It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Canada committed to missile defence: McKenna

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Contrary to the Liberal governments claims that Canada will not take part in the missile defense program, Canada's next ambassador to Washington has stated that Canada is already committed to the missile defense program.

www.thestar.com
The country’s next ambassador to Washington dropped a political bombshell today, saying Canada is already part of the controversial U.S. missile defence program.

Frank McKenna made the comment after appearing before a Commons committee examining his appointment by Prime Minister Paul Martin.

McKenna told the foreign affairs committee he wasn’t sure what more U.S. President George W. Bush needs from Canada on the controversial plan to create a continental missile shield.

Afterward, the former premier of New Brunswick went much further with reporters.

Asked directly if Canada is already part of the program, McKenna responded: “We are. We’re part of it now and the question is what more do we need?”

Martin’s Liberals have consistently denied that they’ve committed Canada to the missile defence program.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is the first blatant admission of Canadian involvement and committment to the missile defense program, but it's not really surprising, as Canada giving consent through NORAD was quite public from what I remember.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see the results of this statement from the NDP and other political groups that want absolutely nothing to do with the program. It will also be interesting to see the direction Canada takes with the program. Personally, I don't doubt Canada will be fully involved, eventually.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Interesting.

A whole lotta Canadjuns are gonna be pissed, eh?

A Military-Governmental-Industrial Conspiracy?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Personally, I don't doubt Canada will be fully involved, eventually.

Don't be so hasty, cuz it looks like we may be back to the polls soon!

soficrow, you don't know that half of it.
When this becomes public knowledge # is going to hit the fan BIG TIME! Jack Layton will probably have a stroke when he finds out, and after he recovers he will probably declare the unofficial alliance with the liberals OVER!

[edit on 22-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Everyone knows Frank McKenna is a Carlyle group employee, a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing disguised as Ambassador to the US. McKenna is nothing more than a small gear turning the ever growing US global military-industrial complex.

In the eyes of Canadian MP's, he serves the Bush..

[edit on 22-2-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
From reading the article McKenna seems to be confused on why Bush was asking Martin to sign on while McKenna claims that it had already been done.
Funny I thought Bush and McKenna were Carlyle buddies. Kinda odd that the ambassador knows more than the Prime minister and the President

politics.abovetopsecret.com...
www.cbc.ca...
www.canada.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I highly doubt Martin was out of the loop. Either that or it's a political move to try to force another election to try to get a more friendly gov't in power...

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Jack Layton will probably have a stroke when he finds out, and after he recovers he will probably declare the unofficial alliance with the liberals OVER!

Yup, get your shoes on of to the election booth we go. Too bad the Conservatives are for the missile defense also. I doubt the country will Elect the NDP. Heh, I'd vote for the Bloc if I could just to push out Martin and Harper.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

Jack Layton will probably have a stroke when he finds out, and after he recovers he will probably declare the unofficial alliance with the liberals OVER!

Yup, get your shoes on of to the election booth we go. Too bad the Conservatives are for the missile defense also. I doubt the country will Elect the NDP.

Why not vote for the NDP? Has Canada ever had a federal NDP government? ...Big business runs the show in Canada too. Isn't it time for a change?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Soficrow, every federal election I vote NDP.If there was a close race I'd vote for anyone if they will prevent the Conservatives from gaining control. As far as I know there has never been a NDP leader as prime minister. There are 307 seats in Parliament, the NDP has only 19. NDP's unofficial alliance with the Liberals is keeping things together. Combined with the Liberals 135 seats the two make up almost half of the government. So if NDP pulls out of alliance then its the liberals 135 versus everyone else's 172.
Minority government over. Bi election begins.

