It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Office temperature.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Haha, we have fun here.

Unfortunately politics, especially in the US has become more of reality television programming.

Issues are rarely debated in a productive way, rather opponents figure out ways to shut down the competition or frame them as a horrible person. The candidate who spends (and gets more) money wins 90%~ of the time.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Boadicea

I propose a vote by the genders to see what they both think is ideal.

You just know someone spent pretty pennies already figuring that out...

In general, women feel colder than men do at the same air temperature. They prefer rooms at 77 degrees Fahrenheit, while men prefer 72. Body size and fat-to-muscle ratios are largely to blame for that discrepancy.

Women, There's A Reason Why You're Shivering In The Office

One hour of ideal temperature for women, next hour ideal temperature for men. They alternate each hour on the hour.

Well, that would be fair, I guess, but not especially practical. I prefer splitting the difference, then both are equally uncomfortable! So I guess 74.5° would be the magic number...

This is also a great technique for rooting out those who are susceptibile to pneumonia. Survival of the fittest in the workplace.

Um... okay... I guess. I've never heard that feeling cold causes pneumonia, and it seems to me that under these circumstances, it would just be women targeted. But I guess we could also find out which men are susceptible to heat stroke by increasing temps. So, it would all even out in the end. But I hope we never do so and never find out.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Well, that would be fair, I guess, but not especially practical. I prefer splitting the difference, then both are equally uncomfortable! So I guess 74.5° would be the magic number...

All joking aside, I don't know if that would work.

My time in office environments have shown me many women come to work in a sleeveless blouse and a skirt, or dress that does not fully cover legs.

Whereas my dress code was usually slacks and a button up shirt. I'm pretty fit, but still weight about 210lbs, so I sweat at anything above 73 if I'm moving around in the slightest.

I've always had a gripe that women want to turn up the temp so they can be comfortable in their summer attire while I'm forced to wear fully covering clothing.

This isn't always the case, just expressing that maybe the thermostat isn't the only variable.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Brywilson2

But, my point is, why are they wasting time on this instead of things like jobs, economy, etc.?

I think you'd have to ask Cuomo that, since he's the one insisting on frigid temps!

But, as the link I posted above shows, men and women do in fact react differently to the same temps, based on muscle vs. fat ratios. So it is known and documented that women feel cold at temps men feel comfortable, and men feel warm at temps women find comfortable. And I'd bet dollars to donuts that Cuomo knows that.

In fact, messing with the senses -- either sensory overload or sensory deprivation -- is a well known neuro-linguistic programming technique.

So, to answer your question, my best guess is that Cuomo's purpose in demanding low temps is to AVOID any reasonable and thoughtful discussion on those very issues -- jobs, economy, etc.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

All joking aside, I don't know if that would work.

My time in office environments have shown me many women come to work in a sleeveless blouse and a skirt, or dress that does not fully cover legs.

Whereas my dress code was usually slacks and a button up shirt. I'm pretty fit, but still weight about 210lbs, so I sweat at anything above 73 if I'm moving around in the slightest.

I've always had a gripe that women want to turn up the temp so they can be comfortable in their summer attire while I'm forced to wear fully covering clothing.

I would add that dress codes don't help the issue... too often, too impractical!

But to that extent, it is much more practical for women to dress in layers inside and be able to remove those extra layers when going outside, then for men to strip down to cool off. So it is a pain in the butt for women, but they do have better options than men.

This isn't always the case, just expressing that maybe the thermostat isn't the only variable.

Well, I think you may be presuming too much in general. Women want to dress for the weather... and not have to overdress for the office.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Tell the sociopaths in charge to not require me to wear long pants to work and I'll allow another few degrees.

At home is 65 and I'm wearing shorts, nothing else. At work it's 74 and I'm expected to be productive wearing long pants and a fancy shirt?

Air conditioning isn't sexist, office buildings just aren't designed or run for humans to be comfortable in. Ridiculous obsession with appearances has broken society.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Stupid article.

The reason it's more practical for women to make the adjustment to office temperature (IF it actually is the woman who complains) is because you can easily add layers if you are cold. If it's too hot, there is only so much clothing one can remove without getting fired.

I'm a woman who has always been on the warm side, so I often like the temperature even cooler than the men in the office.

How hard is it to bring a sweater or jacket with you?!

The manager at my office is a woman and she likes it damn tropical. Instead of her bringing a sweater which could be easily and quickly slipped on, those of us who don't prefer working in a rainforest jungle spend time before work schlepping giant box fans into our studios and getting them rigged up and battening down all our papers with whatever we can find so that they don't fly all over the place.

