It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Democratic House Candidate got 30,000 Write-In Votes in Michigan

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Do you think having a 24/7 propaganda machine that never stops demonizing Democrat party opposition has anything at all to do with it?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

No more than the 24/7 propaganda machine that never stops demonizing Democrats and liberals; even when their supporting party is in charge.
edit on 10-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This sounds like another one of those reading comprehension tests where the title doesn't really line up with the contents.

The candidate was booted from the ballot based on a technicality: His petitions listed a Post Office box rather than a physical address. His campaign turned the petitions in on March 6. An official got back to the campaign on April 29, explaining the address snafu, and saying that they had until the end of the day to withdraw or they were likely to be disqualified, said Joe Vanderbosch, Morgan’s spokesperson. They refused to withdraw, so the Michigan Board of State Canvassers booted Morgan. The campaign took the decision to the Michigan Court of Appeals and lost in a 2-1 judgment.

It was the Michigan Board of State Canvassers that took Morgan off the ballot, not the Republican Party. Unless, of course, the Board is a Republican organization. The Michigan Court agreed, is the Michigan Court controlled by Republicans? Was Mr. Morgan given no opportunity to correct the technical error by giving his address?

More importantly:

Morgan added that his campaign has not yet found support among Democratic groups who aim to get veterans elected. “I am deeply frustrated that the organizations supporting veterans have not done more to support my candidacy, and my sense is they’re standing back because I’m running against another veteran,” he said. “But I think it’s really important: Jack Bergman and I are not the same.”

Rep. Seth Moulton, a Massachusetts Democrat, has endorsed and funded a string of veterans across the country. He has had several conversation with Morgan, though he hasn’t yet endorsed him. (Moulton has endorsed a significant number of moderate to conservative candidates, but also some progressives; his spokesperson said Moulton has no ideological litmus test.)

While Democratic voters like Mr. Morgan enough to write him in, it seems the Democratic Party isn't supporting him very much, which may have something to do with the fact that Mr. Morgan doesn't support Nancy Pelosi.

Reading between the lines of the article you get the impression the Democratic Party has more problems than the GOP. At least in Michigan. They couldn't even get one candidate on the ballot for Democratic voters to vote for. Democrat voters had to find their own and write him in.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
While Democratic voters like Mr. Morgan enough to write him in, it seems the Democratic Party isn't supporting him very much, which may have something to do with the fact that Mr. Morgan doesn't support Nancy Pelosi.

Reading between the lines of the article you get the impression the Democratic Party has more problems than the GOP. At least in Michigan. They couldn't even get one candidate on the ballot for Democratic voters to vote for. Democrat voters had to find their own and write him in.

Isn't that a good thing though? If voters don't need the DNC to beat the GOP, doesn't that imply that we can also fix the DNC at the same time we route the GOP?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

a reply to: neo96

Deflection. Answer the question. This was a grassroots campaign and had nothing to do with the national DNC.

fits the pattern.

democrats cheat.
democrats are sheeple.

New York democrat party: "Attention New York Democrats. Here is Hillary Clinton. She is from Illinois and moved to Arkansas and spent the last eight years in Washington. You will vote for her for senate even though she has nothing to do with new York."

democrat voters: "yes masters."

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Um... What pattern? Where is there evidence of Democrats cheating in the OP?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

a reply to: ElGoobero

Um... What pattern? Where is there evidence of Democrats cheating in the OP?

Well he's a Democrat so he automatically cheats. You know the drill around here.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Oh yeah. Silly me. I forgot the rules of political arguing on ATS. Democrats are ALWAYS guilty, even if the discussion isn't about a crime, they are still guilty of a crime; and Republicans are never guilty no matter how guilty they may look. The Republican can be holding a literal briefcase of money and he won't be guilty.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

a reply to: neo96

Deflection. Answer the question. This was a grassroots campaign and had nothing to do with the national DNC.

fits the pattern.

democrats cheat.
democrats are sheeple.

New York democrat party: "Attention New York Democrats. Here is Hillary Clinton. She is from Illinois and moved to Arkansas and spent the last eight years in Washington. You will vote for her for senate even though she has nothing to do with new York."

democrat voters: "yes masters."

