It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In closed-door meeting, Trump told Christian leaders he got rid of a law, but He didn't.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
From the article: In a closed-door meeting with evangelical leaders Monday night, President Donald Trump repeated his debunked claim that he had gotten "rid of" a law forbidding churches and charitable organizations from endorsing political candidates, according to recorded excerpts reviewed by NBC News.

In fact, the law remains on the books, after efforts to kill it in Congress last year failed.

www.nbcnews.com...

Evidently Trump is feeding false information to the good people who lead these Churches, which will inevitably cause them to lose their tax exempt status as charitable organizations.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: HunkaHunka

They like being lied to. Obviously.

I guess.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
They like being lied to. Obviously.

I guess.

They do it to their parishioners so I guess it's fair play.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

#MAGA

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

The Vatican never asked if they can.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
the law's never enforced anyway

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Really, Trump claims he has done something that he didn't!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Really. And a whole page of justification for why it is ok for the President of the United States to lie to the American people.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Liberal media, take with a grain of salt.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Back in the mid 1990's I used to listen to the church leaders push legislation and leaders from the pulpit. Last time I was in church was around 2012. Same thing.

I hope his words take the Evangelicals tax exempt status away. I have been a musician through most Christian denominations and beyond.
The Evangelicals are the most commercial leaning, and biased against other religions I have ever had the displeasure to work for.

As a musician, the band was good, and the paycheck made up for dealing with the hypocrisy. At least I could hold onto the belief my music was supporting the normal folk in their worship.
As always it's the bureaucracy I have issue with.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

They paid you to play in the band, that's strange around here

Yes it's pretty sad the churches are becoming political, Jesus and the apostles were never political

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Realistically, it sounds as though he was relying on imperfect memory.
That is, he remembers the process starting, and did not think to check whether it had been carried through to completion.
Carelessness rather than outright conscious lying.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Liberal media, take with a grain of salt.

Surely criticism is only going to come from Liberal Media. The Conservative media is hardly going to say anything bad about their Great Leader. Of course that's only half the story in the Two Party system you guys have over there.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

It is when you support Republicans, just not Democrats. The Democrats are the ones who initiate the lawsuits in these situations and as long as you are supporting their guy they are fine with it. They don't actually think it's wrong, they just see it as a weapon to use against Republicans.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

NBC,CNN,since when did they start telling the truth?is this the new norm now? not using your head,sounds like liberal BS like trying to impeach,stupid attracts stupid

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

NBC is how deceitful media works. Let's look at the transcript of what was really said and the context of which it was used...

We’re here this evening to celebrate America’s heritage of faith, family, and freedom. As you know, in recent years, the government tried to undermine religious freedom. But the attacks on communities of faith are over. We’ve ended it. We’ve ended it. (Applause.) Unlike some before us, we are protecting your religious liberty.

In the last 18 months alone, we have stopped the Johnson Amendment from interfering with your First Amendment rights. (Applause.) A big deal. It’s a big deal.

www.whitehouse.gov...

As we know, the government was attacking such communities through the IRS, and while NBC claims that only one group was audited, MANY of them were harassed with letters from the IRS. One pastor even received a letter from the IRS asking for the content of his upcoming sermons. NBC can deny it all they want, but it happened under Obama.

The Madison, Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) also wants the IRS to act. But they believe churches and pastors should be barred from taking sides in elections, and the IRS is shirking its duty to investigate churches.

The group sued the IRS in 2012to force the IRS into action. That suit was recently settled, after the IRS adopted new rules for investigating churches.

factsandtrends.net...

edit on 29-8-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I think you are absolutely right, Disraeli. If Trump can be accused of anything, it's saying something he is not absolutely sure about. He remembered the start of getting rid of the law and wasn't clear on the outcome.

I have never seen anything like this in my entire life. The propaganda machine twisting everything in the worst sort of way. Trump has made it possible for us to see clearly, how we are being indoctrinated by biased media coverage.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
He does not have the power to get rid of a law. He does however have the power to not enforce the law. In this case he told the IRS they can no longer fine churches for political speech.

Since its an executive order of course the next president could change it but for now churches are safe to discuss politics without being fined by the IRS

My problem with it he claims he's the law and order president. And has used the excuse that he must follow the law in things such as immigration. However it appears he lies since in other situations he's obviously feels he can break the rules.
edit on 8/29/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Evidently Trump is feeding false information to the good people who lead these Churches, which will inevitably cause them to lose their tax exempt status as charitable organizations.

Thank God... (pun intended) When TheChurch™ got out of the charity game is when they should've started paying taxes. Now TheChurch™ enjoys TaxFree Status while the Gov't. provides the charity.

God doesn't need $$$ nor does She need anyone working for Her...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join