It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

solar panels at their version of Wal Mart in Durban South Africa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

this is awesome. my friend texted me this pic today.

he said they do it for shade for the customers to park in and to generate their own electricity.

this is fantastic.

has anyone ever seen this in the states? on this scale

why is this not happening?

you would think we would see this kind of thing everywhere

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It´s almost free, so it can be only commie stuff and very evil with that. According to circles of people.

edit on 18 8 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Pretty neat. I have seen some ingenious solar applications on household scale and Ive seen massive solar farms, even in Indiana! I gotta admit what you showed is pretty cool.

edit on 18-8-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I went on a Yellowstone vacation in June and we saw the same thing at a Walmart on the trip. I think it was in Arizona... Can't remember exactly where.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

ha, if I look out from my balcony I can see that exact same parking lot. I actually noticed it the other day and was quite impressed. South Africa gets a lot of sun so it makes sense to harvest as much of it as possible.
We even have some traffic lights that have little solar panels (in Sandton) - mainly because we have a lot of power failures and Sandton gets grid-locked if the lights don't work.

edit on 18/8/2018 by deltaalphanovember because: typo

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Stop global cooling!!! End the solar panels now or we will be in snow ball Earth by 2040!

On a serious note, other than being a fireman, I build houses on the side. I’ve always wondered why they haven’t devoloped solar shingles for all new construction. Or why we all have dark shingles when white would reflect the heat. In southern areas anyway. The foam encapsulation is what I’ve been doing, but this would be awesome.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Flagstaff Arizona!

www.google.com... AUIFCgE&cshid=1534617880717&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=hnyhg80h8ZQaSM:

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

They have the Tesla solar panels in devolopment as roof shingles. I used to build insulated concrete forms around r50 walls r198 closed cell 2ft sprayed roof, with standing seem and 24 panels on average...pretty much net zero energy on 3000ft slab on grade radiant
edit on 18-8-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Im in California. We have those all over the place. Even at the school down the street. Real big ones!

Lots of houses with panels on roofs here too. My panel array is in my back yard. It is a stand alone system, with a large battery bank and 3 inverters.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It's a great idea but the RSA government is moving to tax private generation which will will make it almost pointless to go green. More money for the bottomless pit

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I went on a Yellowstone vacation in June and we saw the same thing at a Walmart on the trip. I think it was in Arizona... Can't remember exactly where.

thats awesome.

those damn things should be on the roofs of buildings in large cities like cleveland. it would be nice to see this all over the place.

our walmart has 2 electric outlets for cars and it is a huge walmart.

solar panels would be nice

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It's damn ugly.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5en5ei
It's a great idea but the RSA government is moving to tax private generation which will will make it almost pointless to go green. More money for the bottomless pit

citizen.co.za...
Looks like the municipalities won't give up their dependence on the electricity supply tax and need to tax anyone with a solar panel or even a solar powered calculator.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn
It's damn ugly.

yeah that parking lot would be a paradise to look at without those panels

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

I’ve always wondered why they haven’t devoloped solar shingles for all new construction.

I've seen solar shingles at a 'house of the future' thing at Epcot some years back. I don't know why they never went into production.

As for the white shingles- how hard would it be to take the same idea that is used on those color change mugs, and apply it to shingles? Certain temps, white- lower temps, black. Or even some smart tech that does it with the electrical charge from the solar powered shingles...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

If we had this around my area ( The communist state of NY) , they wouldn't be up long, people would wind up driving into them.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

You must live in your own little bubble, this is happening world wide and the country you live in (USA) is doing huge solar fields.

This is by far nothing out of the norm, really not.And the idea to use it as shades for plants and or cars or people.

In fact, this is not done because of the shade, it´s done so it can be called a roof and in most countries, roof installed systems get more payout per kwp than ground mounted moduls.

I think that´s the reason 90% do it.

edit on 18-8-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Good Idea, we have been doing this for years in Australia.

Almost 50% of residential houses have Solar Panels and Solar hot water heaters.

And Car parks.

edit on 18-8-2018 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
They have them in France as well. The house opposite ours has a huge 2x7 array of solar panels. We always joke that it looks like they nicked the solar panels off a satellite.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

edit on 18-8-2018 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join