Donald Trump: “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and still not lose any voters.”

Sheeple indeed.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Most people I know who vote do not write someone in.

I'm sure that is the case for most Americans in general. So that's why it's so impressive that Morgan was successful with his drive to get the write-in vote.

When it comes time for the election I will evaluate who I feel is better for our state, whether it be Morgan or Bergman. I appreciate being able to have two candidates to choose from, both who have a chance at winning.

I am not strictly affiliated with any party, but lately I am seeing we need more people in office who will work together for the good of the people.

We had a governor candidate running in the primaries for governor, his name was Shri. He seemed like a nice guy, medicare for everyone, tax the corporations and increase property taxes to pay for it. He also wanted to increase school payments. Yeah right, chasing corporations out of our state, they will move to other states, is not the answer. Neither is raising property taxes to pay for these things, Old people have enough expenses these days, utilities keep increasing.

I am glad he lost the primaries, I could see the Democrats voting for this dreamer. Our businesses have to be competitive in the economic type we have, raising their taxes will drive them out. That happened before under a different democratic governor.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Just want to clear things up. I originally stated he was running for governor, but the source said he was running for a congressional House seat. I fixed the OP, but I'm not sure if you noticed or not.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's not a technically, it's a requirement to ensure they live in the district they run in.

More liberal disengenuousness ... Ridiculous

Jaden

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Call it what you will. The voters weren't having any of that rule and decided he should run anyways.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Does that response surprise you? Trump supporters and conservatives will always twist or make excuses on anything that reflects negatively upon them. They continue to refuse to recognize blatant lies and proven facts.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Voters will sure didn't matter during the DNC convention.

Now suddenly it does.

Hypocrites.

^^^^^

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Michigan's 1st Congressional District has a population of just about 700,000 people. (source

There are approximately 471,000 registered voters in the counties of the 1st Congressional District as of July 2018. (source

So, 30,000 of the 471,000 available registered votes equates to 6.4% of the available votes in that district.

Yes, by all means, this certainly equates to an energized base that is going to win this November. So energized--the best energy. The greatest energy of any district of any state of any country.

Everyone agree, the energy is great.

Also, following the rules in place is not what normal people call a "technicality"...that's what people who are trying to push an agenda and embrace identity politics do.

But, hey, it is Michigan, so if a congressional district that has a history of alternating between red and blue (and a history spanning from 1933-2011 of only having a Democrat representative) makes you think that it is a microcosm of the nation, I am wholly suspect of your critical-thinking skills.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
until gerrymandering is abolished and corruption is taken seriously on both sides, congress won't truly represent the people so i always take these elections with a grain of salt.

to politicians its just a back and forth game of one-upmanship, the people are just numbers to them, often forced to vote for whoever controls the district that year.

the word "election" is a joke in this country, most just haven't caught on to it yet.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

a reply to: Masterjaden

Call it what you will. The voters weren't having any of that rule and decided he should run anyways.

So the voters weren't having any of that rule? A rule that was violated and could have easily been remedied by simply giving a physical address? Instead of doing so, said candidate appeals it? Has he remedied the address problem yet?

While you see voter will, I see a bunch of morons that don't care a candidate is already breaking rules. Rules that every other candidate has to abide by as well. How difficult is to to change an address on a form? I'm betting it's easier, and cheaper, than appealing breaking a rule.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

Isn't that a good thing though? If voters don't need the DNC to beat the GOP, doesn't that imply that we can also fix the DNC at the same time we route the GOP?

Oh, yeah! I agree 100%. I read Mr. Morgan's position on some issues and I like him. He would get my vote.

It would be nice if we could kick both Rs and Ds to the curb and elect people based on what they stand for instead of their party affiliation. I would love to see a Congress where representatives vote their conscience instead of the party line.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Democrats have always done well in Michigan (in recent decades)

en.wikipedia.org...

This is the same thing as declaring Dems "energized" over winning California...........

Meanwhile, states that decide elections (like Ohio) paint a very different picture. As does Trump's approval rating, and the Obama-records he keep exceeding.

His unemployment is lower than O's (1/4th)
His GDP is higher (x2)
His deficit is smaller
The stock market is excelling
edit on 8/10/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join