It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London mayor wants to ban cars in some areas after attack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

To be fair, I've just read a less alarmist article on the subject and it seems Sadiq Khan is actually only giving somewhat cautious backing to the idea and admits that there needs to be a thorough investigation into the feasibility of such a proposal.

I suspect such an investigation would be a long, drawn out process - bureaucrats milking it for everything - so not likely to be implemented any time soon.

Hmmm sounds interesting av not actually read anything more around it other than this thread, so my thoughts are just what I think of pedestrianising central London.

I think doing it purely because you are saying it will prevent terrorism is pretty stupid, saying however that its for all the other reasons we have talked about then that could make sense.

It would be one of those things that like you say would be milked for all its worth for bureaucrats that love a free lunch after a conference.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

The people of London elected him. Let them live with their decision OR boot his ass out! Seems everyone is doubling down on stupid lately so let's see what happens.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If people looked at what he is saying without their anti-khan spectacles on they might actually realise what he is suggesting is perfectly sensible.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
If people looked at what he is saying without their anti-khan spectacles on they might actually realise what he is suggesting is perfectly sensible.

Yeah I totally agree.

You know I think if cars were smashing into the gates outside the White House and Trump said that he was backing a plan to divert traffic away from the fence they would be all for it.

Mention that the brown man with a funny name who seems to be a bit of a liberal has had the same idea people freak out.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yeah I totally agree.

You know I think if cars were smashing into the gates outside the White House and Trump said that he was backing a plan to divert traffic away from the fence they would be all for it.

Mention that the brown man with a funny name who seems to be a bit of a liberal has had the same idea people freak out.

Surely you are not suggesting that some people on this site don't like him for racist reasons...

The horror.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Yeah I totally agree.

Surely you are not suggesting that some people on this site don't like him for racist reasons...

The horror.

Racists on ATS....never!

All I am saying is that if the rich white guy who wanted to ban the muslims getting into America had this very same idea it would be praised as being the sensible solution to a number of problems.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I am starting a " Sedan Chair " business,

Trade should be brisk.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Notice how he happily bans something with every attack? I'm getting this odd vibe he's either doing this for some benefit, or he's in on it, and using it to further an agenda. Think about it- how many attacks were there before he was mayor? How about other major UK cities? I have not heard of other UK cities having these problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This smells.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

Notice how he happily bans something with every attack? I'm getting this odd vibe he's either doing this for some benefit, or he's in on it, and using it to further an agenda. Think about it- how many attacks were there before he was mayor? How about other major UK cities? I have not heard of other UK cities having these problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This smells.

London has been the target of terrorists attacks for decades.

The biggest recent successful attack in the UK took place in Manchester.

So yes you are wrong.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Notice how he happily bans something with every attack?

What has he actually banned after a terrorist attack?

Think about it- how many attacks were there before he was mayor?

Quite a few, we had 7/7 being the big one, then there was all that stuff during the troubles, all before he was Mayor, London has and always will be a prime target for terrorists, sadly it probably always will be.

How about other major UK cities? I have not heard of other UK cities having these problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

100% wrong.

Just look up the Manchester attack as a prime example of how wrong you are on this.

Actually come to think of it quite literally everything in your post is wrong.
edit on 16-8-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Yeah I totally agree.

And here we have it!

If we think coming out the day after a terror attack and suggesting banning cars would n some areas is a dumb idea, we must be racist!

Hahahaha!

That didn’t take long!

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Yeah I totally agree.

The horror.

Racists on ATS....never!

All I am saying is that if the rich white guy who wanted to ban the muslims getting into America had this very same idea it would be praised as being the sensible solution to a number of problems.

Seems to be working quite well so far? Also religion doesn't equal a race? Wish you folks who defend those of the Islamic faith would show the same outrage for those who openly and flagrantly trash people who are Christians?

But we can see your hypocrisy and uneducated responses by calling people who condemn the ideas of a religion as racist. I mean it isn't like Islam is based on a skin color right??????

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I fail to see what is wrong with Khan's statement.
So what if they turn more of this busy area into a pedestrian zone ?
Good idea really.
Most town and city centres are already pedestrian only areas with traffic bollards etc.
Makes perfect sense to me..so people can walk safely.
Why is this even debatable ?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I was being flippant if you read my first post I make it quiet Clear that I believe banning cars just because of terrorism is stupid but that I do believe banning cars in central London for a whole range of other issues is a good idea.

Furthermore I never called anyone racist, I was being flippant, call it my Scottish sense of humour.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: cosmickat
Good idea really.
Most town and city centres are already pedestrian only areas with traffic bollards etc.

Because Khan suggested it, therefore bad.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Good idea really.

Because Khan suggested it, therefore bad.

Ahhh....ok nuff said !

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Good idea really.

Its a good idea for a whole load of reasons,

reduces air politions, less congestion, less traffic accidents and yes, less opportunity for terrorists to drive into crowds of people just outside parliament.

Makes total sense.

Unless a politician who you don't like suggests it.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Eh is missed it was a joke, my bad

Look I don’t mind changing policy, but if this is his priority after a terror attack, it’s pretty laughable

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Hmmm, I don't really see what the big deal is there. Lots of cities have closed off streets to turn them pedestrian friendly so peeps can walk about and window shop, enjoy an espresso at a side walk cafe, etc. I'd want to keep my Houses of Parliament safe and pedestrian friendly if I were in his job.

Part of the problem for London and other European cities is the crush of out of control tourism. Thousands of Tour buses crammed with millions of idiot tourists from all about the world. Keeping those awful diesel fume spewing buses out of a metro area would go a long way to making life a lot better.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Good idea really.

Its a good idea for a whole load of reasons,

reduces air politions, less congestion, less traffic accidents and yes, less opportunity for terrorists to drive into crowds of people just outside parliament.

Makes total sense.

Unless a politician who you don't like suggests it.

Yeah ...exactly !
Lots of good solid reasons to reduce cars in and around the area.
And seriously...who ever wants to drive around the city of London....total nightmare !
Much faster to just walk !

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join