It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUDDHIST HELL in Sri Lanka: Demons and Devils: Dickwella Temple (Wewurukannala Vihara)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: peacefulpete

Long past a genuine conversation with you Pete
You have no capacity to sincerely and openly discuss Budhist in any way

Again, as a Christian I am capable of seeing the Christian churches failings very clearly, all her problems and even my own
You, as a Budhist apologist, seemingly, you can't see or won't admit any of its failings.
Even the way you pointed to Japan, the country who slaughtered millions in the 30s and 40s during WW2 and then denying Budhist...

Seriously, I don't think you apply any logic at any level, genuine conversation?
I can't have a genuine conversation with you, you are not genuine

As for people comparing Catholics to Buddhism, it wasn't me and I have never infered that, why bleat at me, it's not my show
Strawman game you play, insincere and non genuine

I have seen the Singapore Budhist hell garden, I was a kid, it was frightening
Little concrete statues Lego sized of horrific torture, very unlike what the bible teaches what hell is, very much like what Catholics teach hell is like

Anyway, just don't tell me Budhist is perfect, I know better
edit on 14-8-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Long past a genuine conversation with you Pete
You have no capacity to sincerely and openly discuss Budhist in any way

Again, as a Christian I am capable of seeing the Christian churches failings very clearly, all her problems and even my own
You, as a Budhist apologist, seemingly, you can't see or won't admit any of its failings.
Even the way you pointed to Japan, the country who slaughtered millions in the 30s and 40s during WW2 and then denying Budhist...

Seriously, I don't think you apply any logic at any level, genuine conversation?
I can't have a genuine conversation with you, you are not genuine

As for people comparing Catholics to Buddhism, it wasn't me and I have never infered that, why bleat at me, it's not my show
Strawman game you play, insincere and non genuine

I have seen the Singapore Budhist hell garden, I was a kid, it was frightening
Little concrete statues Lego sized of horrific torture, very unlike what the bible teaches what hell is, very much like what Catholics teach hell is like

Anyway, just don't tell me Budhist is perfect, I know better

I just can't take any of this seriously. You're just demagoguing an educational thread about a very unique temple in Sri Lanka and its reflections of Buddhist cosmology.

Buddhism can be talked about critically but you're obviously not up for the task.

If someone else wants to talk about specific criticisms of Buddhism then that would be really interesting. Factually though, comparisons to Catholic Church just show that the person doesn't understand how unstructured Buddhism is, as a global religion.

I want to post more pics of the temple but the upload function has been glitched out for me lately.

I didn't think of it when I first made the thread, but as soon as someone mentioned the age of the statues, I have been leaning toward the hell realm statues as probably modern wax-statues or something like that.

Buddhism lets us imagine the realms however we want to, basically. Anything and everything is possible.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: Raggedyman

Wouldn’t it be funny if your strict adherence to Christian beliefs landed you in Buddhist hell?

Wouldn't it be even funnier if yout strict adherence to yout fundamentalist atheism landed you in a Buddhist hell
wouldn't it be fine if those balanced spirits that try to get you lost after death put a mirror on a stick and didn't leave anywhere to go from there?

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

They are made of wax, seriously?
They are concrete statues, Lego size, wax would melt
There is another garden in Singapore, another in Hong Kong....the Tiger Balm garden now known as Haw Par, so the Sri Lankan one is not unique
en.m.wikipedia.org...

So there is nothing unique about your Sri Lankan temple depicting hell,
sorry

Everything and anything is possible but in this case, these gardens depicting Budhist hell in Sri Lanka are not unique

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: i77oomiknotti

I think we are lost well before death

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

They are made of wax, seriously?
They are concrete statues, Lego size, wax would melt
There is another garden in Singapore, another in Hong Kong....the Tiger Balm garden now known as Haw Par, so the Sri Lankan one is not unique
en.m.wikipedia.org...

