It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Teens in Colombia Kill Themselves After Playing Horrifying Momo ‘Game’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
blackchristiannews.com... omo-game/

Local media report that the body of the 16-year-old boy was found first and that it is believed he knew the 12-year-old girl.

Police believe he passed the game onto her before his death, it was reported.

The girl was found hanged two days later by relatives.

The ‘game’ involves adding a phone number said to belong to ‘Momo’ – which uses a picture of a terrifying face on its profile – who then sends a series of challenges and threats ending with a demand that the player commits suicide.

as if poor kids don't have enough stuff to worry about
even games are bringing pain and destruction.

part of me wants to blame parents but they can't watch you 24/7, especially teens.

would it be immoral of me to offer up a curse at whoever came up with this?

if anyone has a teenager in their live, please reach out to them and communicate with them. don't let them live their lives in e-land.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So basically it's a fancy version of those screamer videos and spamchains you used to get on YouTube back in 2008. Only in text message form.

I tell you some people will believe anything these days. If I killed myself every time I saw those back in those days during my teen years I wouldn't have lasted my first week on the internet.

Edit:

I looked up the image. I've definitely seen it before.

Yep. I'd definitely do what this thing told me...
edit on -050002pm9kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
i think would too

how can you resist when a stupid thing tells you to kill yourself. i mean you must.
and at 14 years old you have no capacity to use your own brain to think... no i wont do that

whatever

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Una palabra para eso:

Pendejos!

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru

Una palabra para eso:

Pendejos!

en Englais por favor?

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

We are all looking for spiritual guidance. Unfortunately some of us are more suggestible than others.

The demonic female in Indo-Tibetan culture is known as Mamos. One should not mess with them -- but try to placate.

However effective it may be, offing yourself is definitely not the recommended method of placation.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

ending with a demand that the player commits suicide

Well they just HAVE to do it. I mean, “F no!” just isn’t an option against a (not so) scary picture telling you to kill yourself.

/sarc

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

clicko el linko sil vu play

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Christians now breaking their news out in a black and white version? Or is it black and all others.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Until this is proven I say it's faked for publicity.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru

We are all looking for spiritual guidance. Unfortunately some of us are more suggestible than others.

The demonic female in Indo-Tibetan culture is known as Mamos. One should not mess with them -- but try to placate.

However effective it may be, offing yourself is definitely not the recommended method of placation.

The image certainly gives me a bad feeling, there could be other forces involved that push the kids to the edge.
Like all things evil it seems they use a step method, starting people on little baby steps and send them to the big stuff like the boiling frog.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
what kind of generation is being raised if they kill themselves because a text message tells them to? it really does show that our society, and that especially means the schools are teaching children to be drones that just blindly follow orders. and it shows the danger of doing so.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Good!
Two less morons in this world of mostly morons.
I sincerely hope many more people start playing this game.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Why isn't the person who developed this being charged? Someone remind me?

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Simple Darwinism.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Until this is proven I say it's faked for publicity.

some people are saying its not real
www.thenewsminute.com...

Further, a cyber expert Ritesh Bhatia told India Today that his attempts to contact WhatsApp admins of Momo groups in Japan, Colombia and Mexico had revealed that the accounts, while complete with the photos of ‘Momo’, were actually inactive. He dismissed the challenge as a hoax.

In other countries as well, there are similar questions about the challenge. In July, the Spanish police declared the challenge as a hoax, and even the Mexico police warned people that the challenge was being used to steal personal information.

still authorities are taking it seriously

a first-year college student from Jalpaiguri in West Bengal filed a police complaint after she received a WhatsApp message from an unknown number to play the Momo challenge. This reportedly happened after she posted on social media that she wanted to take her life after she had a quarrel with her mother.

While combing through the replies to multiple tweets by a particular Twitter handle called ‘Momo challenge’, we found that people have shared their WhatsApp number, declared their interest to ‘play’. Someone even said that they are ‘very lonely’.
While anyone can be a target of the Momo challenge, issues that children across the globe face, such as peer pressure, depression, anxiety and the need for validation, may make them more vulnerable to such attacks.

makes me wonder what else is out there on the webs

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

Good!
Two less morons in this world of mostly morons.
I sincerely hope many more people start playing this game.

That is just plain disgusting and I would say thinking like that is much worse than these poor kids who clearly had problems whether Family or other. But they are KIDS! What would your excuse be?

Do you know how many kids out there have been raped by their own Father since they were born or have alcoholic or drugged Parents and a million other things to deal with!

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Next time before you post a horrifying image can you put an all CAPS warning....And maybe just a link along with a warning. This is a personal request as I don’t do scary movies nor pictures.

As for the OP I have heard of this game before and have read warnings from authorities in different countries regarding this game.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Wow.
What a horrible stance to take. These are kids ffs. I agree that they should really know better and avoid something like this, but I don't agree with people calling them "morons" and I definitely don't think this is a "game" many more people should play.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
Why isn't the person who developed this being charged? Someone remind me?

This is just like “Blue whale challenge”. In that game it is hackers that dig up info about you and use it against you in order to get you to go through with the challenges that start small then turn into self destructive activities. Like cutting then onto self amputation then ending in death.

Blue whale wiki

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join