It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US and Mexico are closing in on a NAFTA deal, as talks resume on Monday

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Link

U.S. and Mexican trade negotiators are close to squaring away bilateral differences on the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and will resume talks on Monday morning, Mexican Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo said on Sunday.

"We've continued making progress," Guajardo said. The Mexico-U.S. discussions have focused on crafting new rules for the automotive industry, which U.S. President Donald Trump has put at the heart of his drive to rework the 24-year-old pact he says has been a "disaster" for American workers.

Well look at that, a Trade Deal? I thought people said Trump could never get NAFTA reworked.

It's not a done deal, but the pieces are falling into place. Slowly but steadily, the Trump Administration is reworking our Economic Policies to be more beneficial to America.

So is NAFTA being negotiated a good thing, ATS?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Looks like the stock market is loving the news.
WINNING!
Canada NEXT.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Link

U.S. and Mexican trade negotiators are close to squaring away bilateral differences on the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and will resume talks on Monday morning, Mexican Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo said on Sunday.

"We've continued making progress," Guajardo said. The Mexico-U.S. discussions have focused on crafting new rules for the automotive industry, which U.S. President Donald Trump has put at the heart of his drive to rework the 24-year-old pact he says has been a "disaster" for American workers.

Well look at that, a Trade Deal? I thought people said Trump could never get NAFTA reworked.

It's not a done deal, but the pieces are falling into place. Slowly but steadily, the Trump Administration is reworking our Economic Policies to be more beneficial to America.

We would have to see the specific details to know whether this is a good deal or not, or whether Trump did us any good.

I'll save my accolades and criticisms until then.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

WINNING!
Canada NEXT.

Can you show how the rise in the market today is due to them "loving the news"?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Link

We would have to see the specific details to know whether this is a good deal or not, or whether Trump did us any good.

I'll save my accolades and criticisms until then.

You might get to see that as soon as Today. It will take till the end of the year probably to finalize as Congress needs 90 Days to review.

Was NAFTA in need of renegotiation introvert?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

You might get to see that as soon as Today. It will take till the end of the year probably to finalize as Congress needs 90 Days to review.

Don't they also have to talk to Canada about the specifics before they can do much at all?

Was NAFTA in need of renegotiation introvert?

Yes, but on a wide range of issues. This "negotiation" seems to only address the auto industry for the most part.

What about the rest of it?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

WINNING!
Canada NEXT.

Nasdaq hits 8,000 for the first time as US and Mexico move closer to striking NAFTA deal

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

WINNING!
Canada NEXT.

Nasdaq hits 8,000 for the first time as US and Mexico move closer to striking NAFTA deal

Interesting.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Don't they also have to talk to Canada about the specifics before they can do much at all?

Yes, but on a wide range of issues. This "negotiation" seems to only address the auto industry for the most part.

What about the rest of it?

Per the Article:

Canada has sat out the most recent phase of the year-long discussions, and once it rejoined the talks, the three sides would need to work for at least another week, Guajardo said.

"Once the bilateral issues get resolved, Canada will be joining the talks to work on both bilateral issues and our trilateral issues," Chrystia Freeland, Canada's foreign minister, said Friday. "And will be happy to do that, once the bilateral US-Mexico issues have been resolved."

Yes the negotiations have been about Automobiles and such, that seems to be the big area of focus of the Trump Admin.

You are right, the devil is in the details, but overall the new NAFTA should be better from an American view, than the previous agreement.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is from an article 6 months Ago: This seemed to be the stumbling block that people didn't think would get solved.

Under NAFTA, at least 62.5 percent of the net cost of a passenger car or light truck must originate in the region to avoid tariffs. Trump wants the threshold raised to 85 percent.

Ranging from calls for major changes to automotive content rules and dispute resolution mechanisms, to imposing a clause that could automatically kill NAFTA after five years, the chief stumbling blocks laid by the White House look unlikely to be removed in the latest Mexico City round, officials said.

This is the proposed Deal as of today:

Industry sources say they are close to agreeing on raising the regional automotive content threshold for tariff-free access under NAFTA to around 75 percent from 62.5 percent.

Looks like Trump won that battle as it is being raised 12.5%.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Yup. They still have to talk to Canada.

You are right, the devil is in the details, but overall the new NAFTA should be better from an American view, than the previous agreement.

I do not care if it "should" be better. I want to know the details so I can know for certain whether it is or not.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

It looks as though they are also trying to enact a minimum wage standard as well, raising it to $16 or so.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

WINNING!

Are we there yet?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

It looks as though they are also trying to enact a minimum wage standard as well, raising it to $16 or so.

Fine. As long as Mexican Companies have to pay that to their employees as well. That benefits everyone involved. Less incentive to leave their Country.

It's not going to be a perfect deal, hopefully just better than the previous.

The new President of Mexico has a very ambitious agenda set, he will need the US's help to hit those lofty goals.he is only in office for 6 years so he needs to hit the ground running Dec. 1st.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Yup. They still have to talk to Canada.

I do not care if it "should" be better. I want to know the details so I can know for certain whether it is or not.

Look at you....all impatient to see a new Trump Trade deal?

Wonders never cease.

Like I've said Congress will have 90 days to review by law.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I just listened to Trump and the Mexican President on the phone together.

This is a conspiracy. That wasn't the real Mexican President. It was a paid actor.

heh.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
MSM scrambling to change the talking points.

The Autumn Witch of November is coming !!!

🤜💥🤛

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Fine. As long as Mexican Companies have to pay that to their employees as well. That benefits everyone involved. Less incentive to leave their Country.

That was just for US companies and I'm not sure if any wage deals were made for Mexican workers. Also, the US companies are looking to hike those wages to meet specific percentages they are required to meet, according to reports.

In those percentages, they get to include wages from R and D and others areas, so the wage thing may be just a bit of a ruse.

Look at you....all impatient to see a new Trump Trade deal? Wonders never cease. Like I've said Congress will have 90 days to review by law.

Nothing I said would indicate my level of patience. Not sure how you even interpreted it that way, when all I said what that I want to know the details before I can say anything for certain.

That's actually showing patience for the deal to be set, before I pass judgement.

So I'm not sure how the hell you came up with what you did.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Lighten up, will ya? I'm just having a little fun with you.

Soon we will have details and you will be able to find things you don't like about the deal, Ok?

At least you admitted that NAFTA needed some adjustments.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

a reply to: introvert

Lighten up, will ya? I'm just having a little fun with you.

Soon we will have details and you will be able to find things you don't like about the deal, Ok?

At least you admitted that NAFTA needed some adjustments.

It does need adjustment.

It needs to be scrapped and Mexico and Canada just need to become part of the US.

Open the border and let all of the naysayers screech from the safety of their Tea Party-approved rascal scooters.

That is what will eventually happen, I suspect, but right now we're too busy playing numbers games, if the details I have seen so far are true, and clutch-the-pearls over the border.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join