It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bewitched is coming back and Samantha is coming back black

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   
heeeeeeeyyyyy

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The new version of the sitcom will feature an African-American Samantha.

n the update of the comedy, which starred Elizabeth Montgomery and originally aired on ABC from 1964 to 1972, the character of Samantha will be a hardworking African-American single mother who is also a witch. She marries Darren, a white mortal who is “a bit of a slacker,” Deadline reported.

you think Samantha is gonna practice that, wait for it....... Black Magic???

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I believe that's called African American magic, thank you!

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   
They won't be happy till they've ruined every show that was ever worth a damn.
First Ghostbusters and now this.
ffs.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Why is this not considered cultural appropriation?

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Oh boy, now I'm racist for thinking it's dumb to make every beloved character black..

Bad Jefferton. Bad!

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Most people would decide whether or not they like a show by first viewing it. Seems that you've already made up your mind that the show will suck. Based on what though?

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
a reply to: DAVID64

Most people would decide whether or not they like a show by first viewing it. Seems that you've already made up your mind that the show will suck. Based on what though?

Because all these remakes and reboots suck.

God forbid they come up with something original.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Sounds fun. I'm also looking forward to the Asian version of The Jeffersons, Hispanic version of Sanford & Son and the BBC's all white version of Good Times.

All kidding aside, I won't watch it. There is only one Samantha Stephens...and two Darrins? Lucky lady!

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I think a fun experiment would be to make Sanford and son with an all white cast.

I would like to see what kind of outrage we would see. I have a feeling it would be the end of the world. Calls to boycott.

You would see those cries

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

You had the same idea

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Who cares. I probably won’t watch it. All those sit coms in the 60’s were so goofy. I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan’s Island, Beverly Hillbillies, Bewitched — they all had such goofy premises. The only reason I liked them back then was because I was a kid. As an adult, I can’t imagine actually enjoying them. I know my parents didn’t watch them.

One thing to notice from all those shows though — where were the black people? It’s like black people didn’t exist in the 60’s. I thought they did exist? Maybe I was mistaken.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

That they hired based on skin color instead of talent

Because you cannot play a color. You cannot grow a character if that character major role is color

Plus it sounds like this show is pushing the stereotype that blackmen don’t take care of their kids....

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

You don’t think there’s such a thing as a talented black actor?

I’ll bet they based the original characters on white people in the 60’s, but you didn’t have a problem back then?

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Black people existed in the 60s but only white America had tv's.
Everyone that ran # was white.

Ole white America definitely couldn't handle black people on tv back then

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

You don’t think there’s such a thing as a talented black actor?

Well there is denzel

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I think a fun experiment would be to make Sanford and son with an all white cast.

I would like to see what kind of outrage we would see. I have a feeling it would be the end of the world. Calls to boycott.

You would see those cries

See: Steptoe and Son.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The only exception was a show called Julia, that starred a black woman. That show was in the late 60’s, just after the civil rights deal. There might have been a few black people with TVs around that time.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   

You seriously need to ask why most shows didn't have black characters in the 60s?

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
$10 anyone who cared the new character is black wasn't going to watch the reboot anyways.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   

You seriously need to ask why most shows didn't have black characters in the 60s?

Well It must be because black people didn’t exist back then. Or in the 50’s either. Leave it to Beaver, Dennis the Menace, I love Lucy (well, at least that one featured a Hispanic person, but only because he was married to the star), Father Knows Best, etc., etc.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join