad thing it is just how it is teens get hit with political information and have developed definite opinions, late 70's and 80's we didnt get the media blasts 24/7, the MTV generation and being left alone to our own devices we were just a tab bit self absorbed.

Remember we were pretty lax as we had an 18 year old drinking age and most started earlier than that, LOL smoking areas at high school. Eventually we caught up but it took the realities of young adulthood to slap us in the face, like an 8.3 interest rate on my first home for example. Again there is no right or wrong but really dont think my generation was idealistic at all and considering I was the youngest of 4, my brother and older sisters and friends didnt seem to idealistic either. Its almost like that fervor skipped those years to balance out the in between hyper aware 60's and early 70's more regulated and media bombarded 2000's which probably started with 9/11 freaking everybody out.

Who knows though I could be totally wrong cause I certainly enjoyed my teenage and early 20's to an excess right up to my personal limits.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

The bush's and clinton's are the problem with the country. The reagans/obamas/trumps are what presidents should be. I hated obama (not irrationally... at least 90% of the time it wasn't irrational) but at least he wasn't a bush or a clinton.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Remember we were pretty lax as we had an 18 year old drinking age and most started earlier than that, LOL smoking areas at high school. Eventually we caught up but it took the realities of young adulthood to slap us in the face, like an 8.3 interest rate on my first home for example. Again there is no right or wrong but really dont think my generation was idealistic at all and considering I was the youngest of 4, my brother and older sisters and friends didnt seem to idealistic either. Its almost like that fervor skipped those years to balance out the in between hyper aware 60's and early 70's more regulated and media bombarded 2000's which probably started with 9/11 freaking everybody out.

Who knows though I could be totally wrong cause I certainly enjoyed my teenage and early 20's to an excess right up to my personal limits.

My first car was 18% interest...lol I think I was making just under 5 bucks an hour too. Kids today don't realize we had it worst in many cases the difference was cost of living with an appt, no TV, no phone, no computer, cinder block furniture meant less expenses, but then all that stuff are rights in the eyes of today's young people and not privileges, so yes they need 15 to 20 bucks an hour to pay for all those rights.

edit on 5-9-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Born 1yr of Ike...grade school for Kennedy, high school with Johnson and Nixon....

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

This is my 8th

Yeah, thats a few alright. Ever feel like me wondering if it'll ever get better???

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

With age, comes knowledge. What comes after that involves how people process that knowledge and, hopefully, come to be wise.

I was born in the Johnson admin. Still not particularly a political guy as I never could pick a side. Even as a youngster I couldn't figure out the sides and still don't understand the left/right debate. Both are corrupt scum if you ask me.

Don't know if I'm wise or a fool, but I'm trying.

Me too...I protested Vietnam and Johnson right off...I was tired seeing a lot of my high school friends then 19-20 yrs old coming home in pine boxes.

Wisdom and experience comes with age...thanks for replying

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
since truman

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Dwight Eisenhower (2)
1953–1961
John F. Kennedy
1961–1963
Lyndon Johnson
1963–1969
Richard Nixon
1969–1974
Gerald Ford
1974–1977
Jimmy Carter
1977–1981
Ronald Reagan (2)
1981–1989
George H. W. Bush
1989–1993
William J. Clinton (2)
1993–2001
George W. Bush (2)
2001–2009
Barack Obama (2)
2009–2017
Donald J. Trump

Ditto . and Ike was the Best after Trump IMO .

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: putnam6

My first car was 18% interest...lol I think I was making just under 5 bucks an hour too. Kids today don't realize we had it worst in many cases the difference was cost of living with an appt, no TV, no phone, no computer, cinder block furniture meant less expenses, but then all that stuff are rights in the eyes of today's young people and not privileges, so yes they need 15 to 20 bucks an hour to pay for all those rights.

LOL first apartment the most expensive thing was the stereo and yea we had the big spool electrical wire coffee table and really old and broken sofa, initially just sleeping on the floor in my bedroom all clothes stacked or hanging in the closet. First purchase was a mattress just a mattress lol but I thought damn I'm moving up in the world. LOL I know our neighbors hated us LOL I would have too we never slept. That was late teens through early 20's and can guarantee we didn't give a spit about politics.
edit on 6-9-2018 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Damn Hippies ! .Get a Hair Cut Ya Bum ! ............)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join