It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stretching and strengthening.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
My doctors told me that it would take a couple of years to recuperate after my transplant last summer. Well it's not going as fast as I would like. My body just doesn't do what I want it to. I tore a stomach muscle 3 months ago picking up my grandson. That is just now down to a mild throb later in the day. I also have a torn muscle or tendon in my right shoulder that I've been able to work to getting perpendicular motion after 5 months. My upper body is stiff. My legs don't matter. They're doing what I want. Basically just carrying me around. I'm not going to be playing soccer or anything.

I want to have more flexibility but not to harm my body further by strengthening, although more strength would be good. I could Google this but that's all theory. I'm looking for practice. Some that have had positive experience with this. We have a knowledgeable crowd here so I hope I can find what I'm looking for. So help please.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yoga. Trust me.

Find a welcoming and down to earth yoga studio and explain your situation, they will take you step by step.
Or you can do what I did, I just found some youtube channels focused on yoga and followed them, made it a daily routine, all you need is you, some comfy clothes, and if you want a yoga mat. I just used my carpet.

I'm a structural welder and I need to maintain same positions that transition into slow but controlled movements. Two years ago I tore a shoulder muscle and I couldn't stop working, I made it worse, and worse, did some research and found a video of a war vet who basically lost his ability to walk for years and years, but used yoga to rehabilitate his issue, and he was in his 40's. He worked at it and now he's running half marathons. I'll try and find his story.

But look into it!

Also, after about a month my shoulder got much better, and I was able to lay my hands flat on the ground in front of me.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Agree with the above poster: Yoga would be the most beneficial to you. It's scope goes beyond stretching and beyond strengthening.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It’s this guy, Arthur. Pretty amazing transformation.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Might want to try swimming.

Low impact, easy to transition into.

And you can eye babes in bikini's.

Feel better old man!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Swimming would be good but I don't have the motion in my shoulder for it. It would be sinking, not swimming.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Might want to try swimming.

Low impact, easy to transition into.

And you can eye babes in bikini's.

Feel better old man!

I agree with this. Now, underwater yoga with babes in bikinis would really seal the deal.

I don't much experience with Yoga, I do have experience with weight training. I swear by it. Be it with weights or calisthenics.

Start with 5lb dumbbells and bodyweight. I think a combo of weight training and yoga would be super beneficial. And for snips and giggles, through in some heavy bag work. Great work out with practical applications.

In your sense, dead lifts will help you lift grandkids off the floor. And weight training can be done in 20 mins a day. Not at all time consuming.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I second the idea for DDP Yoga....its yoga on steroids!!
I have seen it do some good things for people.

1 friend can touch his toes and tie his shoelaces after years of being messed up from back surgery.
Now he can abuse his body a bit more for a few more years!!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
My doctors told me that it would take a couple of years to recuperate after my transplant last summer. Well it's not going as fast as I would like. My body just doesn't do what I want it to. I tore a stomach muscle 3 months ago picking up my grandson. That is just now down to a mild throb later in the day. I also have a torn muscle or tendon in my right shoulder that I've been able to work to getting perpendicular motion after 5 months. My upper body is stiff. My legs don't matter. They're doing what I want. Basically just carrying me around. I'm not going to be playing soccer or anything.

I want to have more flexibility but not to harm my body further by strengthening, although more strength would be good. I could Google this but that's all theory. I'm looking for practice. Some that have had positive experience with this. We have a knowledgeable crowd here so I hope I can find what I'm looking for. So help please.

Great Expectations is more than a classic novel....your age, medical history, family history, activity level...deduct points for each.

Don't know the particulars...but a TRANSPLANT of any kind and your age and general health are factors in just keeping you alive!

Don't expect too much....my clue was when you said "my body just doesn't do what I WANT it to".

You're still here...if you have a grandson you're not a young-young person...so? Be greatful for that, dont expect a full recovery...just to be the best you can as a transplant success at whatever age you are...you can't get everything back 100%...even just based on age.

I hope you get close tho! But, don't expect unreasonable assumptions...you got a couple negatives to that....if only age.

Best, MS
EMT/Advanced Life Support

edit on 26-8-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

PS....your op used about 13 "I's" and "I'm"...indicative of what YOU want...as opposed to what you can EXPECT!

Just sayin'!!!! Best again!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

i was going to say the same
do some light yoga man'

i started a year or so ago. do it all the time now.

there are lots of good videos free on youtube

spend 10 bucks on a mat. all you need

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Yes that's the one!

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: DBCowboy

Swimming would be good but I don't have the motion in my shoulder for it. It would be sinking, not swimming.

Low impact exercises in the shallow end.

I'll bet a community pool near you already has classes.

Give 'em a call.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Yoga !! ... Will help a lot in flexibility and strengthening .... You can join a beginner class or hire a private instructor , or buy a video .....

low impact pool exercises . The water helps take the pressure off joints while building muscle and some mild cardio . You can google low impact pool exercises for a list of shallow end exercises . You will need a pool noodle ... Can be found at most walmarts, walgreens, cvs , Amazon ....

And last not but not least .... When I injured my back , my osteopath told me to buy an instructional dvd video on Tai Chi and do it every few days , working up to everyday . The slow flow of movement will help with injuries and flexibility !!'

And my final advice is .... Because you are injured you may want to think about hiring an instructor in any of these exercises ,for one on one classes. they should understand injures and help you to grow and not injure yourself more by poor form ,or posture ,while Doing these exercises .....form
Is everything !!!

If you can not afford an instructor or DVDs .... Look at your TV channels in your cable package . Some cable packages have exercise or fitness Chanel's . We have comcast - xfinity for cable provider and they have Chanel's under fitness - exercise . You can scroll through them and pick a beginner 15 minute one to start . There's lots of types to pick from . ...

And yes .... Always stretch before and after any work Out .you need to stay limber and break up the lactose acid that built up in muscles .
edit on 26-8-2018 by Meldionne1 because: Spell check issue

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Restorative yoga...

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

This is one of your posts that a star was not enough...
These are for you

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I'd agree with yoga, swimming and Tai Chi as well

MS

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This video is pure gold:

Also good: (mainly upper body strengthening and rehabbing)

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I tried a tai chi class once and I wasn’t comfortable in the class. I was the only man and I just couldn’t remember all the movements as that is not my strong suit. I would imagine yoga would be a similar experience for me.

I prefer one on one with a personal trainer and that has worked out the best for me. She also comes to my home so that makes it more convenient.
edit on 2018/8/26 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Thanks guys. I knew you'd have answers.
We've got 25 rec centers in this city. The one 10 minutes away offers an activity that does:

Take some time to stretch and relax in a class that integrates various movements from Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, breathing and relaxation exercises.

Sounds perfect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join