It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I may retire soon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Retiring my ass.

Sounds like someone was confronted at the office for his poor attitude toward others and is looking to duck out before he gets fired with the "retirement" excuse as cover.

“My ass” is not what retirement is. I was not confronted in any way. My job is going nowhere if I leave. This is just the way it is man. I made good money and am ready to leave. What is wrong with that? I may have an issue in my life that may be influential in my decision making but that is on me. All I want now are pigs and cows. That is it, and are simple to handle. I grew up in Oklahoma and know the ins and outs of farming. If something comes up I have friends and family that will teach me how to fix the problem. My corporate job is about to be done. Thank freaking god!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
All I can say is a 401K is anything but secure if you have it in stock fund assets. The market turns south around every 8-12 years and we are long due for a correction at the least. If you retire I'd suggest rolling most of your 401K into something a little more stable than stock funds. Maybe federal notes.

Edit: Second thought, federal funds might not be such a good idea either.
edit on 9-8-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I went into early retirement.
The only problem ?
I got bored.
When that 9:00 pm call came asking if I would come back , I said yes.

I wish I had thought about a farm to occupy my time .

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I am never going to retire.

And do what? Sit in my old-man chair and say, "Get off my lawn!"?

I do that now. It's called Saturdays.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I am never going to retire.

And do what? Sit in my old-man chair and say, "Get off my lawn!"?

I do that now. It's called Saturdays.

As the OP stated , I do believe a farm takes up a good chunk of time.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I'm 45 and haven't been able to stop thinking about retiring. If I didn't have young kids, I think I'd sell all my stuff and just hit hit the road with an Airstream to explore the nooks and crannies of the US. Visit all the national parks, etc. Just explore different states and towns for a week or two at a time.

I guess I am just tired of the rat race. Really starting to get into minimalism. I just want to explore the country.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Dude just explore and be happy. I think may go work for a national park and live life. Screw the rat race man.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

But you said you are 30, I always thought retiring was for 60 year olds or so

I would probably go travel the world if I was 30 and had lots of cash, I did some traveling in the past years but it was pretty much paid for me so I don't know what I would do with my own cash, but definitely not go away and grow old in a couple years because of not caring about raising up from whatever you are right now

Anyone choses his destiny so I don't know, it just seems weird to me
edit on 10-8-2018 by WarriorMH because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarriorMH
a reply to: Allaroundyou

But you said you are 30, I always thought retiring was for 60 year olds or so

I would probably go travel the world if I was 30 and had lots of cash, I did some traveling in the past years but it was pretty much paid for me so I don't know what I would do with my own cash, but definitely not go away and grow old in a couple years because of not caring about raising up from whatever you are right now

Anyone choses his destiny so I don't know, it just seems weird to me

My dad's in his 70's, and had to medically retire 20 years ago (ever heard of a 5-part bypass surgery? Major heart surgery there) Even being considered medically fragile, he got VERY bored not having anything to do all day. He runs a farm now like he used to when I was a kid, but -- and this is something the OP needs to listen to instead of being smug about it -- it's NOT main income. It never was, it won't pay the bills, and it's not going to even pay for itself, especially competing with factory mega farms.
Most farmers have "real" day jobs, my dad's was as a remodeling contractor, and ran a recreation vehicle rental business and his own storage facility on top of running the farm. If the OP think's he's not getting into a farming money sink, he's more naive than people give him credit for. It's tough physical work, and tough to break even, let alone make a profit.

It's part part-time job, part hobby for my dad, he's a big green thumb and enjoys tending the food people eat. He can't do as much physical labor as he used to, that heart surgery really limited what he can do even today. Anyway, it isn't now, nor was it in his prime, a way to make bank. The OP, like many retirees regardless of how they choose to spend their retirement, is going to sing a whole different tune after a while once it gets stale and dull.
edit on 8/10/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I do plan on having a part time job. Selling jewelry actually at a fiends shop. I know what I am getting into. I just want what is in front of me to be done. That is that and we can talk about it in the future.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I'm with you undertaking farm dutys is quite a chore and I'm sure a female especially a younger one,would hate the isolation and grueling unending work,and spend any spare time with her brother,or farm animals

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: Nyiah

I do plan on having a part time job. Selling jewelry actually at a fiends shop. I know what I am getting into. I just want what is in front of me to bo done. That is that and we can talk about it in the future.

Have you really considered the financial aspect of starting a farm? I assume you mean to have a for-profit farm and not a mere personal family-sized go at it, that's what you come off as intending to do.

I'd discussed the idea of us (my family) having a small produce farm with my dad a few years back, he was extremely candid and pointed out everything nobody with googly eyes over the idea considers. Cost for the acres of the land for the farm aside, it's not a cheap process. Equipment costs money, a tractor alone can cost as much as, & far more than, a new car. Irrigation systems cost. Pest control costs. Even the seeds cost.

If you'd be going into livestock, feeding them costs. Whether you buy it or grow it yourself like we did (again, you'd have to consider equipment) The vet care costs, the insurance on them costs. Properly housing them costs. A lot more goes into a farm than just this, but I think you get the point.

I'm positive my dad would highly suggest you sit down, legit research the hell out of this idea, and price every single aspect that goes into the type of farm you want.
Odds are, even with a loan, you're still going to have to pull from your 401 (and suck up the penalty for touching it early) to make the down amount if you finance any goods. You can probably snag a USDA loan easy enough, it's the other stuff needing financing that's going to smart the bank account. If you haven't bothered to hash out the feasibility of just start-up costs alone, you're already biting off more than you can chew.
edit on 8/10/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Dude just explore and be happy. I think may go work for a national park and live life. Screw the rat race man.

I try to when I can... I love taking road trips. I always regret I got sucked into corporate America and used to the money. I wish I would have been a park ranger or some academic studying dinosaurs, volcanoes, or something. I enjoy nature.

I see a lot of people work until they are 60 and then their health deteriorates really fast. They never really get to enjoy "retirement". I don't want to be so old and decrepit when I retire that I can't enjoy it.

I'm hoping I can retire (or severly cut back working) when I am 55. I should be able to if I play my cards right.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I'm hoping I can retire (or severly cut back working) when I am 55. I should be able to if I play my cards right.

Retire now, do what you want now. People have strokes and coronary at 55 all the time and get to enjoy forced retirement in the assisted care village. Put all your assets into bitcoin. Live your dream...

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Building a farm does not sound like retirement, it sounds like you are finally going to work for a living

Right?

Why do folks think this is easy?

I get up at 5:30 am each morning, and drop feed, hay, fill water buckets, then bring in a bunch of horses (ours and those we board)....then feed the outside cats, bunnies, and chickens. All before I get cleaned up, dressed for work in the city (an hour commute away)...

LOL.

Granted, you'd be taking the commute and city job out of the equation, but just finding the time (and energy) to mow, and keep the pastures, yard up, is exhausting....let alone any "fun" projects.

To each their own....

Personally, I can't ever imagine retiring. I could always do consulting work from home, not to mention boarding, etc. (have to care for our horses, so adding a few more isn't changing much).

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Put all your assets into bitcoin.

NO! LOL....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join