It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Who Lost Limbs After He Was Licked by Dog Says He's Happy to Be Alive

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

She's a girl so no "balls" to lick im afraid.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
And people let dogs lick their mouth.

I had that happen. Wasn't *letting* it happen, but my head was in the wrong place (sitting on the floor, eye level with the dog), and I had opened my mouth to speak to someone. I got frenched by a slightly retarded pitbull puppy.

There WAS NOT ENOUGH SODA in the building to take the taste from my mouth.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I genuinely feel bad for the guy. I watched a video and literally thought "kill me" over and over while watching it.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Dogs are NOT a clean animal.

It is one of the reasons I prefer cats.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Plenty of humans are not clean animals.

Cleanliness has its purpose but so the millions of bacteria that live in symbiotic harmony with the rest of nature.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I don’t allow random humans to lick me either.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RavenSpeaks
Dog licks are actually supposed to be good for wounds.
I learned this from my sister who lives in South Carolina.
She said her red neck neighbors suggested that she
let a dog lick her son's wound that was not healing well.
She said it worked.
Here's a link that describes the history of the practice:
www.psychologytoday.com...

Ever since I was young, I was told their mouths are cleaner than ours.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Holy cow.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It's a spread of zoonosis due to the years of general opinion that dogs mouths are sanitary making it okay for them to lick adult's and children's faces, so of course licking hands wouldn't be a top priority to wash them. The truth of the matter it's best to wash your hands after handing any animals, especially before eating/contact with your mouth/rubbing face, etc.

It's not to say it's the man's fault in this respect(cases of flesh eating disease has really seemed to have gone up lately), it's horrible what's happening to him and he is very brave to be pulling through all of it. I wish the best regards to him.
edit on 9-8-2018 by dreamingawake because: reworked

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Dr. Werber says that despite Manteufel's situation, it's OK to allow a dog to lick you.

I think that's the most important part of the article. People need not suddenly start avoiding dogs, unless of course they already have a phobia or something.

Being in any hospital is more risky.
edit on 8/9/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You must have some odd cats. You've never had one come in with a dingle-berry and start licking and eating it out of their own as....... It's even worse when they hop on the bed with a treat hanging from their backside.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
It's a spread of zoonosis due to the years of general opinion that dogs mouths are sanitary making it okay for them to lick adult's and children's faces, so of course licking hands wouldn't be a top priority to wash them. The truth of the matter it's best to wash your hands after handing any animals, especially before eating/contact with your mouth/rubbing face, etc.

It's not to say it's the man's fault in this respect(cases of flesh eating disease has really seemed to have gone up lately), it's horrible what's happening to him and he is very brave to be pulling through all of it. I wish the best regards to him.

zoonosis I had to look that up.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

It's not their fault. As for dogs, probably a lot of people would lick their own balls if they were able to.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

originally posted by: RavenSpeaks
Dog licks are actually supposed to be good for wounds.
I learned this from my sister who lives in South Carolina.
She said her red neck neighbors suggested that she
let a dog lick her son's wound that was not healing well.
She said it worked.
Here's a link that describes the history of the practice:
www.psychologytoday.com...

Ever since I was young, I was told their mouths are cleaner than ours.

Their mouths are healthy for them. When they have an infection or inflammation, it helps the area for them to lick it. Those anti-bacterial properties they have in their saliva do not transfer to humans. If a human allows a dog to lick an infected area on them, it will make it worse. (I haven't read all the thread, I'm sure this has been addressed by now.)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I can see how these beliefs could have started 200 years ago. No one knew what germs are. They thought disease was caused by witchcraft or bad air. The fact I was told that shows people still believe it today.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

And people let dogs lick their mouth.

Sometimes, because I'm a well-trained owner, I'll even gak up some dinner for them after I let them lick me.

God dammit, Aug, I know you posted that for the reflexive bodily reactions

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

God dammit, Aug, I know you posted that for the reflexive bodily reactions

I can always send one of my two dogs who are on the clean up crew if you couldn't keep it down.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Osirisvset

originally posted by: Deetermined

C. canimorsus generally has low virulence in healthy individuals, but has been observed to cause severe illness in persons with pre-existing conditions.

en.wikipedia.org...

Something else is going on here and in my opinion, auto immune disorders are on the rise, for whatever reason.

We're constantly hearing more and more about the increase of deaths due to Sepsis, MRSA, and the resistance to antibiotics too.

People have become addicted to cleanliness. All dirt, bacteria and germs are banished and chemicals applied liberally to ensure they stay banished.
Once upon a time people were constantly exposed to these things that their immune system would easily overcome and as such they built up a strong resistance.
Many bodily systems go into "stasis" when unneeded and with a sterile environment the immune system has little to fight against, with nothing to to it is weakened to the point of disability.
Basically I believe the immune systems of these "clean freaks" and their offspring are very weak from a lifetime of little to no use/exercise.
As a consequence allergies, cancers, infections and the like face very little resistance, there are no active antibodies to crush invaders and its only getting worse.
Moral of the story is let your kids eat mud pies and ignore the constant antigerm hysterics.
Your body knows what its doing.

I believe you are absolutely right. The old addage, "use it or lose it" applies here. I work in my garden with my bare hands and eat vegetable directly from it.I eat fruit right off the tree. I believe in exposing the immune system. Haven't had a cold or flu since I was a kid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join