It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Democracy voting results no longer valid what now? Children hack outcome in FL It took 10 mins

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So if an 11 year old can hack the outcome of an election how much more can a foreign professional actor do it as well and what happens to Democracy when voting does not matter? What form of government does it become? How long does the illusion persist?

Thousands of adult hackers attend the convention annually, while this year a group of children attempted to hack 13 imitation websites linked to voting in presidential battleground states.

www.pbs.org...=https: //www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/an-11-year-old-changed-election-results-on-a-replica-florida-state-website-in-under-10-minutes
edit on 14-8-2018 by TheJesuit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

Link is 404.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
OK that should have fixed it!! Democracy based on votes easily Corrupted by CHILDREN !!! WOW how many other voting stations and STATE systems are like this????

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Use the correct way to post a link please.

www.pbs.org...

You're welcome. This time.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I didn't read all the articles I found when I googled it.. I am unfamilar with the way DefCon does their work, I also just woke up and havent had caffine so go easy on me.

Were they hacking a web site, or a replica machine? cause the articles I read seemed to imply both.

Lastly I am a few years out of date but aren't those machines supposed to never be connected to the internet, to prevent any sort of large scale hacking?

While a web site hack is not really anything new or unusal, and any information changed would still be verifiable by the unchanged votes right?

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Pen and paper exist for a reason.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Because you can't tamper with pen and paper results?

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Ok what's the amount of pen & paper in States,Counties, municipalities vs online or electronic? Any idea? tally that up and you'll see our beloved Democratic votes can and are being manipulated .

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

to be fair, the 11-year old in that photo looks like a brunette version of the computer nerd from X-files

edit on 14-8-2018 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I think this story is just a ruse to make people automatically believe Russians hacked the 2016 election and will hack the 2018 election.

Red Herring cooking lessons.

💥😃💥

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

So at a hacking convention where they made fake websites for the sole purpose of hacking, they were able to hack the websites designed to be hackable.

And this is news?

I've recently been to a zoo where they buried replica fossils, so I'm pretty much an expert at excavation.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Within the own story, it points out that these are replica websites. On top of that, we have this comment, which really does matter in the real world:

In a statement regarding the event, the National Association of Secretaries of State said it is "ready to work with civic-minded members of the DEFCON community wanting to become part of a proactive team effort to secure our elections." But the organization expressed skepticism over the hackers' abilities to access the actual state websites.

"It would be extremely difficult to replicate these systems since many states utilize unique networks and custom-built databases with new and updated security protocols," it read. "While it is undeniable websites are vulnerable to hackers, election night reporting websites are only used to publish preliminary, unofficial results for the public and the media. The sites are not connected to vote counting equipment and could never change actual election results."'

So, while this is a neat exercise for hackers, it in no way indicates that vote totals are being changed in the real world for the official results, even if the claim is that these replicas were in some way more difficult to access than the real thing.

That said, it's only a matter of time that they will be, but the fact that you assume that it would be a "foreign professional actor" is questionable--I would bet that it would be someone working directly with and for one of the two main parties.

And like LightSpeedDriver noted, please link to websites correctly--this whole URL-is-too-long-for-the-character-limits-but-I-don't-care mentality is happening way too often these days.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The absolute denial is astounding! No one want to hear it, no one want to believe it, it's a real pervasive problem just look up tampering, registered voters vs actual, voter fraud, Ga election server wiped, ect ect...here's a good read:

www.heritage.org...

Take note these are mostly individuals that were convicted.... and then you have this.....

A computer server crucial to a lawsuit against Georgia election officials was quietly wiped clean by its custodians just after the suit was filed, The Associated Press has learned.

www.apnews.com...

There's plenty of evidence it never makes MSM ever hmmmm

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I didn't read all the articles I found when I googled it.. I am unfamilar with the way DefCon does their work, I also just woke up and havent had caffine so go easy on me.

Were they hacking a web site, or a replica machine? cause the articles I read seemed to imply both.

Lastly I am a few years out of date but aren't those machines supposed to never be connected to the internet, to prevent any sort of large scale hacking?

While a web site hack is not really anything new or unusal, and any information changed would still be verifiable by the unchanged votes right?

Yeah this is what I gathered too. It appears to me they hacked and basically defaced a copy-cat state website that was based on a machine. Not very impressive. Makes for a good clickbait title though.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

FL is run by 4 year olds, so a kid a few years older would be able to....

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
"An 11-year-old boy on Friday was able to hack into a replica of the Florida state election website and change voting results found there in under 10 minutes during the world's largest yearly hacking convention, DEFCON 26, organizers of the event said."

A replica put together by the government of Florida

Hillary lost. Please get over it.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The new technology age is way to susceptible to being hacked. What is wrong with our government, can't they get it through their heads that we should not link everything together, it is a security risk. Everything in this country is susceptible to being hacked it seems, that was not possible twenty five years ago. I think our society is getting stupid, right up to the top of it.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think the most logical solution would be to somehow create a public voting database that can be independently and publicly verified. Sure, it removes voting privacy, but I believe that's a fair trade-off to remove the possibility of hacking, dead people voting, illegals, etc.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I disagree with your post

The Russians ONLY hack election(s) if a/the Republicans win.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I think this story is just a ruse to make people automatically believe Russians hacked the 2016 election and will hack the 2018 election.

Red Herring cooking lessons.

💥😃💥

From here on out (and going back to GWB), every election lost by Democrats will be a conspiracy. When Democrats win, all is right.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join