It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eerie Sky Glow Called 'Steve' Isn't anAurora, Is 'Completely Unknown' to Science

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

This is very peculiar indeed.

A purple-white band of gas, three THOUSAND degrees hotter than the gases around it? That temperature is INSANE! You can melt steel with roughly half of that temperature! Incredible!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
You are confusing heat with temperature.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ah... am I getting my terminology all round my neck?

Please, good sir, explain my misstep?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Heat is a measure of the kinetic energy of a particle. Temperature is a an average of the kinetic energy of a bunch of particles. One particle, moving very fast, has a lot of heat, but not a lot of temperature.

Or:

We think of space as being "cold", low temperature. Yet, there are particles (solar wind, etc.) that are packing a lot of heat zipping around through it. Lots of heat, but not a lot of temperature.

english-the-easy-way.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I see!

So what we are referring to here is particles that have a bunch of kinetic energy, relative to their surroundings, but are not ACTUALLY hot. See, to my mind, something is only actually hot if it FEELS hot. So, for example, sunlight and a cup of tea are both hot, but am I to assume that this stream of particles would not feel hot to be inside?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   

By George, I think you've got it!

Indeed.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Seriously, who names something this cool, STEVE? WTH?
My brother is just not that cool. LOL

It does seem weird that they have known about this for years, but just "assumed" it was something else. A bit lazy on the scientific communities part isn't it?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

They didn't discover a new organ, they reclassified part of the body that was known to organ-level status. The mesentery was just "stuff" that held the intestines in place and moved body fluids around. But it was discovered that it was a single structure with a purpose, hence its reclassification.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Steve is of course the name of a god in Minecraft or "The god" of minecraft

And of course when you finally make it to the center of the galaxy (purple btw) you meet STEVE...

I will let you extrapolate on if god's name is Steve or not...(he's not my god, but who knows)
edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoWed, 22 Aug 2018 15:03:10 -0500pm3America/Chicago by abeverage because: playing devils advocate

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
pish it is quite clearly one of our space brothers ships going to warp from low earth orbit
geeze dont you lot watch star trek

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There have been reports of sounds with aurora activity. Listening to aurora with radio opened up a new line of investigation as to what is causing things like "whistlers" and the hiss and crackle heard from the ground.

Just saying that radio frequencies are part of the EM spectrum. Both are affected by the magnetic fields.

What if STEVE and ELVS are a plasma trapped or following in the wake of VLF transmissions?? STEVE is sub-polar and seems directional. Kind of makes sense (until Phage shoots it down, of course!) that it is a "could be."

Trying to keep it CT real here!

NASA - Polar Sound Descriptions - VLF Plasma Waves.

PS - IIRC whistlers have been found to be density and speed changes in plasma flow. They have been created in fusion reactors.

PPS - It is "ELVES" and those are caused by thunderstorms (usually) but can be seen if atmospheric conditions are right. BBC - Elves and Earthsky.org - Red Ring (Elve, no thunderstorm).
edit on 22-8-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: correction, add articles and links

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Ah... Steve the ARC... I knew it wasn't an aurora.

I've seen what I thought was Steve myself. 2 days later it was reported in UK. I knew immediately it wasn't an Aurora. It didn't look natural..

It was a light green arc spanning E-W, it was not a solid line. It pulsated and had a formal patterning, almost like some sort of code being sent via light. I have a picture that can help..

I saw something quite similar to this, but without the white and pink lines of 'aurora', above the green segmented 'aurora'. If the green part of the 'aurora' in this pic, followed the curve of the earth, was a more vibrant green and pulsated - that would be a pretty good description of what I saw..

It looked very cool, but it seemed quite strange. And I really got the feeling it was a man made thing, whatever it was that I saw..

I would say there's an 90% chance that Steve is man made..

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Just saying that radio frequencies are part of the EM spectrum. Both are affected by the magnetic fields.
Electromagnetic radiation is not affected by magnetic fields.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

True (otherwise sunlight would not reach the surface of the earth).

But these are charged particles that depending on their charge, are (otherwise we would not see aurora on earth or any other planet).

I guess I am wondering out loud if VLF leaves a wake as it traverses the magnetic field that is in flux. Which would be very weak which is why STEVE is on that side of ROYGBIV.

It was a thought.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

There are ionospheric currents called electrojets. I don't know if they are dependant upon particle precipitation but if not, I would guess that they may be a subject of interest in the mystery of Steve.

edit on 8/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: fluff007

It looked very cool, but it seemed quite strange. And I really got the feeling it was a man made thing, whatever it was that I saw..

I would say there's an 90% chance that Steve is man made..

so is it man-made hence recent, which would explain why no record?
or has Steve been there all along (like the aforementioned Asperatis Cloud), seen but not recognized?

I lack the science nolluj to say. thanks for the technical stuff guys, even though most of it is above me
edit on 22-8-2018 by ElGoobero because: delete pic

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

originally posted by: fluff007

so is it man-made hence recent, which would explain why no record?
or has Steve been there all along (like the aforementioned Asperatis Cloud), seen but not recognized?

I lack the science nolluj to say. thanks for the technical stuff guys, even though most of it is above me

Well there's no 'official' body saying either or. Even in the article they don't really say anything. From the article...

"Based on our results, we assert that STEVE is likely related to an ionospheric process," the researchers wrote in their study, referring to the level of Earth's atmosphere that extends between 50 and 600 miles (80 to 1,000 km) above Earth's surface and sits directly below the planet's magnetic field. More observations taken at different levels of the atmosphere will be required to fully tease out the causes of that mystery of mysteries — good old Steve.

article link

I mean really. The aurora is the result of an ionospheric process... So they are not really saying anything. They've said they know its not an aurora. Thats it..!

Maybe one day we will find out!

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: fluff007

The aurora is the result of an ionospheric process... So they are not really saying anything.

They are saying that Steve is not caused by the same thing that aurora are caused by, which is the precipitation of solar wind particles into the upper atmosphere. Finding out what it isn't is a good step toward finding out what it is.

edit on 8/23/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I bet this is not a new phenomenon, just a newly specified phenomenon. Wasn’t it there all along, and no one thought of labeling that one part of it?

I only saw aurora once, it had small points of light appearing, then suddenly shooting up into tall vertical shafts of light that lingered for a long time.

Later that night, the sky became covered in waves of light that looked just like the ocean.

Anyway it sounds like I saw “Steve” lol.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Nibiru....
nough said

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join