I would like to see the NDP run the federal government but they simply don't have the numbers to back it up.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I've been saying the same thing over & over. The Liberals simply take a poll & then tell everyone what they think they want to hear. The say one thing and do another. Martin would make an excellent conservative. His Canada Steamship lines pays 2% income tax in the Carribean instead of 50% in Canada. The liberals let the major Canadian Banks (Bank of Montreal, CIBC, T.D. Royal Bank, & Scotiabank) set up head offices offshore so they don't have to pay income tax. These banks only work in Canada but act like foriegn nationals. It's B.S. that these banks made 15 billion in profits without having to pay tax but all you liberal supporters get sidetracked by their political stance on political correctness instead of the fact that they're crooks. Um the sponsorship scandal anyone? Yet they still got re-elected cause they champions of human rights. What a load of B.S. The conservatives need to get elected just so they can bring to light all the corruption of the liberal party. Then they can get replaced once everyone knows in the next election which could be simply 2 years.
BESIDES:: Russia has had ABM technology since 1974 so why shouldn't North America?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Cannot wait til the next election. Mckenna may not have his job too long, God willing.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Wow, what a TOOL. This is what happens when you put a conservative in power, anywhere, anytime. They do what they want, and screw up everything for the rest of us. Way to go, mr. ambassador!

DE

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
wow. am i ever surprised(register sarcasm).
i was actually surprised when bush's lapdog martin told bush canadians weren't into military posturing. seems it was just hot air to keep the canadian spirit from getting riled. the true colours of the NWO are shadowing through now.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Don't be so hasty, cuz it looks like we may be back to the polls soon!

Maybe so, Sardion. Maybe it'll be another minority government. Maybe it's be a conservative government, or a liberal majority. But either way, do you really think Canada is going to stay out of this (as if we even really have!) in the long run?

The only government that may stay out of it would be an NDP government, and I wouldn't bet on that. Liberal majority, Conservative majority, it's all the same crap and I think they'll go the same direction with this.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm saying it could delay our involvement by potentially putting our gov't into a stalemate situation. Very tricky situation I agree, so alot can happen in a short amount of time. For all we know we could be going back to the polls in Spring...

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I'm saying it could delay our involvement by potentially putting our gov't into a stalemate situation. Very tricky situation I agree, so alot can happen in a short amount of time. For all we know we could be going back to the polls in Spring...

I kind of hope we do...

It could certainly delay things, but not by very long I don't think. I think joining is inevitable, unless there's an NDP majority. But then, if that happened, it may only last 4 years...

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
the quotes from the ambassador don't exactly tell how much a part of the program Canada is. As far as I'm aware, we we're never committed to spending money to build new facilities or place missiles etc, but we we're always more than happy to have monitors for ICBM's, we have been doing that since the sixties or seventies, maybe earlier.

In that regard we have always been involved, I think McKenna is trying to stir up a #storm and sail through it on his brand new #yacht.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by jawapunk]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Seems like the Ambassador may not know what he is talking about...

Martin will reject missile defence: report

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Paul Martin will reject Canadian participation in the U.S. missile defence program.

Martin plans to announce in the House of Commons as early as Thursday that the country will not partake fully in the controversial program.

The news comes hours after Canada's next ambassador to the United States, Frank McKenna, set off a storm by saying Canada is already taking part in the program because it has agreed Norad can monitor the skies for incoming missiles.

Martin's planned announcement will mark an abrupt change from his position 16 months ago during the Liberal leadership race, when he signaled that Canada should partake in missile defence. Since then, Martin has insisted that he hasn't reached a decision on whether Canada should be a full partner.

full story here : www.cbc.ca...

[edit on 23-2-2005 by sensfan]

[edit on 23-2-2005 by sensfan]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
We will see. The budget was...worrying to say the least, as it pleased conservatives.. over 10 billion for the military and tax cuts to everyone especially the rich. I like the fact that they are getting rid of the 30% foreign limit on RRSPs though... and the 5 billions for Kyoto is nothing to sneeze at either, but where is the Technological development money? Where is the Stem Cell money? How bout Nanotech? [Grumble]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join