It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't 'google it' 'duck it'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Ok I have long been against google, basically since it became too big and started to monopolise the web.

I propose we use duckduckgo or any other alternative - i like ddg because we can all get behind 'duckit' surely? Or just search it but please stop saying gword it.

"Duck It" has such a nice ring to it don't you think.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Agreed. Everyone's complaining about how much power Google has. Well? Don't give it to them. Same with YouTube. Duck it all
edit on 27-8-2018 by Starhooker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Starhooker

In what way is DuckDuckGo an alternative to YouTube?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Starhooker

Exactly we the consumers really have all the power and could easily call the shots - we dont like what your company does so we will stop using it till you behave.

Like with sporting franchises around the world - all the fans complain about the prices for tickets and merchandise - so dont buy it. Imagine if all the fans of team 'x' said we will no longer be buying match tickets and strips till you drop your prices to reasonable levels and dont bring out a new strip more than every 'x' yrs 3-5 maybe. One home game with an empty stadium would send shock waves around the sports world.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

So basically, you want to take away the monopoly google has over the net, by giving it to duckduckgo?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

While I've tried DDG, Google is simply a superior engine. It gives me much better responses to my questions and links me what I want.

There is a reason people use google. I'd use other engines if they worked as well.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Duck is what my phone uses when it auto corrects me when I’m trying to use the F word. I thought that’s where this thread was going.

edit on 27-8-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

If duck started behaving like google then i would be against them and i use duck as they seem a lot less invasive and basically 'duck it' rhymes with another oft used phrase so could catch on due to that familiarity and it makes me smile.

I am aware of the potential but lets be honest my little thread here is unlikely to be the butterfly that causes the fall of the power of big business starting with google.

I would be ecstatically happy however if this was the catalyst that made everybody realise that it is us the 'useless eaters' who actually have complete power over them by choosing whether to give them our money or not.

See the sports team analogy above which can be applied to any company or indeed industry. If people are prepared to do without things they like for a short period of time we could heavily influence the direction big business takes but this is just a utopian dream as most of us do indeed seem to be 'useless eaters' or more interested in bettering ourself at the cost of others rather than bettering ourself and those around us.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

fair enough, each to their own but i don't like to use a company if i don't agree with the way it runs it business which is a pain in the ass because i loved a lot of nestle products. Yorkie, Munchies, Kit kat and some of their coffees for instance
I'm not saying use ddg just the phrase to reinforce there are alternatives and google needn't be the default. I would imagine most searches performed on google would turn up pretty much the same results whatever engine was used when getting into more specific niche searches performed by far fewer users then it may outperform others

edit to add: i am aware of my hypocrisy in regards to running windows and if i cant get my head round linux or some other equivalent then i need to go offline or continue my hypocrisy. In fact the more i think of it the harder it becomes and ironically i dont have the money to go off grid unless i go somewhere i dont speak the language, lack basic knowledge of flora and fauna etc

So i guess its how much hyprocisy can we all deal with/ ignore - ah cognitive dissonance ......
edit on 27-8-2018 by johnb because: ^

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Don´t "duck it" but Startpage it.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Tried ddg and startpage... not for me, I'm aware of googles privacy policy , but their search results
are way better than either of the two so called "privacy " engines.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

They have a good hockey team down in Anaheim.

They also make some good tape as well.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueShaman

It doesn't. Just pointing out that they too have a monopoly that people complain about. But they're the ones who gave it to them and then complain about their free speech being stifled.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Cut "Them" out totally, head to The Library of Alexandria and look up each item.... hahahaha

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Duckit! I like it. I use that search engine when i can't find what i want on Ggle.

Their suggestions in the search text-box can be quite different than ggles too, which is interesting.
Ie. Type "Trump is" into each search engine and have a gander at the suggestions from each.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

The jazz made me do it!

Thanks

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I agree with the premise but:

Google is still the superior search engine and may need to be used for very specific searches.

THis simply makes your ISP the more prominent keeper of your information so its still going to be located to one account or another at least for convenient home use

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
been using ddg for over a year now. Sure it is not as good as google but it is satisfactory for my needs. offtopic, i also use a tracking blocker addon (privacy badger) and it always blocks 1 or 2 trackers on a webpage but at ats it is always blocking upto 16 things lol.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
DuckDuckGo always sounded like a combat strategy to me.. 😂

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
Ok I have long been against google, basically since it became too big and started to monopolise the web.

I propose we use duckduckgo or any other alternative - i like ddg because we can all get behind 'duckit' surely? Or just search it but please stop saying gword it.

"Duck It" has such a nice ring to it don't you think.

Great advice
Disconnect from Google, facebook, twitter, apple and other invasive tech companies

Startpage.com and duck duck go are great alternatives

TOR + VPN is also a great alternative

top topics

<<   2 >>

join