It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: U.N. Campaign Seeks Registration of All Births

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Archbishop Desmond Tutu, A South African Nobel Peace Prize Winner, is campaigning to register and record the birth of every child on Earth. Apparantly an approximately 50 million children born every year do not undergo registration, and presumably are non-existant. In 1989, The United Nations imposed an obligation on all countries in the world to register every child after birth. Every country in the world has ratified this convention with the exception of Somalia, and the United states of America. Not being registered could prevent children from the rights of citizenship such as health care and education. Being an unregistered child also runs a higher risk of falling into the world of slavery and forced prostitution.

story.news.yahoo.com
The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child in 1989 imposed an obligation on countries to register every child immediately after birth. Sixteen years later, every country in the world has ratified the convention except the United States and Somalia.

"It is, in a very real sense, a matter of life and death," the South African Nobel Peace Prize winner said. "The unregistered child is a nonentity. The unregistered child does not exist. How can we live with the knowledge that we could have made a difference?"

But according to the latest UNICEF figures, over 48 million births each year — 36 percent of births worldwide — are not registered, the vast majority in developing countries.

Plan, the British aid agency, released a 50-page report titled "Universal Birth Registration — a Universal Responsibility" to coincide with the campaign, which is backed by UNICEF. The British agency said it is impossible to know how many unregistered children there are because they cannot be counted, but best estimates put the number at more than 500 million.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My first reaction to this is, of course we would want every person born to be entitled to the rights they deserve in their native country. Lets not forget that being someone who technically does not exist makes it easier for criminals to kidnap children and force them into slavery or child prostitution, a dire life no human being should ever have to go through. Upon further analysis however you have to wonder, maybe there are people in this world that do not want to live by some crazy societies' set of rules.

There are still large numbers of tribes and societies that live off the grid and away from the globalized world. Many African tribes in the desert and tropical regions of Africa, and Indian tribes in the Amazon of South America are examples of this. Do we as citizens of the Industrial world have a right, or even the means, to put on record every human being on Earth, including those who choose to isolate themselves from the hassles of a modern world and prefer to live a simple life? I think not.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Good find. Balanced analysis. Thanks. (bump)

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Typical UN butting into crap thats none of its friggin biz. And so very NWOish. With a world database of every person born, its just that much easier to track, tag, and catalogue and control people.

I am pleased the United States hasnt ratified this most intrusive and morally questionable piece of legislation. I believe it is the right of people in any country to remain out of the system. As one comdeian once said, something to the effect of " How ridiculous is it that I need a piece of paper proving I was born?"

This crap about benefits of citizenship is a scare tactic to make people believe that somehow, being registered, recorded and tagged will make life so much better. Its similar to garbage like microchip implants, smallpox vaccinations, national ID cards, spy cams, ect.

The UN needs to piss off and go find something better to do then telling countries to submit to their nosy, intrusive regulations.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
and flu shots that don't work, everyone I know who got a flu shot was sick all winter.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A common misunderstanding about the flu shot. See a common side effect of getting a flu shot is catching a cold, it is not however the flu. There is a difference in that the flu makes you alot mroe miserable than a common cold.

Back on topic, I dont believe any of us would have our rights or even be in our current lives had our birth not been recorded. I for one wish I would be able to dissapear from the grid, my life goal is to be able to fully own a land not taxable and just mind my own busines with my significant oher. Of course there is the issue of raising the child being in the middle of nowhere. It doesnt matter though this goal of recording eveyr birth will never be achieved anyways unless we start implanting every newborn starting now with a chip. That way we would know where they were while giving birth and then chip their children. That kind of thing would take generations to achieve however.

new topics

top topics

join