It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is there an electrician, master mechanic, engineer or awesome human that can help me wire this?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I agree w drewlander. I don't think the colors matter except black to black. A situation where its double voltage, of the same voltage, for twice the speed....Assuming your fan relay & temp sensor is good.

I strongly disagree with using wire wing nuts, save those for inside of boxes only in residental wiring. Solder, w shrink tubing slid on first(good harbor freight hookup, esp solder gun), or crimp connectors, which I hate and usually mess up.

You should be able to get a voltage from both wires on plug side with your engine and ac on. W voltage tester blk lead on the plugs blk lead and voltage testers red lead on the other 2 plug wires...to test relay to plug voltage etc. Before you take time to install all new fan.

Good luck

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Your first problem is that it's a PT Cruiser.....2nd problem is you are trying to cheap out fixing a problem. Never a good thing to do. Regardless of the circumstances. As one poster said, get a used one, or a new one and fix it correctly. I'm saying this in jest....I understand why you lost that finger now. If you do wire it yourself, use butt splices and heat shrink.
edit on 20-8-2018 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
...I understand why you lost that finger now.

well you dont but ok. i lost it cause i work in a foundry and when i lost the finger i was on almost 20 days straight of 15 hour shifts. its called being tired and working in a dangerous job.
and yeah yeah. they cant make you do that and you dont have to do that... sure.
when you have people that depend on you, you do it.

acting like im the first guy in the world to rig some # to make it work

you do what you gotta do when youre broke and dont have the luxury of buying parts or taking it to a shop

to all those who helped with suggestions i appreciate it

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Dont know...but disconnect the battery before cutting anything!!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

battery is in my back seat and both fans are out of the car. i want to wire it up before i put it back in

i think tomorrow i am going to go black to black. blue to blue and red to blue and put it in and see whats what

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead
a reply to: Toolman18

So the fan motor doesnt have two speeds it just controls it through voltage? If that's the case it won't matter as long as he keeps his ground consistent
edit on 8/20/2018 by TheLead because:

Right. If you swap ground it will either damage the motor or cause it to spin in the wrong direction.

The reason for the 3 wire plug into 2 with some # spliced in is probably a resistor for the low speed. extra DIV

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

battery is in my back seat and both fans are out of the car. i want to wire it up before i put it back in

i think tomorrow i am going to go black to black. blue to blue and red to blue and put it in and see whats what

You will know before installing it by connecting it and turning on ac.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

I understand that, I just wasn't sure if the resistor was built into the board or the fan itself. They were talking about an increase in voltage, but I didn't think that was possible without a series of batteries, which confused me a little. I was figuring the the resistor was built into the fan, but if it's in the board it wouldn't matter, other than the ground of course.
edit on 8/20/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yeah, good to hear, just thought it would be a bitch to do the fan without checking the sensor
Glad you are on top of it

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

No, I'm saying a really quick Google search on your problem would fix it for you quick. But no ATS is where to go. Good posters gave you good advice, I gave you good advice. I was trying to be funny with the finger comment, I guess it was lost in the issue. Sorry if I my comment offends you. You cheap out now, you pay for that cheapness later down the road. Good luck & stay cool
......pun intended.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

yes.
good people gave me good advice and i know what i am going to do now.

why does it bother you that i started a thread here and did not use google? i dont understand.
this is the automotive forum. this is where people post automotive questions so thats what i did.

i dont think you were trying to be funny. i think you were being a dick. you could have just not replied at all you know.

but thanks for figuring out why i lost my finger and pointing out that i cheaped out. like it is some #in crime to by the universal # and not direct fit.

thanks to everyone who helped. i know where i am going to go from here
edit on 21-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

You know your right....I was being a dick. I'd rather be a dick than a dumba$$. Stay cool, oh I forgot you can't stay cool because you can't get the fan wired correctly....my bad.
By the way, using capital letters to start sentences is how the rest of the world does it. Just so you know.
edit on 21-8-2018 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
LOL....the finger thing cracks me right up....lol...its in heaven waiting for him just like my teeth are up there waiting for me.....lol....lol.....I absolutely understand the root causes of the lost digit...I worked on the Oil Drilling Rigs and had many a friend missing digits....lol...witnessed one of them lose his....tried to get to him in time but he was bound and determined to separate that finger from his hand.....lol...yes 12-16 hour shifts can make you vulnerable to involuntary losing pieces of your body around machinery and things with moving parts....and hell yes many of us make the sacrifice and take the risks against our better judgement FOR THE PEOPLE WE LOVE....or the money we love I guess....depends on the person I did it for love....lol...must have cause I sure as hell don't have the money......lol.

The PT is a piece of junk...but when you have lemons you have to make lemonade...don't worry you will figure it out between this thread and google....YT has a lot of videos that are helpful because cars all have personal issues that the masses soon figure out how to get around...I had a Buick with a 3800 motor that everyone said was bulletproof....lol..BS….the motor is a money pit like most are until you figure them out...I discovered a simple fluid temperature sensor that if not replaced regularly ends up sending incorrect messages causing your fans to not do their job resulting in catastrophic damages to your engine....once I was on to the con-job I fixed it fine....every car I have owned has been used and since the internet has come along it has been easy to trouble shoot these junkers and keep them rolling.
You are brave to buy the wrong part and try to make it fit...I usually go to an auto-wrecker and pull the parts myself...to each their own.Necessity is after all the mother of invention.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

I give a # what the rest of the world does.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

It's not the wrong part.
It's a universal fit which means I have to rig it up.

Talked to the electrician at work. I've got it figured out.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
We know, it's why your car's fan don't work. When you refuse to capitalize a sentence or I for that matter....makes you look juvenile. Yeah, it does.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
We know, it's why your car's fan don't work. When you refuse to capitalize a sentence or I for that matter....makes you look juvenile. Yeah, it does.

cool.
would be most awesome of you stopped replying then.

ahahahahahahahahah

i noticed the signature.

pt cruisers are for pussies.

hahahahahahah

looks like i have a fan. well not my actual fan cause it does not work but a super duper bad ass internet fan.
never had one before.

i changed my signature too.
if i could shout it from the rooftops i would. this will have to do

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

looks like i have a fan. well not my actual fan cause it does not work but a super duper bad ass internet fan. never had one before.

😆... some fans you can do without.

( check your pm’s TST.. just sent you one )

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

looks like i have a fan. well not my actual fan cause it does not work but a super duper bad ass internet fan. never had one before.

😆... some fans you can do without.

( check your pm’s TST.. just sent you one )

back at you. sent

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I'm no fan of yours. I posted in your thread and you blew up about a damn joke. I pointed out your mistake and you took exception. So stay cool...if you can ever get that fan wired. By the way. I was electrician for 29 years prior to starting my own Home Repair/Renovation company. I could have told you how, but why. When a 5 minute search on Google could tell you more about the crap PT Crusier than you ever wanted to know. Stay cool

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join