It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who can measure the love of Christ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
“[I pray] that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have power to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses all knowledge”- Ephesians ch3 vv17-19

A few decades back, I was taking part in a Bible study which was discussing this chapter.
One member of the group was puzzled by the verse just quoted.
“Breadth, length, height, depth? That’s four dimensions. Why is Paul quoting four, when we normally use only three?”
None of us at the time could see a good answer to that question.
Since then, I think I’ve discovered a reason for the longer expression.

We normally measure things in three dimensions because we’re looking over them from the outside.
We have a different perspective, though, when we’re considering the love of Christ.

It might be better if you stand up to do this, or at least imagine yourself standing up.

Stretch out your arms to point to the left and to the right. That’s the breadth of the love of Christ.
Look straight ahead of you. That’s the length.
Look up above your head. That’s the height.
Look down beneath your feet. That’s the depth.
Since you don’t have eyes in the back of your head, you won’t be asked to look behind you.

We need to be counting these directions.
The breadth offers two directions, left and right.
The length is really two more directions, forward and behind.
Height and depth are two further directions.
That is a total of six directions from one viewpoint, corresponding to the sides of a cube.

We normally measure things in three dimensions, because we stand apart from what we are measuring.
But when Paul invites us to contemplate the love of Christ, we are no longer detached observers.
We are embraced by the love of Christ, in which we are “rooted and grounded”.
We are contained by the love of Christ, which is visible in all directions.
We can see six dimensions in his love, because we are standing plumb in the middle of it.
But we cannot ever measure the love of Christ, because there are no limits within sight.
There is a love which goes beyond all our knowledge.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing the love of Christ to these forums.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye
I would like to think so, thank you.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Thank you from me as well. My son and I had this discussion on our way home from school just a few minutes ago. Having to do with dimensions and sight versus insight. We can see 3 sides of a cube at any one time yet we know there are 6.

We didn't talk about Christ, but he does go to a Christian school.

In my opinion - the love of Christ is immeasurable.
edit on 17-8-2018 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: csimon

except for the people on his sh!t list... right?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
“[I pray] that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have power to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses all knowledge”- Ephesians ch3 vv17-19

But we cannot ever measure the love of Christ, because there are no limits within sight.

If "the love of Christ which surpasses all knowledge" is incomprehensible, then what is the point of Ephesians ch3 vv17-19 stating, "may have power to comprehend"?

I'm not impressed with paradoxes. Whoever wrote those verse does not seem to know what's he is talking about.

May have power to comprehend the love of Christ which is incomprehendable?

edit on 17-8-2018 by EasternShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's about 2 and a half miles.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Christ may have been a man considered to be a prophet. But he is long dead, and therefore it is easy to measure his love. Exactly zero.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   

And that kind of reflects on how we are to live and generate Christ's love
Kind of like Kierkegaard and his existential philosophy, don't just study, understand the Christian philosophy, actually apply and live it into others lives
Actually live and apply the fruit of the Spirit into our lives and others

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: csimon

except for the people on his sh!t list... right?

Christ doesn't have a sh$&t list
I am figuring it works the other way, He is on your list

Kinda person who has died because of His love for everyone
In fact Jesus never turns any away, you choose not to accept Him

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow
I think that's just the difference between limited knowledge and complete knowledge. If we look up at the night sky, we can see into space, but we can't come to know the whole of it. We can recognise that space is infinite, without having a full grasp on that infinity.
Paul wants them to escape the condition of not knowing the love of Christ at all.

edit on 18-8-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
Yes, we get that later in the epistle-
"And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself for us..." Ephesians ch5 v2

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Yes unfathomable love and eternal hell does seem a contradiction. Unless hell is reincarnation, in which we have to pay off past karma.

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out. (Rev 3:12 AV)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   

After reading your insightful post.............I ask this question:
Are you saying that the love of Christ is appearing in plain sight?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain
Physical sight is not necessary. It is to be recognised by considerate thought, in the same way that anyone else's love may be recognised.

edit on 18-8-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Physical sight is not necessary. It is to be recognised by considerate thought, in the same way that anyone else's love may be recognised.

No thought is needed.

But when Paul invites us to contemplate the love of Christ, we are no longer detached observers.
We are embraced by the love of Christ, in which we are “rooted and grounded”.
We are contained by the love of Christ, which is visible in all directions.
We can see six dimensions in his love, because we are standing plumb in the middle of it.

Christ is visible in all directions...........that is why the statement 'The truth is hidden in plain sight' is so great.

When thought comes in it veils the vision.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

When you gaze lovingly into the eyes of your lover....................does thought even come into it?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
When physical sight is not possible, then thought is the alternative. Reading letters usually helps.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

When physical sight is not possible, then thought is the alternative. Reading letters usually helps.

When 'physical sight' is not available with the eyes..............there is still sound and all sensation.

Thought is divisive...............it cannot know what is appearing.........thought doesn't see now..............it divides now into before and after.

Life is sensational..........it cannot be told.
edit on 18-8-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

So , you have to use your imagination?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join