So there is nothing unique about your Sri Lankan temple depicting hell,
sorry

Everything and anything is possible but in this case, these gardens depicting Budhist hell in Sri Lanka are not unique

Yeah concrete is another good possibility. Though I don't know why you're acting like you never heard of wax statues lol. There are entire museums full of wax statues that don't melt.
edit on 16-8-2018 by peacefulpete because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Also, a Buddhist 3D depiction of hell actually IS unique. It's the only one I've heard of, while Buddhism is full of statues around the world, of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

You linked to a commercial project from a manufacturing company advertising their lip balm with their statues. It's very off-topic.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Though I don't know why you're acting like you never heard of wax statues lol. There are entire museums full of wax statues that don't melt.

No they are not, how do you get the impression they are?

Wax museums like the one in Hollywood?

Is the temple in Sri Lanka also Climate controlled like the wax museums are for tourists to visit?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Actually PP believe me or not I have seen them and in the countries they were in, it's hot, wax melts
The parks were built in the 50s, it's not a modern wax

That's irrelevant, their were a few other Budhist hell depictions around Asia, they were pretty disturbing
And they are concrete not wax for what it's worth

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
^ Lol. You guys have such worthless responses.

I was in Mexico a few months ago and saw a wax statue of Frankenstein, outside, in the hot sun, and it didn't melt. Wax statues are not limited by heat or climate or whatever.

There are wax statues from decades ago that are still perfectly fine.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
double post
edit on 16-8-2018 by peacefulpete because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

their were a few other Budhist hell depictions around Asia, they were pretty disturbing

I doubt you've seen anything like it. Please post links.

The fact is that Buddhist depictions of hell are so rare that they're practically nonexistent.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I doubt that you would understand PP, its not worth my time

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Funny a few posts back you stated Christianity teaches hell is eternal, it doesn't, simply wrong, but that's ok.
You say Buddhism is a peaceful belief, I don't doubt that, you say Buddha was a good teacher who taught good things, I can accept that, then you say Buddhists are all good, that's not true
I believe in Jesus, I am a Christian, I believe Jesus was a great teacher, taught great things, was a peaceful man, I can also say this clearly, the Christian church and Christians have been utter failures in proclaiming and living as Christ taught
We just fail at what we proclaim.

You, you seem to sincerely believe that Buddhist are some altruistic faith and Buddhist countries never had violence or wars, Budhist people,are sweet, wholesome, loving and beyond reproach and I am afraid when I have visited Budhist countries I just don't see that

Now I have no doubt to you, my opinion is trolling, that I question your beliefs, have an opposing opinion I am interfering in your thread, that I am off topic, sorry it's the discussion

Also I note you say you are not a Budhist but your defense of them looks a little strange when considering your position. Normal people know, can see the followers of bufhisms failures as they see the followers of christianities failures
Why deny it

Apparently Gautama said: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him".

So pacifist and loving.

In order to see the Buddha, you have to be a Buddha. So once you become a Buddha you can let go the original Buddha (kill him off in your mind).
edit on 16-8-2018 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Yet another thread of yours where you are misrepresenting what other posters are saying, slagging them off and arguing about petty semantic points until the cows come home.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Japan is where Zen comes from, which came from China,

Eh? That does not make any sense.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I doubt that you would understand PP, its not worth my time

Thanks for validating my statement.

Buddhist depictions of hell are so rare that they're practically nonexistent.

You don't have links because such depictions are... practically nonexistent.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Yet another thread of yours where you are misrepresenting what other posters are saying, slagging them off and arguing about petty semantic points until the cows come home.

Well no, just another thread with the troll factory crapping up my thread with such garbage posts as yours. I haven't been misrepresenting anything or arguing petty semantics, because...

Global anthropology and world history are not petty semantics lol.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Japan is where Zen comes from, which came from China,

Eh? That does not make any sense.

Really? That doesn't make sense?

Bodhidharma founded Zen, and he was the barbarian from India. He brought Zen to China, where it was called "Chan," and eventually it later spread to Japan, which is why Japan has its rich history of Zen Buddhism.

This is basic world history. Are you really going to troll me about basic world history lol.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

but what seclion of history do you NOT want trolled and where has it been placed. When it was ordered to be placed there?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join