It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Tomato

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
business.financialpost.com...

Canadian Tomatoes Most greenhouses in Canada grow tomatoes from Dutch hybrid seeds. Five years ago, Vineland began Ontario's first greenhouse tomato breeding program. The 10-year goal: to produce a Canadian TOV — or tomato on the vine — that has high yield and good flavour. ... This year, he planted 75 hybrids in the greenhouse. Hunger for tomatoes turns Canada into greenhouse superpower ... Financial Post

I had no idea.

They recently showed up at a local grocery store in texas.

Just a first for me.

Have you ever had a Canadian tomato?

edit on 25-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
We have a lot of the dutch ones, here in Germany.

While they tasted like water with skin for decades, they started to add tomatoe taste lately.

edit on 25 8 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Straight from the garden, they're delicious. Toss a little salt on it and it's a whole new treat lol

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Nothing against Canada, or Canadian tomatoes, but to me any greenhouse (hothouse) tomato tastes like nothing (from US, Canada or anywhere else).

Tomatoes need real sunshine, natural soil and both hot as well as cold to generate character and flavor. I'll take vine ripened tomatoes any day.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I have found that the pebble fertilizer you get at the feed store is the best for them. Indoor or outdoor it gives them a certain acidic quality that one can not get from other fertilizers. Even those expensive ones for special growing lack the flavor in the end. The local feed store that sells the 50lb sack is the best kind i have found. I have used all types from specialized hydro fertilizers to various types of poo.

top topics

join