Just pack a damn jacket.

edit on 30-8-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Well, I think you may be presuming too much in general. Women want to dress for the weather... and not have to overdress for the office.

Again, I said that isn't always the case or even a variable, just something to consider.

But most offices require men overdress anyways regardless of weather, so in some instances I don't see how it's too much to ask that women keep a light sweater at the office for when they get cold. If men are going to be required to wear long sleeve button up shirts (which most wear an undershirt with), and slacks, than I don't see how saying maybe 72 F would be a reasonable accommodation in those parameters.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TrueBrit
...if the temperature is above 18 degrees C (you know...

No, I don't know. What is that in normal person temperature?

If you add some random "U"s in those words he might better understand the question.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

But most offices require men overdress anyways regardless of weather...

No argument here. Not to repeat myself, but too often the dress codes are a big part of the problem.

...so in some instances I don't see how it's too much to ask that women keep a light sweater at the office for when they get cold. If men are going to be required to wear long sleeve button up shirts (which most wear an undershirt with), and slacks, than I don't see how saying maybe 72 F would be a reasonable accommodation in those parameters.

Again, not to repeat myself, but I agree. Under these circumstances, it is more practical for women to dress in layers in the office and remove layers to go outside. Men don't have any real options.

Unless and until dress codes change.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Jesus Christ!!!! Are non of you married? Just wait for your wives to go "through the change". It can be minus 10 yet still they will be too hot. Throw the quilts off the bed etc. Wait till you wake up halfway through the night freezing your goolies off, throw the quilt back over you and accidently cover her with a little corner of it. Be prepared for WW3.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I've worked in offices and factory floors for nearly 30 years and one thing I can tell you with absolute certainty. Women are impossible to make and or keep happy.
Never, ever allow a women to control the thermostat. They will wear the dial out turning it up and down ten times a day.

The one other thing I am sure of is that it's much easier to warm up than cool down. Keep the temp on the low side.

Ya this...my girlfriend's workplace is mostly women, the thermostat is one of those things that can make her whole office tear eachother to pieces. Especially when it's that week....

My work's just either a #in humid jungle in summer or a freezing wet icebox in winter. We do have a fan though...I don't like to use it because it's covered in dust and sometimes just randomly stops and starts...oh and one time smoke.was coming out of it. I also have a small door I can open for airflow.
We do have a couple overhead heaters for winter but they mostly just warm up the area directly beneath them.
edit on 30/8/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Hahaha - been like that in my bed for about 12 months now. Only problem being, when she strips everything off and I make an amorous move towards her she threatens to smash me because I'm "too warm"

A guy can't win.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

So it is a pain in the butt for women, but they do have better options

Why do the women always get the ventilation shaft

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

The colder the better. And thin cotton shirts should be the mandatory work uniform.

Trading one for the other! Auggie, you need Unconscious Sexist Bias training.

But your suggestion will be considered

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The colder the better.

THIS. THIS RIGHT HERE. THIS GUY GETS IT.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Oh good lord.

Yes, my husband likes it colder. Yes, I like it warmer. Long ago, we determined this. He's an eskimo, and I'm a lizard.

We compromised and decided to save money while we're at it.

In the summer, I decide when the air goes on which means we're warm most of the time and between 75 and 80 degrees. In the winter, he decides when the heat goes on which means we're cold and most of the time in the 60s. We cheerfully talk about making each other suffer, but it works and our bills are lower.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Hmmm I just thought of something related somewhat...can a trans or gender re-assignment come up with a way for a man to go through "the change"?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88. I liked the story about the workplace where employees constantly complained about hot or cold, so the exasperated manager had a technician install a thermostat in everyone's office for them to regulate as the wish. Within the week the office was humming with happy workers. When the boss asked the manager how the hvac system could handle so many controllers, he drolly mentioned that none of the thermostats were connected to the system.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

20 C is considered room temperature, 26 C is the temperature that clothing needs to be shed or shortened and 37.4 C is the internal temperature of humans. 100 C is when water boils.

16C is the minimum temperature for the UK, 21 to 22C is the recommended "comfortable temperature", and 24C above is starting to get a bit warm.

Just about every office I've been in has been in these ranges. The only exception was a south facing sky bridge with frosted windows and white walls. That corridor was so hot that staff had actually put cactus plants along the deep window ledges. Going through that corridor was like travelling across the desert in a Western movie.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join