It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois manufacturer moving to Mexico over Trump tariffs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Trump's tariffs are making Mexico great again! It looks like a storage safe manufacturer outside of Chicago is closing up its factories, laying off 153 people and moving to Mexico citing Trump's tariffs as the reasons. This is yet one more factory to shutter its doors thanks to Trump's idiotic tariffs.

A storage safe manufacturer is reportedly planning to shut down two Illinois factories and move to Mexico in response to President Trump’s tariffs on Chinese metal imports.

Stack-On Products will close its two Chicago-area plants in October and lay off 153 people, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Al Fletcher, human resources director for the manufacturer’s Las Vegas–based parent company, told the newspaper that the company decided to relocate the operations to Mexico after Trump announced tariffs on steel and aluminum, as well as other products, from China.

“The operation is really not profitable,” Fletcher said. “Mr. Trump is part of this.”

Stack-On has operated in Chicago — its only two U.S. plants — for four decades, according to the Tribune, which added that the company already has factories in Mexico and China.

But hey, at least Stack-On cares about Americans unlike the President. They are offering to help people relocate to El Paso, Texas so they can commute across the boarder to the new factory.

Fletcher told the newspapers that some of the employees will be given the option to relocated to El Paso, Texas, across the border from its Stack-On factory.

Man I sure hope the Mexicans don't kick them out of the country for being there illegally. Those Americans are just trying to get a better life for themselves.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Keep on maga there Donald.
You're crushing it.

I'm sure this is fake news. The companies fault. Obama's fault.

Something like that. We will see

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yea. I can't wait to hear how Hillary Clinton is responsible for this factory closing from our conservative peers.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I await serious responses

When I mentioned a couple farmers where I am shut down their American side and moved everything to their Mexican farms - - I got jumped on for faux news.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Maybe Mexico is a safer work environment than Chicago. Only time will tell.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
He’s such a failure

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Trump's tariffs are making Mexico great again! It looks like a storage safe manufacturer outside of Chicago is closing up its factories, laying off 153 people and moving to Mexico citing Trump's tariffs as the reasons. This is yet one more factory to shutter its doors thanks to Trump's idiotic tariffs.

A storage safe manufacturer is reportedly planning to shut down two Illinois factories and move to Mexico in response to President Trump’s tariffs on Chinese metal imports.

Stack-On Products will close its two Chicago-area plants in October and lay off 153 people, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Al Fletcher, human resources director for the manufacturer’s Las Vegas–based parent company, told the newspaper that the company decided to relocate the operations to Mexico after Trump announced tariffs on steel and aluminum, as well as other products, from China.

“The operation is really not profitable,” Fletcher said. “Mr. Trump is part of this.”

Stack-On has operated in Chicago — its only two U.S. plants — for four decades, according to the Tribune, which added that the company already has factories in Mexico and China.

But hey, at least Stack-On cares about Americans unlike the President. They are offering to help people relocate to El Paso, Texas so they can commute across the boarder to the new factory.

Fletcher told the newspapers that some of the employees will be given the option to relocated to El Paso, Texas, across the border from its Stack-On factory.

Man I sure hope the Mexicans don't kick them out of the country for being there illegally. Those Americans are just trying to get a better life for themselves.

Couldn't possibly be due to the cheap labor in Mexico... Or the business environment in Illinois. Nah... Trumps tariffs.

I'll wait for the real story to come out.

link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

The company CLEARLY said they are moving because of the tariffs. Don't play dumb.

link   
Already mot profitable and tariffs are not helping. So it was on it's way out anyway.

Oh well

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Couldn't possibly be due to the cheap labor in Mexico... Or the business environment in Illinois. Nah... Trumps tariffs.

I'll wait for the real story to come out.

This is the real story. Stack On said they are relocating due to Trump's tariffs. You can stick your head in the sand if you want to avoid the bad news about Trump's policies, but this reality.

Stack-On Products plans to lay off 128 people at its facility in north suburban Wauconda and 25 people at its McHenry plant when it closes both facilities Oct. 12, said Al Fletcher, human resources director for Alpha Guardian, the Las Vegas-based parent company.

“The operation is really not profitable,” Fletcher said. He said the decision to relocate operations to Juarez, Mexico, was made about two months ago when President Donald Trump announced tariffs on numerous goods and materials from China as well as other countries, to reduce what the president has called an unfair trade deficit.

“Mr. Trump is part of this,” Fletcher said. So far, the United States has imposed tariffs on $34 billion of Chinese technology goods and $3 billion of Chinese steel and aluminum, and has proposed another $16 billion.
source
ed it on 15-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

“The company already has a plant in China and another in Mexico, and its only U.S. factories were the two in the Chicago area, Fletcher said“

I see you contently left this part out
edit on 15-8-2018 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Already mot profitable and tariffs are not helping. So it was on it's way out anyway.

Oh well

See what I mean?
Who woulda thought

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yea. I'm curious where his source that they weren't profitable before the tariffs is coming from. The two I posted in the thread don't say that.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

“The company already has a plant in China and another in Mexico, and its only U.S. factories were the two in the Chicago area, Fletcher said“

Exactly.... Trump just gives cover / excuse to move what remains. This was already in the works tariff or no tariffs.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The company CLEARLY said they are moving because of the tariffs. Don't play dumb.

They can claim that it was due to the tariffs, but it appears that this company was already operating multiple plants outside of the country. Its possible that it is merely an excuse to move the rest of their production outside as well in search of cheap labor. Cheap foreign labor is primarily why most companies leave. Payroll typically is the biggest chunk of any companies overhead costs.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
These tariffs shouldn't be treated as permanent because they aren't meant to be...they are a negotiating tool. If this company is pretending to move because of tariffs then they were for crap anyway...especially if they need Chinese steel to be profitable.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

Not sure why that is a problem or even needed to be mentioned. Since when are we worried about people in Mexico or China having steady employment?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: timequake

They can claim that it was due to the tariffs, but it appears that this company was already operating multiple plants outside of the country. Its possible that it is merely an excuse to move the rest of their production outside as well in search of cheap labor. Cheap foreign labor is primarily why most companies leave. Payroll typically is the biggest chunk of any companies overhead costs.

It's funny when people make up their reality even when shown that the exact opposite is true.

Me: posts a source quoting a Stack On representative literally saying the move was initiated two months ago due to Trump's tariffs
Trump Defense Force: NOPE! Trump cannot be responsible it has to be something they were already planning on doing already.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Just institute a crippling tax on companies moving overseas. Can't move overseas if they take 80% of the stuff going.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
So in this instance the big bad corporations are telling the truth...

*shrugs* since time began companies have picked up and moved for a variety of reasons typically profit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join