It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of North Carolina Students Topple Confederate Monument

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Oh that wasn't very nice.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I am going to bow out of this thread. There are already enough internet cowboys waving their paper guns around from their rocking horses.

I think my position is clear on this matter, and nothing more needs to be said on it. Anyone who thinks they can debate me on this, well, sorry, you can't. My mind will never be changed when it comes to preserving the rich history, both good and bad, of my culture.

Understand, however, that I meant and mean every single word I have posted. Understand what it is you root for. The last time we danced this dance, there were more American casualties than in any other war in our history. My heritage means enough to me to dance again... does destroying it mean enough to you to do the same?

If so... war comes. You were warned.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

This is admittedly a sore subject for me. I think anyone who attacks a statue on public property should be eligible for capital punishment.

So you want an authoritarian government where property is more valuable than citizens?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: PhloydPhan

quick question - do you advvocate the destruction of :

if not - why not

all based on your opinions in the post above

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

One day they are going to pull this crap around the wrong people... and maybe, just maybe, after the blood stops flowing, people will wake up to the fact that there are some things you just don't do.

This is a mindset that I have a difficult time understanding.

If you look back through history, humans have a tendency to tear down the symbols of the societies that came before them. For a variety of reasons. It is those sorts of acts that are highly symbolic themselves in that the people of today are ripping down the stigmas of yesterday, in order to move on and grow.

Both involve symbols, which mean very little to me, but I do not understand why some would feel so strongly about either position as to imply that blood will flow in the streets.

That indicates an unhealthy attachment to the symbology.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

yes. there's a reason why nazi symbols and salutes are illegal in Germany... and their history isn't erased or some misguided heritage being taken away.
its about not holding certain figures and what they represented, in the same circles as those who fought for right and justice for their fellow man.

the bullsnip of 'heritage' is an inexcusable pretense to cling to Something the rest of the sane world wants to eradicate.

I don't condone the method of bringing down those statues, but if it's the last gasp of the last remaining Neanderthals, I say god speed anarchists.
because there are mentalists who are ready to die for those ideologies we're trying to rid in modern society.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

. My mind will never be changed when it comes to preserving the rich history, both good and bad, of my culture.

If so... war comes. You were warned.

TheRedneck

you preserve the bad. we'll cherish the good.

and when the time does come, I hope you dont cower behind technicalities and talk the talk you talk on the internet as you do in the flesh.

we all have the right to bare arms and we all have the right to stand up for what we believe in... I know what I stand for. and I know exactly where you stand.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
University of North Carolina Students Topple Confederate Monument

Give around of applause for the American Taliban.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I am saying that the war was over secession..

The slave states had a legislative majority in all 4 branches of government.. congress, senate, presidency AND the Supreme Court..

The reason the democrats lost the election is because the democrat party split on the eve of the elections..

They left BECAUSE AND BEFORE Lincoln and the fledgling gop were even sworn in..

There is NO WAY for some pre-existing policy to have caused them to leave because the people they had a problem with weren’t even sworn in yet..

It was ALL about what they might do later, not what had already taken place..

The slaves were worth more than every other material possession including livestock north and south.. people don’t give that much wealth up without a fight.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I am against vandalism and destruction of property.

However, I can see logical reasoning to move some of these statues out of the "public square" and into museums. By legal means.

The statues themselves have nothing to do with actual history -- other then the timing of when and why they were constructed during the Jim Crow/Civil Rights era.

edit on 21-8-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

As mad as this makes me, especially after you watch the interviews with the vandals who tore it down, I ended up feeling more sad for their ignorance and mad instead at those who indoctrinate these kids. History isn't being taught, it's nothing but criticism of Western history. First this is private property which they have no right to do anything with. Secondly the self-righteousness and arrogance of the vandals is something to behold. They act like they have a divine mandate just like religious fundamentalists we used to laugh at on tv.

Cultural Marxism won't stop at statues and street names. Our flag, the pledge, the National Anthem are all under attack. If they can remove Confederate statues because of slavery then the founding fathers and Constitution aren't far behind. I'm drawing the line here, NOW. This is war for the culture of our nation. Destroy it all and replace it with SJW crap? No thanks.

PS: Incredibly, Ireland just erected statues of Barack and Michelle Obama. Why ?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

so, a stupid statue, probably located hundred or more miles away from you is worth having a civil war for???

first of all, there are many, many men who fought in the american revolution, including at least two of my ancestors. as far as I know, neither of those two ancestors as well as most of those who fought were immortalized in stone, heck I don't even think they have been found to be worthy of an honorable mention in the history books, most aren't mentioned. but, ya know what, they don't need a statue, or even an honorable mention in the history books to be a part of american heritage.
I also have an ancestor who fought in the civil war, ain't seen any statues of him either, but he also is a part of american heritage.

I know of only one statue in my hometown, we used to try to climb it as kids, never made it very far myself. but you know what, I don't think I ever knew who that statue was of, he was so far up, you really couldn't make out much detail, and well, can't remember what the words said on the base.. but don't remember just what that statue was in recognition for.
now the old cannon at another park, ya, we knew what that was, it was even fired occasional. it protected the banks of the river during the french and indian war.

I'm sorry but our heritage, our history is so rich, so well documented, we don't need statues to tell us the story. heck, I know more of the story than I was ever taught in school via my grandmother, along with all the relics, old newspapers, and such within her home!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
It was brother against brother, much as the emotions of today, conservative against liberal. We should learn from history, not destroy it.

No one learned, the conservatives are still pissed at the liberals and vice versa.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   

One day they are going to pull this crap around the wrong people... and maybe, just maybe, after the blood stops flowing, people will wake up to the fact that there are some things you just don't do.

At the top of that list is shooting people over a statue.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

At the top of that list is shooting people over a statue.

In America people use to get shot over a pair of sneakers.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The reason the democrats lost the election is because the democrat party split on the eve of the elections..

Rigging their primary had a lot to do with it.

DemExit.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
So, some tarheels tore down a statue that recognized the UNC alumni that served for the Confederacy in the Civil War...

Where did the “Tar Heels” nickname come from?

The term “tar heel” dates back to North Carolina’s early history, when the state was a leading producer of supplies for the naval industry. Workers who distilled turpentine from the sticky sap of pine trees and burned pine boughs to produce tar and pitch often went barefoot during hot summer months and undoubtedly collected tar on their heels. To call someone a “rosin heel” or “tar heel” was to imply that they worked in a lowly trade.

During the Civil War, North Carolina soldiers flipped the meaning of the term and turned an epithet into an accolade. They called themselves “tar heels” as an expression of state pride. Others adopted the term, and North Carolina became widely known as the “Tar Heel State.”

In the 1880s, when UNC teams began competing in intercollegiate sports, they needed a nickname. There does not appear to have been any debate over what to call the teams and how to express school spirit. They were then, and have always been, Tar Heels.

alumni.unc.edu...
bold=mine

hmmmmmm........

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

DemExit.

????????
Say what again? What primary?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

neat looking statue, what is it, where is it?
kind of indifferent to it really. looks like it's set in an old fort, probably preserved because of it's historical importance...
or maybe reconstructed.. but in any case, it probably has someone or a group of people appointed over it as far as it's care and such who would be better informed about making decisions about it's future than me, or maybe even you. so my suggestion would be to consider what I said before you all go off to have a war in such a lovely setting over weather it should stay or it should go. if it's a battle field, then I imagine enough blood has been shed there anyways, why add to it. mother earth really doesn't like us feeding her blood over such stupidity.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

originally posted by: neo96

DemExit.

????????
Say what again? What primary?

observer.com...

www.bustle.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join