It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube Just suggested me content based off of what I just viewd here on ATS.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
YT doesn't recommend anything to me based off my browsing. I have Firefox, and it's pretty well fortified against tracking of all kinds, and I only log in to YT when I want to add something to one of my lists. So the best YT & Google can do is with what I search for directly ON Youtube itself rather than outside searches.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
There's a plugin for chrome that lists all the sites that are notified when you visit a web address (such as a page on this site).

If the YouTube thing bothers you, you might just quit the internet altogether after installing that plugin.

What is it called? I probably already have it.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
YT doesn't recommend anything to me based off my browsing. I have Firefox, and it's pretty well fortified against tracking of all kinds, and I only log in to YT when I want to add something to one of my lists. So the best YT & Google can do is with what I search for directly ON Youtube itself rather than outside searches.

I'm pretty sure that Firefox isn't fortified at all against tracking right out of the box. You can set it to where it's supposed to tell sites not to track you but they still do anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Wait. What?!?! People still play WoW?!?!

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: Bone75
There's a plugin for chrome that lists all the sites that are notified when you visit a web address (such as a page on this site).

If the YouTube thing bothers you, you might just quit the internet altogether after installing that plugin.

What is it called? I probably already have it.

Disconnect.

If I get a post ban for this, it's all your fault. The defense contractors staff here don't appreciate people knowing how to disable their trackers.

edit on 12-8-2018 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
I don't understand the surprise.
ats uses an advertising company, google has access to that advertising comapany.

ATS uses Google analytics, so they don't even need to go through the advertising companies, they know exactly what people are looking at on ATS. And if you are signed into your Google account, which 90% of people are because it's required for YouTube, gmail, etc, then Google will also know exactly who you are. Also, 90% of websites use Google analytics, so they basically use all your browsing activity to offer targeted ads. Most web browsers will also be susceptible to this type of tracking unless you're using addons which block that sort of stuff.
edit on 12/8/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I would suggest using different browsers for different things.

For example, use Chrome for Gmail, Facebook, Youtube.

Use say Firefox only for shopping, never ever logging into those mentioned above.

Use another browser for ATS, boards, research.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
See if there is a ghosting add on for your browser(such as FF having the option). Also, I don't suggest using Google's Chrome, as it even integrates you more into the tracking and advertising grid.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
It does that to me too, and to be honest it doesn’t really bother me. It’s just the way it is, and the price we pay for easy access to so much information. Since I don’t do anything illegal I’m not too concerned about it.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake Also, I don't suggest using Google's Chrome, as it even integrates you more into the tracking and advertising grid.

It definitely does that. BUT, the tradeoff is that you can set it up so that you can use your account on any computer and not lose everything between devices.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I HATE to have my privacy violated and I absolutely know that Google is doing it. OTOH, I also despise it when I have a crash and have to reinstall my OS and it takes me weeks to get my browser back the way I like it. That's why I stopped using Firefox. Well, that and all the really good add-ons I'd been using for years stopped working with the newer version of it and I was just like "# it!".

Firefox is (was) awesome before they screwed it up with all these recent "upgrades" that broke all the old add-ons. But even with the good add-ons, it was difficult to reinstall my OS and have everything back exactly the way I need it to be in 5 minutes. Chrome can do that. Unfortunately you have to sign your life over to Google in order to make that happen, however.

That said, Youtube is a resource that I appreciate. Even though they do everything they can to lure you into services you have to pay for, there's a vast treasure trove of free content on there and lots of interesting and amazing people. A fraction of a percent of everything that's on Youtube is more useful than everything that was on basic cable when I was growing up.

So Google is kind of screwing us on privacy, yes. But they're providing a very valuable resource at the same time. I have mixed feelings. It's not like they aren't telling us they're milking us. At least they're (more or less) honest about it. That's more than I can say for the IRS. LOL

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Good points made. It really is convenient to have it hooked to cellphones through having all the devices signed in with the same account. However, at the same time seems it even knows what you talked about before and when deciding on when purchasing something and of course if you did buy the product those ads pop up.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   
This is not a browser specific thing.
Data management platforms (DMP) collect information from all sites and share it around. Also collect from offline activity.
'Identity graphs' use direct matching and also AI to link events, purchases and activity to a single ID.
Look up Oracle Bkuekai as an example.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

I'm pretty sure that Firefox isn't fortified at all against tracking right out of the box. You can set it to where it's supposed to tell sites not to track you but they still do anyway.

Well no kidding it's not fortified right out of the box, who uses FF without getting the add-ons set up?

I do beg to differ that it hasn't gone downhill. I'll refrain from naming add-ons lest we piss off the admin, but I've found several that are just as good as the old workhorses, and in one's case, far better than the often-lauded Best of the Best for it's specific purpose. If you can't be bothered to treat it as an active battle of wits to overcome, why bother using anything but Chrome or IE in the first place?

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Well no kidding it's not fortified right out of the box, who uses FF without getting the add-ons set up?

I do beg to differ that it hasn't gone downhill. I'll refrain from naming add-ons lest we piss off the admin, but I've found several that are just as good as the old workhorses, and in one's case, far better than the often-lauded Best of the Best for it's specific purpose. If you can't be bothered to treat it as an active battle of wits to overcome, why bother using anything but Chrome or IE in the first place?

I have been patient with the Firefox people for years and I'm done with them. I started using Firefox exclusively in 2007 or so and used it all the way up to about a year ago. It pretty much seemed like I was always in a constant battle against their "upgrades". They were constantly taking away functionality, making things more complicated and forcing me to find more and more add-ons to restore things they removed with the latest "update".

And then there was the wonderful experience of dealing with the evasive Mozilla "help" people who would basically tell you to go sit on a cactus if you didn't like the new changes. You can ask them a very direct question and they will tell you everything but what you want to know. Because often the answer to your question is "Yeah. We changed that and we know a lot of people don't like it but we just plain don't care. Get used to it".

I really did not want to stop using Firefox but they all but forced me to. Over the years I spent hours and hours fighting to keep the add-ons I liked working and/or finding alternatives when they were just abandoned. And then one day I wake up and every single one of them are just gone. Nope. Just not doing it anymore.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

YT doesn't recommend anything to me based off my browsing.

Thank the Christ, I really wouldn't want to hear you relate your 'sexy sheep in fishnets and heels' recommendations.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

They are all connected...same companys owns Google owns YouTube owns Facebook owns Shelll oil owns Snapple...oh...you get it.

And you got it

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
They are all connected...same companys owns Google owns YouTube owns Facebook owns Shelll oil owns Snapple...oh...you get it.

And you got it

They're all publicly traded and you can view the major shareholders online, the largest are always the institutional investment groups; Vanguard, pension funds, etc.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

love it good one.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

I just bought 2 months. First time in a while. I try and give every expansion a try.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join